Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake - 12/23/02
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Fished Bear Lake today. Thought we’d launch on the Eastside at First Point. Forget it! Unless you want to put your tow vehicle up to the doors in the water, First Point is out of the question. We ended up going back to the State Park Marina in Garden City. If you don’t mind launching through the rocks, Cisco Beach is probably the only option to launch on the eastside. Rainbow Point ramp is also high and dry from all the reports I’ve seen and is probably unlaunchable. The conditions when we launched were 12 degrees air temp, 40 degrees water temp, calm with a slight breeze. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3] [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We headed straight for the rock pile area. What a brisk ride! The windshield on my 14’ center console was heaven sent but Jeff, in the seat in front of the console, was doing all he could to find a way to keep his face out of the wind. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We anchored in 87 ft of water and within 15 minutes, Jeff landed an 8-pound mack. We commented on what a good way to start the day if only we knew what lie ahead. There was very little activity on the sonar. The fish weren’t very active so we decide to move around trying to find fish. It seemed to be the same everywhere. We talked to some other boats and all were having the same sort of day. There were boats trolling and jigging but the results were the same. No activity and very few fish.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]By 3:00 pm and only three fish caught; all by Jeff, we decide to head back for the marina and try our luck, I needed to catch something. I was on the verge of getting skunked! We anchored up and low and behold I finally hooked up and caught a little 2 lb cutt. No skunk today! [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]What was the best lesson I learned today? DON’T FORGET YOUR INSULATED COVERALLS! I ended up wearing my waders today because I left the insulated coveralls at home. I’m lucky the waders were in the truck. 5mm of neoprene insulated pretty well but they really need to work on those boots. I had cold feet all day! Also don’t forget your sunglasses in the truck. Even on cold days, the sun reflects off the water just as bad.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]All in all it was a good day on the Bear, cold, clear and slow fishing but no better way to spend a day in this boy’s opinion.[/size][/font]

[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hey, Tony! What's up? Ya, those fish put me to the test today. You just got to remember why you're out there. I just keep thinking " Just that one fish, just that one fish....." but not today. I did have one REALLY good mark today. The dang thing was huge! Lots of gray scale showning air bladder. He probably took one look at the jigs and laughed and swam on. I did have a few bites I didn't connect on but still very, very slow. It seems like I spent more time clearing ice from the guides on my rod than anything else. I doubt it got above freezing all day long. Still, all in all, just a great day to be out. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Good to hear from you. Put that shotgun away and let's go fishin'! [/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Merry Christmas to you and all the fishinfools![/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]BLM, what color of jigs were you using? I know that when it's kind of slow, it's hard to zero in on the "best" color for the day, but what would you say was doing the best for you? I'll bet you can't guess why I'd like to know ... [Tongue] ... (Hint: Come-on Thursday ...)[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Jeff used a pearl with maribou. I used pumpkinseed then switched to salt & pepper. We had to go to heaver jigs because the wind kept shifting around swinging the boat on the anchor rope. Consider taking a sea anchor or second anchor off the bow to stablize the boat swing. The wind wasn't strong but it couldn't make up it's mind which way it wanted to blow. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We'll be up there Thursday. I tried to find someone to go up today but for some reason Christmas Eve has quite a few folks busy! Guess I'll go see The Two Towers today! Heck, I wouldn't mind going Christmas Day but even my wife has her limits! HA![/size][/font]
[signature]
I was just getting ready to PM you to find out what the launching conditions were but you already told me, was there much ice in the marina or on the ramp? WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Two lanes on the ramp are plowed. The rest of the ramp has packed snow 2-3 inches deep. There is ice on the ramp from the boats draining water as they are being taken out; 4WD is suggested. 2WD is iffy about getting back up with a loaded trailer unless you've got good tires and maybe even studs. A little salt or snow melt can be helpful. Throw a little behind and in front of the tires to help melt the thin layer of ice on the ramp and aid in traction.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The air pumps are flowing in the main channel of the marina. There is ice everywhere else up to 1" thick or more. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Suggest a GOOD battery on your boat. There was a guy who had launched and couldn't get his boat started because the battery he charged the night before was dead.[/size][/font]
[signature]