Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the Hot Saltwater Bites In your Area?
What are the Hot Saltwater Bites In your Area?

Who's catching fish right now, who, what, where, and on what? Come on guys give up the goods on whats hot right now!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
I just moved to San Diego and after a couple of months of trying to get my bearings here, my wife and I finally started catching a few fish. Then, we had to figure out what kind of fish we were catching. I've fished the Gulf of Mexico and the North East Coast and never saw anything like what they have here.

Actually, I had read a good deal and talked to the local bait and tackle store owners and knew that the different types of bass (sand, calico, kelp, etc.) and the very numerous types of rock fish were what was supposed to be biting here at this time of the year.

We started catching some nice sized ones off the whistle bouy out from the San Diego harbor. Unfortunately, the rock fish are off limits now due to reaching their quota for the year.

We are bottom fishing with either dead squid or live anchovies/sardines. Haven't caught a great deal but at least enough to keep us interested.

SD boater
[signature]
Hello Steven,

Congratulations on your recent move! Welcome to Sunny Southern Cal. Drop by the California boards under fishing reports (from the main page) and keep us posted!

You should really enjoy leaving in San Diego especially if you love fishing, there is some great fishing down your way, also some great Sport Fishing boats to go out on!!
[signature]

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Thanks Angler:

I think I'm going to love this place. Just being able to go out fishing in the middle of the winter is enough to keep me happy. Every where else I've been, the boat would have been winterized for some time now and fishing and boating would be something to dream about for the upcoming season. We really are lucky.

I sure would like to hear from others on the message board that may be from close to this area. I come here every day and have really enjoyed reading about the fishing and other information that is available. What a great source of information.

From what I understand, the fishing is still pretty good close in around San Diego, and I intend to keep going out as long as the weather cooperates.

SD-boater
[signature]
[cool]The SanDawg 3/4 day & overnighters are whackin' fish in Mexican waters that bear a remarkable resemblance to the extinct ling cod & bocaccio, as well as other rockfish.

Best to go on a weekday, tho. They just absolutely pack on as many as they can sell tickets for. Weekends the boats can be unfishable.

edit: Oh yeah, the 1/2 days are loading up on sandies & calicos.

Welcome to SanDawg, Steven! [Smile]

Fishslayer
[signature]
Hey Fishslayer:

Thanks. We just got our new licenses for the US and Mexico and are heading out Friday and Saturday. I've been reading all the reports I can get my hands on, and apparently people are catching cod, rockfish and bass in Mexican waters. I've got some fishing charts of the area, and intend to see what's biting by the Coronado Islands. Any idea on what to use for bait? We've been using live/dead anchovies/sardines from the bait barges along with some dead squid. My artificials haven't caught any thing so far.

Steve
[signature]
[cool]Live sardines are fine as is squid. Iron jigs & rubber baits will work too. If you find them and they're biting they're not generally too fussy. Oh yeah, if ya hang a really small rockfish try sending it back down! Wink

Fishslayer
[signature]
[size 2][size 1]Hello Guys,[/size]

[size 1]Steven have you scrolled down to the California boards their on the main message board page just scroll down to the fish reports section to the California boards. You can find some locals to your area in there as well.[/size][/size]
[signature]

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Hey Angler:

Yep, I've been following the California message boards and was going to post a message there regarding the great two days of fishing we had weekend before last.

Steve
[signature]
Hello Steve,

Glad to hear it, I'll look forward to reading the report!
[signature]

TheAngler BFT Moderator
try the la holla kelp beds. but wait till the water is warmer. right now i think it is only about 57 degrees. well, thats up at catalina island. i've only fished down in san diego once, and the la holla kelp beds really produced some nice calicos!!!

joe
[signature]

Hey Steven,

If you fish in and catch fish in Mexico that are off limits or out of season in California, you will need to have a declaration for your fish upon re-entering US waters unless you want DFG to get on your case.

Check out the regs if you are not familiar with the procedure. Don't want you to have any realllllllllly expensive fishing trips. ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
Steven come up to Lb to fish on the VICTORY. We'll get you on fish, whether its the "Gray Davis" "Endangered" fish or some bigger Calicos.

Latr,

Aaron
[signature]
[Wink][size 4]dines and squid is a fishes candy! all about flylining a squid or dine for the yellows!!![/size]
[signature]