Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panfish on Tip-Ups
Does anyone have any tips for catching crappie or bluegill on tip-ups? I havn't had too much luck in the past using tip-ups for panfish...any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
[signature]
The catching of pan fish on a tip up is not uncommon but is not widely practiced because they tend to bite lightly.

You will need to have the lightest setup you can possibly make. It does not take much resistance to make a pan fish turn away from your set up
[signature]
Thanks davetclown,
Do you have any suggestions as to what type of bait (what I should tip my jigs with)? I use the larger tip-ups on the pike with braided line...I do have a couple tip-ups in which the reel is mounted on the side and the bail/release is left open ~would this be a better tip-up to use?
iI would sugest one that has the reel or spool under the water.

I use the poleres, but only for bass walleye and pike.

for bait I would stick to your typical grubs, larvae, spikes, wax werms and mousies and small minows for crappie.

when you say you have a spool that the bale stayes open are you talking about a home made set up with a spin cast open face reel?

what I use for pan fish is a lite weight rod with about 1 or 2 pound test ice fishing line. I like the noodle rod when you can find them. they bend with very little tention. In other words a 2 inch blue gill will bend the pole right over. I pull up the line by hand.

when I cant use a noodle pole I use a small bobber, 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter. if the fish feels the bigger bobbers they tend to let go long before you even know you have a bite.
[signature]
dave...the tip-ups I'm talking about are a kind that I bought (got 'em on clearance when they were discontinued). To make the idea more clear...they use a a regular spincast reel or even a spinning reel from either your summer or winter rig. The reel is clamped onto the side of a square-like frame that is connected tp a circular piece of plastic that covers your hole. The line comes out of the reel and goes through a "hair trigger" devise that releases the flag...then thru a small hole in the bottom of the circular piece and down into the water. I got these tip-ups for pike/walleye, but they proved to have too much of a "hair trigger" and the flag would go up and spook the fish before they took the bait. thanks again, lunkerpike
[signature]
sounds like you have what you need...

go with a light line and see what happens. [center][Image: MESS3307CustomImage0606374.gif][/center] [center]the water is stiff so come on [/center]
[signature]
bambi and thumper , ho,ho,ho !
[signature]
seems though i git there just fter you do everytime. hahah you founds rudolph first and now thumper nad bambi haha and i,m second.! haha at least i found him i been lookin lots. jhahah anyways as far as the panfishin, with the light tackle, when we had our shantie, we had a picture winder in itr, haha and we put a shelf on it made with a 2x4 on that we mounted a closed face like zebco 202 or johnson, and had the little silver line holder that was on the old time tip ups, and fasened that or nailed it comin off the 2x4 and laid the line on that. when ya got a hit they,d hit it and you,d know ya got one. what we,d do is take our finger and when they,re pullin down id pull up straight in the middle up so it would hookl em. and these were only little smelt. so if i could git 6-8 inch smelt with that rig up you should be able to with panfish. i still used 6lb stren. on the reels. it worked good for us. i hookled the silver line holder mabe 4-6 inches away from the reel so the line was straight and even comin out the reel to the silver piece, and they,d still paractically hook themselves. but ya really have to still nub em. i wish i knew how to explain it better. it was alunnimun piece that came off our old ice fishin reel wood one. with the flag on it. if i member there was a silver piece that held the flag up too but the other piece has a indent in it that lsys the line in it. but it worked. later mare
[signature]

[signature]
oh as far as bait, for panfish up here i use nite crawlers, do you guys? with my smelt we use to have the small silver jigs with the hook and run a i forgit 1/2 inch minner or inch for the trout. that,s right yeah. cause the jig would be heavy enough to hold em and just let em dangle and the current what there was was enough to git em to bite. course with my good rainbows i used a bigger jig. inch one. [laugh]
[signature]
We have been fishing the creeks off the main arm and catching lot of crappies on black or red chartoos.

Using a bobber and fisfing 3 to 4 feet down.The creek is only 10 to 12 feet deep.

Two of went out last weekend and cought over a hundered and keept 30.Thay were from 9 1/2 to 11 inches.

the law only let us keep 15 apeice and no less than 9 inches.
[signature]
that sounds great,

are you planning to enter on in the fishing derby here?

I am going to get my self out on the ice this weekend to hook up on them perch
[signature]