Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cache Valley reports?
Is there any fishable Ice in Cache Valley, Cutler, Hyrum, porcupine? How are the Kokanee in porcupine since they lowered the water to repair the damn? I've caught kokanee at soldier creek through the ice using a pink ratfinke inside a 1 1/2" glow tube jig. Does anyone have any suggestions for kokes that they would like to share?

Thanks

fdg
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]No ice on Hyrum. I live across the street and see it everyday. Don't know how the fishing is. Never fish there.[/size][/font]
[signature]
You never fish there? Its a great place to go when you you are short on time and want to do some fishing. It is also a great place to introduce kids to ice fishing. Have you been over to Bear Lake lately? I haven't had time to go lately. I am planning to go New Years Day for awhile.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Every weekend I'm at Bear Lake. It's just what I like to do. But I would like to go catch some white bass in Utah Lake...........[/size][/font]
[signature]
Ice is still pretty scarce up here. We just haven't had the cold temps we usually have by now. There is ice forming on Cutler but it isn't safe yet. Ice has been on for a couple weeks but it's not cold enough to thicken it up. Hyrum and Porcupine are wide open still. Mantua may be getting close though, it had a good ice sheet on last friday but I don't know how thick.
I was going to mention that Doug Miller had a show a few months back concerning the Koke in porcupine and the biologist was saying that the population was very healthy and needed some pressure. I believe the 2003 regs says you can keep up to 12 kokanee. They must be doing well.
[signature]
Hi Fish dog , I have never caught any Kokanee thru the ice . I was wondering what depth did you catch the kokes at ? Were you suspended or on bottom ? tight lines .
[signature]
I got this set-up from a guy I used to fish with all the time. It works quite well at soldier creek north of the marina in about 30'of water. Its the only place and way that I have been able to catch kokes through the ice.

Put a large pink or glow ratfinkee inside a 1" red headed tube jig cut off the tails. Slide this into an 1 1/2" or 2" Glow tube jig. Normally you have to lubricate the inside of the larger tube jig to get the smaller one in. I used crawdad/anise attractant for the lubrication. Squirt a couple of drops inside the large lager tube jig and try not to get it on the outside because it makes it harder to insert. Make a few of these at home, its tough to do on the ice. Fish 30" off the bottom, actively jigging. A 2 lb koke is tough to get through the ice, they fight 4 times as hard as a 2 lb cut.

fdg
[signature]