Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
yuba 10/10 monday
Well it was a nice day so i went down to yuba for some bow action.It was a little slow today only managed one 5lber.But i guess they were to busy herding the minnows against the rocks and thrashing them to pay any attention to any lures.So since the bite was slow i took my dog lucky wabbit hunting.Man those jack rabbits are fast![sly] It was fun seeing her running after them wabbits![Tongue] Oh well she went 0 for 6 kinda like the yankees tonite![pirate] At least one of us didnt get skunked!
[signature]
Glad you could make it out again ocean. Only one 5 pounder...what a tragedy[Wink]
[signature]
Ocean only one five pounder.[cool] The Utah trout commander must be wearing on you.[Wink] He was disappoined only catching 20 lbers.[crazy] All joking aside thanks for the report.
[signature]
[cool]Great report, ocean! I hope Yuba gets a nice icecap this year. It sure would be a nice alternative to how crowded Strawberry gets in January when the masses find out the lake has good ice on it! Fortunitely, most 'berry ice fishers aren't aware that the lake has many safe (and fast) locations with safe ice in early Dec. Woops, hope I didn't let the cat outta the bag...[Wink][crazy]

Anyhooters, when the berry gets too crowded with the masses this Jan., I think I might try Yuba. Should be good times and WAY less crowds!
[signature]
Yuba was kinda scary last year.There was some thick ice but out there but there was also a lot of thin ice in the mix. I was told that there are some certain spots there that are more dangerous than others.I am pretty sure later in the year when it does freeze over the yuba ice experts will be giving us the were to and not go ice fishing.Let me know if you want to go make a trip down there i have a gas auger and a sled dog.[Tongue]
[signature]
[cool]That sounds cool, ocean. We should go give it a shot out there on the ice (once it's safe, i.e. 4 inches or so.)

I have a feeling that the tubemeister might ice fish it this year (his old stomping grounds) and have a report for a lot of us.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Ocean, did you replace that "auger" you used last year? You know, the pile of rocks? I seem to recall we gave you a lot of flak for tossing rocks on the ice where they would trash our augers later.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did make a couple of exploratories last year, but the times I hit it were early in the ice season and the ice was still thin enough to make my nether regions pucker, so I did not really work it over like I wanted to.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The water was rising rapidly and the off and on winds kept big cracks forming in the ice and tended to stack up big ice drifts along the shoreline. Even when the ice was thick enough to fish, there were open areas around the edge that made things iffy at best.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did venture out near the dam and along the north shore on one trip. You can see my auger and gear laying on the ice in one of the attached pics. I drilled holes and checked with sonar from shallow out to about 40 feet deep. That's about all I could brave when it only took a few turns of the auger to reach water. I did not meter any fish in that area.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fish are in that area during open water because the breezes blow their food chain up against the shore and the dam. Once the lake is covered with ice, the fish have several other areas around the lake that they tend to frequent more, because of underwater contours and structure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There has been some modifications and structure added during the low water periods of the drought. Also, there are many areas around the lake that now contain flooded brush and weeds. Until that eventually rots and disappears, those areas will gather fish too. It will take some time and some "prospecting" to get a feel for the "new" Yuba.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, in years past, the big attraction was the toad perch, with an occasional walleye or northern in the mix. Trout were rare. For the next couple of years at least, the trout will be the main draw, with a few perch (which still must be released). With the size of those trout, however, it is worth a trip if we can locate their wintering areas and figure out what they want under the ice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe and I are codgertatin' about a tubin' trip down there on Saturday the 22'nd, maybe a combo shot with Lincoln Beach as a stop before or after Yuba.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You just had to bring that up didnt ya![Tongue] Yes i upgraded from a rock auger to a gas one.[sly]
[signature]
[cool]"Ocean's auger," ROTFLMBO!!!!! Sorry, cesar, just couldn't help laughing at that. You former Floridians are funny on the ice[Tongue]. Hey, I look forward to ice fishin' with ya this winter, man.

TD, hope you and TB can make it down there to Yuba next weekend and tell us all how it is from a tubing standpoint. I really hope to make it down there this late fall or on the ice. Just interviewed for a new job that would be good for my financial (fishing gas money, etc. too) situation so if I get it, I should be able to drive further distances to pursue the fishies. Have fun at the wedding this weekend. Hope it goes very well.

I'm gonna try to catch an 'eye or two and and maybe a K. Latest forcrash is NOW calling for the storm to hold out till Sun or Mon, but may be windy on Sat. If that happens I'll beach the tube and wade out (where it's safer next to "the locals" past the L at the end of the orchard) or just shore fish at the 3rd springs area (where I caught my 8 pound K last year).

Good fishin'.
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]I don't think there is going to be any of us locals out there. Haven't heard anything down the chain. Nobody fishing just yet.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Really? Man, I thought there'd be a ton of guys fishing in their waders out in front of the orchard past the L by now. I'm really surprised about that, but I believe you. I hope that AT LEAST the big cats are biting on Saturday. It's supposed to be in the low-mid 70's now, so hopefully that will warm up the water enough in the afternoon for the cats and white bass to bite anyway. When are you going back out there, Skot?
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]I don't know. I'm trying to help my buddy finish his boat so we can take it out there. I hate wading when the water level is up a little bit like this year. Don't like to swim with the fishies, rather catch them if you know what I mean.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]