Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Akansas Chillin'
The mighty Arkansas river, where should I start? Its frikkin cold out there, thats a start I suppose. I thought that a overcast 60 degree day would be a great oppurtunity to try out some new scuds I got. As I neared the headwaters I noticed zero pressure on the water. Which is odd, this river fishes well all year round but if you go there often you must be strong caster. The wind rips through this canyon at high speed, so it isn't wierd to see guys with a 7wt out there. Or is it? But anyway this place is usually so packed you can't slip a fart without someone hearing it, or smelling it. Swerving back and forth trying to get a good look at the river, I noticed ice build up along the shore and expected the worst. Low water and ice is a bad mix for our little trout friends. The closer to Salida you go the more ice you'll see, so my best bet was spikebuck rec area. It had a few deep, slow moving sections of river and hoped for the best. I need to invest in a thermometer is all I thought of, it was cold and windy, and after a few location changes the wind got nasty. My 6wt was powerless to the brutal Jack Frost. A few nibbles from the good old rock fish is all I managed to get. I can sum up the trip like this, cold, slow, and pointless. The water is a bit slushy but is flowing well closer to Pueblo, just pack some coffee or jack whatever warms ya, and for god's sake pick a warmer day if you decide to brave it during these unpredictable winter months. And hope to catch something, my fishing ended up with no more than frozen guides, but satisfaction because I partially quenched my thirst to fish.Good Luck.[pirate]
[signature]