Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Indian River Fishing Report
October 12, 2005

INSHORE:
The weather has cleared up this week and provided great fishing conditions. The water is still somewhat stirred up from all the recent rain and winds, but there is lots of bait in the river still and the feeding frenzy continues this week. The water level continues to be higher than normal with all the runoff and that will allow fishing some areas not normally accessible.

Snook are being taken along the bridges and turning basin at night. Live bait and jigs are the best choices for night fishing. Early mornings will find snook feeding on the bait schools on the flats. Top water will get you some nice blasts at daybreak. We caught some nice snook from 18" to 24" this week and lost one 30+ on the flats. Gold spoons have also proved to work great on snook just after sunrise.

Trout are biting on the flats at daylight on top water and also hitting soft baits and gold spoons. Some nice slot size trout are out there enjoying the bait pods. Look for clean water later in the morning and try some live shrimp on popping corks. Bear Point will pick up as the water clears. Try around the flats from the Power Plant and also up around Harbor Branch on the west side. If you find bait....you should find fish!

Jacks are everywhere in numbers and wreaking havoc all over the flats. There are some large schools out there ripping into the bait and providing lots of fun for light tackle anglers. Ladyfish are also in on the fall feeding and both will hit just about anything you toss their way.

Tip of the Week:
I love being on the water. There is so much wildlife out there to enjoy while fishing or just taking a lazy boat ride. Watching an egret diving for dinner. Today, several manatees were playing all over the flats around me. Egrets steadily working the shallow flats for their lunch. We live in a wonderful area and I hope you take the time to appreciate the wildlife that inhabit your favorite fishing spots.

Have a great week on the water. Remember, fishing is not just another hobby.....it's an ADVENTURE!

Good fishing and be safe,
Captain Charlie Conner

email me at: [url "mailto:captaincharlie@fishtalescharter.com"]captaincharlie@fishtalescharter.com[/url]
visit my web site at: [url "http://www.fishtalescharter.com/"]www.fishtalescharter.com[/url]