Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X-Trip at Lincoln Beach
[cool][#0000ff]I posted more of a fishing trip report on the Utah Board, but thought I would put up some additional tubing related info and pics over here. The weather was great but the fishing was almost a no-show. I did get one decent white bass and a dandy 7.8# channel cat for my efforts.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been tinkerin' in the garage again, and put together a new sonar mount, both for the display and for the transducer. I have some modifications in mind and will post pics when I get the final design worked out. In a nutshell, I put the sonar display mounting bracket on a strapped down base, up through the left front pocket of my Super Fat Cat (see the pic). It stays put and I just detach the display and put it in a special little cooler that also holds the battery and fits behind the seat (watch for pics soon). I also changed the location of the transducer rod mount to the left rear, rather than the front rear. It is now out of the way, still easily reachable, and can be left installed. I just rotate it to raise or lower it at launching and beaching (pics later).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of my most important experiments was the new molded plastic chair. I have been fighting the wimpy seat design of the Super Fat Cat since I bought it over two years ago. The standard seat back is too low, and the bottom tends to be very uncomfortable after awhile, and allows me to slip forward too easily. I need to keep adjusting my position for comfort and to avoid slipping off the front.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had considered getting one of those fold down boat (and pontoon) seats, but they are heavy and bulky. I had also been wondering about using a cut down lawn chair seat. I actually made one in Arizona, but never tried it before we moved. It got trashed without ever seeing the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Recently, I flashed on using one of the plastic contour seats from one of those cheap chairs you sometimes find in waiting rooms. I spotted one at a yard sale a few days ago and scored it for $2. Took the padded (luxury) seat off the chrome base and plopped it onto my SFC. Just the right fit. I drilled a couple of holes, one on each side of the lower bend, to accomodate the hooks from a bungee cord. I then ran the bungee cord around the back of the back rest of the tube's seat, to hold my chair in place.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I launched yesterday morning, the chair felt strange at first. It made me ride a couple of inches higher. But, after "settling in" for a few minutes it was comfortable. I kicked around for several hours yesterday, with much more comfort than usual, and I only needed to adjust my position a couple of times all day for comfort.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The cushion in the chair soaked up some water, and it was heavier when I took it off than when I launched. But, otherwise, I like it. If I have to carry the SFC very far to launch it, I will probably go without the seat, but for closeup launches it is great.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My only "negative" is that the back is still just a bit shorter than I would like. I am tall and the seat could have been about two inches higher for my tastes. I will keep looking for another score, and hopefully find one with a higher back.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I can see where these chairs would also be good for folks in tubes and toons that do not have the raised seating. I sat "low in the Saddle" myself, for many years, and tried to use high density foam, inflated cushions and other devices to raise me up a bit. Once they started making tubes and kickboats with elevated seating, both TubeBabe and I thought we were in heaven...compared to the old style.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Well, back to the garage. I have a new idea for incorporating the sonar mounting base with an "outrigger" holder base. Sound wierd? Wait and see.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Interesting idea ol' buddy..

I need to get out and try to pester a few kitties and thin out the whities.

Looks like the Green Goober slime is in fine shape. How was the local traffic?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There was nobody else at Lincoln Beach, from the time I launched until about 9:30. No waders, no boaters and only one vehicle at the end of the jetty. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The first boat came out of the harbor just before I caught my cat. Of course, they had the whole lake and they zeroed in on me. They first started fishing over the first spring. But, as soon as I hooked my cat, they motored over and dropped anchor right on top of where my bobber went down. In fact, they were set up and casting all around me before I even got my fish up to the net.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Two other boats came out, but one went to the far west end of Lincoln Beach and the other was out trolling in deeper water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once the water drops a couple more degrees, and the walleyes move in more, there will be plenty of "company". The difference this year is that the water is deeper and many of the former favorite spots are tough to reach by wading, without risking a "Lincoln Beach Baptism".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 1]I like your new seat idea. The seat on my little pet has been a source of frustration (and lower back pain) all season. One question though, would a seat like that slide back and forth against the rigid foam of the regular Fat cat and be unstable? If not, I might just have to hit a yard sale or 2.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am not sure, but I intend to find out. I have both a Super and a regular Fat Cat. The regular has the foam seat and I plan to try out the new seat on it ASAP. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I suspect that it will work fine, without having to make any modifications. Even though that closed cell foam seems pretty rigid, it does have some resiliency and is likely to sink a little to form around the hard lower surface of the seat. At least, with my weight it should.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If the foam seat does not give enough, you can insert a thin sheet of foam rubber or even a towel, to make a softer and more accomodating surface. The other option would be to carefully scoop out a shallow depression where the "bowl" of the seat would fit. I hate to cut if I don't need to, but a little depression in that area would probably make for more comfort and stability than the plain hard seat. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The foam they use for those seats is tough stuff. I doubt you could do much to damage or destroy it. Too bad I can't say the same for the inflated seat in the Super Fat Cat. Oh well, another quality product from our "offshore" friends.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am on the lookout now for a higher backed model of those contour plastic seats. I think I am on to something. I have proven the concept to my satisfaction. Now I have to refine it a bit.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]That seat looks pretty cool, TD. My fishcat II's foam seat seams to work great for my satisfaction. I sure like it better than the sit down with your waist in the water types of tubes. I have to adjust 3 or 4 times each trip, but that's o.k. for me. Eventually I do want a bigger tube though like the Fat Cat. I'm now a little leary of the Super Fat Cat though, by how you've described the comfort of the air up seat. I thought that would be a plus compared to my foam seat, but now I'm not so sure.

That really sucks about the two idiots that had the whole lake and "had to" come up right on top of where you were. They must not have too much confidence in their own angling abilities if they feel they have to go EXACTLY where they just saw someone land a fish. Morons![pirate]

I haven't checked the W forcrash for this Saturday yet, but as of right now, I'm still planning on LB. Last I heard it was going to be 68 and partly sunny/cloudy.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Well, in typical "guy" fashion, I did not check my "social calendar". Saturday is wedding day for TubeBabe's number one son, so I gotta play dutiful stepdad. Hope the weather is better than the game.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Have fun at that wedding, TD. I'll try to catch one for you. My team just might win (yeah, right), as they came back in the 4th quarter the other night and beat New Mexico at their place. We were down by 10 points at the time. Maybe we do have some guts/heart? We'll see how this one vs. CSU goes.

Looks like a West wind of 8mph. Hope the 'eyes are biting. I'll let ya know...
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Have a great time at the wedding TD. I was planning on going to Lincoln on saturday, but I am going to chase some ducks and geese instead. Hopefully I get some. Good luck out there O4T. Let us know if them eyes are willing to play yet.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have been able to work out a quick morning trip on Friday, so I will see if I can find some fishies and post a report.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck with the birds. Do they make good walleye bait?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]I don't know...... Maybe I'll have to try it one day.[Tongue][/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Good luck in the morning, TD. Hope you knock 'em dead out there! I'm not sure if I'm gonna go after panfish up at Mantua, or after the 'eyes at UL. I'm partially going to base my decision on how you do tomorrow. I have a feeling you'll hook into a big 'eye again, but hopefully this time he/she won't be an escape artist!
[signature]