Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FLY FISHING FOR STRIPERS ???
I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO FLY FISH FOR STRIPER . I HAD NEVER TRIED TOO... ALSO IF YOU CAN WHAT WOULD YOU USE
[signature]
yes it is, i use a 9wt.flyrod,floating line and a size 1/0 silver streamer.i never caught anything over 34 inches,but the schoolies are a handful
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4][green]Hi there Striperking and welcome to our site. Likewise I have never fished for stripers but from what I have heard and read catching them on a fly rod can be a real challenge. The eight and nine weight rods that were used for spring and summers stripers should be put away until next season. Ten to twelve weight graphite fly rods with stiff butt sections will be the rods of choice for these cows. Besides having to cast larger flies into stiff winds, you will need a stick that will enable you to put pressure and leverage on a big fish. Make sure that your rods are in perfect working order. Cracks, nicks, or loose guides will end your fight prematurely and leave your off on the sidelines with a three piece rod that used to be two. Your reel should have a smooth cork disc drag system with the capacity to hold 200 yards of 30-pound backing. Although stripers are not known for extremely long runs, it is always better to be prepared with more backing than to be spooled. Large arbor reels are recommended but not required. The larger diameter spools will give you a greater "rotation to line retrieve ratio" by allowing you to gain more line per wind should the fish decide to swim directly toward you. When targeting trophy stripers from the beach an intermediate fly line will be your workhorse eighty percent of the time.[/green][#000000] [/#000000][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]