Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fallen through the ice
[Sad] Sad as it may be and no one hates to report this more than I, but it happens every year.

Some one always falls through the ice and every year some one dies from doing so.

The ice season has just begun and already we have 4 deaths resulting from some one going through the ice.

Our first report comes from Massachusetts on the weekend of December 14-15-2002. One young lad falls through the ice and three other young lads die in the attempt to save the one fallen through.

The ice can be a joy and a pleasure to play on if precautions are taken. Please check the ice before wondering on. And if you are the least bit leery please stay off the ice. And if you are absolutely positive the ice is safe then you don’t belong on the ice. Give the ice its respects and you will stay safe.

One inch of ice may hold up your weight, it is most dangerous when there are springs and moving waters entering and/or exiting the ponds and lakes. 3 inches is not much comfort when there is moving waters. So please test all ice before wondering on, even in the dead middle of winter, better safe than otherwise.
[signature]
My heart goes out to the familys of the children that passed away.

Most people do not realize how deadly cold water can be. I think of all the times we went out on first ice without safety equipment and a rescue plan, and what could have happened. We were darn lucky!

Every year I see people blindly take chances not knowing any better. We have watched anticipating a rescue many times, thankfully so far we haven't had to risk our lives to rescue someone.

I found this on the alaska fish an wildlife web site:

A person weighting 150 pounds has a 50/50 chance of swimming 50 yards in 50 degree water. Not very good odds.

I carry a rope, ice picks, space blanket, extra clothes in the truck. Always check questionable ice for thickness from the waters edge all the way out to where your fishing.

Know where the springs are located, areas that have current, and watch for pressure ridges(big cracks).

Please be careful and be prepared!

Merry christmas and a Happy new year! Aron
[signature]
What a tragedy!! Great advise guys!! Be prepared!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
i,m so sorry to hear about this. i hope everybody has a SAFE FUN HOLIDAY NO MATTER WHAT WE DO.
[signature]
i to grieve for the families , in my youth one of our neighbors lost two of there kids ( 6and7 ) to thin ice . i have gone thru once myself and known the terror it brings . please be safe out there , know the conditions and the curents before you go out on the ice .
[signature]
yeah you too. hope ya had a good christmas. my boy told me yesterday that on everetts pond they were catchin alot of perch a big pickeral came out. he said it was 8 inches some places but remember with alot of our other pond up here they are nothin but spring fed pond. so in some areas he said he could tell with that blue ice it was only a couple of inches, just watch yourselves. i haven,t ever fallen thru thank god but got scared once when they were takin them off in helicopters off the ice in the back places of champlain and the cars and trucks were fallin thru the ice. so be careful. i,m up here in vermont too. we just got 14 inches of snow last nite. jack did some shovelin this mornin!! haha later happy holidays to all mare
[signature]
good luck there , and with all that snow , remember it acts like insulation over the ice and lets the warmer lake water melt the ice .
[signature]
SMART DUDE![laugh] GOOD ADVICE TOO I NEVER THOUGHT OF THE ICE PICK. THAT WOULD ALSO BE SMART TO TIE ROPES TO EACH SHANTIE GOIN OUT THRU TOO AND BACK HUH? I THINK SO. SAFETY FIR EVERYBODY. [cool]
[signature]
on the same Sad note , monday we lost another fellow angler who was suposed to meet with his friend at there favorite fishing spot , the freind was running late and discovered his seventy year old partner floating in the river . apparently he lost his footing and was swept under by the current . i'm assuming they were fly fishing .
just a reminder , during these cold weather conditions , play it safe and don't play it alone if possible . open water or ice it's still deadley cold , you only have a few seconds before it can take your life . be careful and keep an eye out for your brothers and sisters while fishing .
[signature]
police in grand traverse county are continuing there search and recovery efforts in long lake for two snowmobilers who went thru the ice last night . the peoples screams for help were heard last night but police could not pinpoint the area until this morning . tracks from the snowmobiles led to an open patch of water and two people who were snowmobiling have been reported as missing .
[signature]
sounds like traverce city needs to envest in to a hovercraft.

port huron had to finaly get one this year, the choper ride was too costly and not safe enough to rescue anglers on questionable ice.
[signature]
shacks fell through in Dekota County in minisota today.

they are expected to be froze in by tonight with temps droping to -1.

shanty owners are warned to stay away from the shanties and not to risk their life
[signature]
update , one of the bodys was recovered today , a few hours after that another icefisherman went thru and has not been recovered , same lake . the news report showed his snowmobile and trailer sitting on the ice and the hole he went thru a few feet away .
[signature]
another 4 additional snowmobilers presumed drowned here in the north , 2 of them on the same lake as the other 3 previous . the other two were each on seperate lakes .
[signature]
they just dont relize that it hasnt been cold enough.

the weather man reporting that weather conditions are normal or below normal aint helping matters eather. this fals informaiton is just going to continue to get folks hurt.

when our weather man here in detriot says that temps at nite are goint down to 19 degrees is below normal it give a false sence of security to folks who dont know the truth is that the temps are way above normal and have been for the past 20 winters with one or two as exception.

the global worming is real and is a majore factor in the formation of ice. (more the lack of)

I wished they would stop doing that. these kids down hare havent the real information of what winters and temps used to be like 25 - 30 - 40 - 50 years ago when we had ice to fish on in november as a norm.
[signature]
Dave,
This winter is turning out to be a verry unsave one already. I am expecting to have to report simaler cases here in Southern Ohio soon. We now have ice on most lakes in the area. The ice is not more than 2" at best. Even with the temps staying below freezing the sun during the day is keeping the ice thin. Dave is right about the global warming as Ice in this area has not been safe to walk on for over 15 years now. Might be over 20. The last safe ice I remember was back in 88 or 89. We have kids trying each year to test their luck and venture out on the ice in the years we actualy have any. Not a nice picture when one goes through. I pray and hope this gets enough publicity to save lives of the normaly uninformed.
[signature]
man and snowmobile fall through on chomming lake in south lion michigan, man was saved by neighbor changing his patio light monday 13th

man looses his snomobile on walled lake today monday 13th

with the freeze and thaw and refreeze there is no uniform ice any where in the state of michigan.

Lake walkers be ware and take care.
[signature]
news correction on the list , not seven this weekend up here , it now stands at ten people . d.n.r. reports when approaching a fault in the ice the weight of the snowmobile pushes that side of the fault down and the snowmobile goes under the second side , then the first side goes back up trapping the rider underneath . ( not in all cases but a vast majority of the disapearences of the machines on ice )

if you are luckey to survive going thru , minimum recovery fees start at just over $1000.00 , throw in fines from various state and local authorities , search and rescue , ambulance and hospital costs and then maybe the thought of loosing all that cash will change these peoples minds .
[signature]
Fox 2 News of Detroit reported today that there are 11 deaths now in michigan that have resulted from falling through the ice so far this year.
[signature]
another man and snowmobile fell in at lake st. clair sunday 19th,

he was ice fishing, when the wind caught his shanty and blew it across the bay, the man jumped on his snowmobile and chased after it.

he fell through,

a boy saw the man go through and ran in after him, with a rope tied to him he jumped in the fridged waters only to come up short, he is pulled out by other anglers who gathered together to hold on to the end of the rope.

he makes another attempt, and swims more than 30 feet through the frozen slush and wraps his rope around the man, the 10 anglers who had now gathered to gether to man the rope pulled both the boy and the man from the snomobile to safety.

the man who was saved was certain that he was seeing death, he had no hopes of being rescued, and is now searching for the un-named hero, cause the boy did not leave his name.

the man recovering in the hospitol is indead vary lucky and vary greatfull that the young man with a rope was there. and wants to talk to the boy who saved his life.
[signature]