Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COOL Sonar & Battery box
[cool][#0000ff]Several models of modern tubes have the pointed bow, with a small "storage area" behind the seat. I have the Outcast Super Fat Cat, which does. There are several other Outcast models with the same setup, and both Creek and Trout Unlimited sell some with that configuration.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have never liked having to deal with having my sonar battery in one of my pockets. I cram enough junk in there already, without having so much space (and weight) devoted to a battery and wires.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I recently looked at my little cooler in the garage that I set up for ice fishing sonar. I thought I would set up the battery in the box, and store the display there when not in use, just like I do on the ice. The only difference is that when ice fishing, I mount the sonar display base on the flat lid.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I tried it out for the first time this past weekend and it works great. I took some pics to provide visuals on just what I am talking about.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]To make a sonar box, you first find a small insulated cooler big enough to hold both your battery and display unit...when not in use. Then, find a piece of 2" thick styrofoam and cut it to fit down inside the box. Use a long sharp blade to carefully cut out first a hole into which you fit the battery. Then, do the same for a hole for the display unit. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Keep the "plug" you cut out for the display and put it back into place when you remove the display for installation and use. It serves a dual purpose. It keeps everything snug in the box, but it also provides added insulation for the battery in cold weather. The colder it gets the faster your battery loses power. Having a thicker layer of foam around the battery will give you more time on the water before your sonar screen goes wacko. (I tied a piece of line around the plug to make getting it out of the hole easier.)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also moved my transducer shaft back to the rear of the tube, instead of where I had it nearer the front. I still use the stretch cord around the air chamber, to hold the shaft in place. I rotate it up for launching and beaching, and then rotate it down into position when I am in water deep enough to avoid dinging the transducer on a rock.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am already looking for a sturdier box, with just a bit more space...for more insulation. I also plan to install a quick-connect plug in on the outside of the box (to the battery), with the male end on the sonar. I have seen those used by the ice fishing fans and they seem to be a great idea. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice work!, I might go to that. I like my current set-up for the battery, but this would allow 1-2 more containers of lures/plastics in the side storage which is always desirable. I currently use the back storage for my life vest, net, and sometimes waterbottles or lunch. The pics look like there is still room for that stuff around the cooler. Is that the case? Also, are the cables from the battery to the sonar at all in the way?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I put my life vest on top of the battery box with room to spare. I also carry a waterproof bag to store extra layers, either to put on or take off. Plenty of room both beside and on top of the box.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I cut and spliced my cable, so I don't have more than about three feet between the battery and the display. Just right. I tuck it under some little velcro strips along the side pocket on my left and never now the wire is there. In fact, it used to be in the way a lot more than it is now. I'm attaching a pic to show how the wire got out of hand before, with the battery and the transducer all up front. Neat and clean now.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have a very similar small red and white cooler which I have been carrying in the wet storage area of my Fat Cat. Right now it is carrying extra tackle but if it keeps that dry I was actually thinking of doing what you've just done. Never thought of the extra foam insulation though. That looks like a great idea to keep everything snug and to keep the battery insulated from the cold.

Speaking of cold, the water I fish up here in Ontario is down to 55 degrees. It's time to either buy new neoprenes or cut out the stocking feet from my old neos and wear them under my vinyl waders.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Our water temps have been dropping pretty fast in Utah, too. Some of the higher elevation lakes are headed towards the mid 40 degree range.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I tubed several times this last winter when I was fishing next to the edge of ice or else dodging chunks of ice floating around me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I fish with 3mm neoprenes and two to three layers, depending on conditions. I ain't turned into a tubesicle yet.[/#0000ff]
[signature]