Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Kid Poles"
Looking for reels that kids can use successfully. There must be a middle ground between "KID" (junk) reels and baitcasters/levelwinds. I have just purchased an ABU Garcia Abumatic 276 that I hope will get us there. Looking for options that children can work with out failures. I like levelwinds but hard to teach a child on a 3 hour boat outing. Ideas, comments welcome.

Love Life and Life Will Love You Back.
[signature]
I am not sure what type of fish you are going after, but I initially intended to respond that the junk kits would be a good idea. My recommendation would definetely be a spincating reel, on an appropriate length rod. You may eant to partially assemble a travel rod or something. I am partial to the 404 reel, but a lower strength should be fine for the kid and probably easier to work.
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Yeah I think that a spincast setup would be easier for the kid to start off with. Then you can try to teach them later about baitcasting reels. Let them get the hang of fishing for. Even older kids have a hard time learning with baitcasting reels. I know I sure had (still sometimes have) trouble with baitcasting reels. Just my 2 cents worth.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I have a small rod set up with a spinning reel for my 7 year old granddaughter. It only took her a few casts to get it down. This was to up grade her from the barbie pole. Kids learn pretty fast. I picked the reel up on Harleyrods.com and the rod at Dicks sporting goods. Total cost was about $25
[signature]
I still love spincasting reels the most. I have spinning combos as well, but I will tell you that I added a Zebco 404 to my Octane in lieu of the spinning reel that it came with. Way better overall, but I still do use the spinning reel sometimes.
[signature]
[Smile] Definetly, Spincast Reel. I took my newphew out this year..his parents bought him a spinning reel...what mess!
[signature]
zebco

I have pulled in 15 pound carp with the 202's dont let the dinky size scare you, they are mighty little power houses and worth thier weight in gold....
[signature]