Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DEER????
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]I am stuck here at work, and will be here all weekend so I thought I'd be the first to post this. Who was lucky enough to bag a deer on opening morning or who was lucky enough to bag a deer. Post up on here. We would like to see pictures and hear the story.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I shot at a 32" or 33" wide buck yesterday morning. I got up into the area I wanted to be in before light, and when it was just light enough to shoot some moron with a bike came roaring into the area. Keep in mind it's a roadless area from the main road to the mountain, and it's ATLEAST a mile away from the main road. So that dumb @%#@#@ spooked him, and I had one quick shot before he got into a cedar thicket and up through the top. When I was going to check if I hit or not, I slipped on the shale and reinjured my already hurt knee. Chances are it tore my ACL even worse that what it was before, probly ending my hunting season this year. My brother and dad are out chasing that buck right now, so I'll let y'all know how they do.
Think ya mighta shot at the wrong critter?

Tempting thought ain't it?
[signature]
I was able to bag this 2 x 3 by about 9:30 am on opening morning. It's a very small 1 1/2 year old buck, with small antlers but that's fine since I had to drag the dang thing from the bottom of a steep ridge 400 - 500 yards back to the top (I managed to shoot him at the very bottom). I saw a bigger 3 point and took a shot at it from about 400 yards away while it was trotting along. Some idiots were also shooting at it from over 800 yards away at the top of the ridge, missing by more than 30 feet. They even kept shooting at it when it ran to a lower ridgeline with nothing behind it for a backdrop. Those type of people just piss me off -- someone could have been killed! Anyway, that one got away and dropped down over the ridge into some thick trees and private land.

A minute after, a few more does came running across, and this little buck following behind. They ran below me across the flat heading towards a stand of aspens. I took a couple shots at it from about 250 or 300 yards, the deer at full run, but kept not leading it far enough. Just before it got to the aspen stand, it stopped, letting the does go on ahead. When it stopped, I was about 350 yards, so I aimed just over it's back and fired. It flinched, but then trotted into the trees. I thought I had hit it (I found out later once I skinned it that I had in fact barely grazed its back, getting only skin and no backbone), but it kept going. My dad and another guy were just up the ridge from this stand of aspens, so we waited to see if the buck would head out the other side. The does did, but the buck never came out. After waiting for about an hour, I sent my little sister down the ridge, out onto the flat and around the backside of the aspens, and had her come back through the stand from the backside, pushing the deer back towards me.

That buck held tight till she was more than halfway though the aspen stand, then bolted out the way it came in, coming back towards me. It disappeared under the curve of the hill from me, so I ran downhill farther so I could get where I could see it pass underneath me. When it came into view, I stopped and took a shot at it (by this time it was only "jogging"). It instantly dropped. I didn't know if I had nailed it or if it dropped farther below my view, but when I went down there, I found it on the ground kicking its legs and rearing its head. One more bullet finished it off. My other shot ended up hitting it's front shoulder, but deflected away from the vitals. It apparently couldn't get up with only 3 legs though. So finally we got him back to the truck and took these pictures.
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=12702;]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=12703;]
Later that day, while pushing deer for my dad and another guy, me packing the 12-gauge, I came across this nice blue grouse and took him out too. Made a tasty dinner last night!
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=12704;]
[signature]
Heres my buck, I shot him on Monday. [signature]
[signature]
Nice buck....
I hope to harvest one like that someday...
Later
Jethro
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Nice buck! Hopefully next year I can get one like that for my wall. Nice job. Anybody else get their buck yet?[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I know I'm alittle behind the times but here is my deer I got on the opener of the muzzleload hunt this year. Not much of a story. I spotted him from along ways off then made a stalk to 150 yards and shot. Then I spent most of the day looking for him. He didn't bleed much and I lost sight of him in the oak brush. About 8 hours after the shot the horse fianally sniffed him out.
[signature]
Nice buck Travis, were you able to save the meat?
[signature]
I killed this deer on Thursday. Passed him up two days before, but wasn't seeing anything any better. Looked at 3 - 8 mature bucks a day but everything was inside of its ears and thin horned. Went back in and found him 500 yards from where he was the other day. Loaded him on the wheeler and had about three miles to get him out. As soon as I got him loaded in the truck and headed up the road, a half mile from where I was parked I found the buck I had been looking for all season. 100 yards off the road at a watering hole. 28" wide, as heavy as this buck and deep forked all the way around, just about made me want to cry. I looked at over 30 bucks 4 point or better and the second I settle a big boy walks out just to mock me. Oh well maybe next year.
[signature]
Yea the meat was still ok. It had been laying in the shade most of the day and as soon as I got it down to the house I skinned and deboned it. Put the meat in the fridge for a day or two then cut it up. Luckily none of had spoiled.
[signature]
That is lucky, it must have been cool for the meat to have been Ok after 8 hours. I had the same thing happen to me some years ago but I found the deer after four or five hours, I was lucky it was so cold that day.
[signature]
Last friday I headed out looking for a buck. I was limited on where I could hunt because my knee was still so sore. Plus we wanted to get away from the jackasses that were hunting up the mountain. So I hunted about 15 miles south of where I hunted the opener, and got to work. There are a lot of little patches of trees in little ravines in this area, and the deer are kind of hard to see. I was walking in with my dad, uncle and brother right early in the morning when a buck jumped out about 50 yards in front of us. When he finally came out I couldn't believe it. He was around 35" wide, with a whole lot of trash hanging off all over the place. After a few botched shots(what can I say. Buck fever set in on me and my bro big time) he got away and started up a canyon. We started up after him, going unusually slow(I take the blame). Finally we hit the patch of trees towards the top, and a big buck stepped out. I made the mistake of cracking him strait off rather that waiting to see if it was the big buck from earlier. My trusty .243 dropped him like nothing. It wasn't him, though. We walked up on a really good buck, but he wasn't no 35"er. He wound up being 28" wide, 26" tall and really deep forked. Green score of 196" B&C.

We got him cleaned up and packed out, and by that time it was dark. So the next morning we set out again looking for that buck, this time for my brother. Hiked all day, and jumped a bunch of does and smaller 18-26" class bucks, but not Mr. Big. So it came down to the last day. We hiked up the canyon again(thank the big man upstairs for loritab!) and started pushing patches for my brother. At noon we made our way up to a canyon we call the Big Black Hole. It's big, it's thick, and it's full of cliffs. Low and behold there was a big buck a ways down it, but not Mr. Big. My brother elected to take this buck instead. We stalked to about 250 yards, and my brother put his rifle across my spoting scope and cracked him. First shot just over his back. Normally that's all you'd get with these deer is one shot. But this boy was more interested in some nice doe rear end, which is unusual for it only being the end of october. So he tried again, this time nailing his buck right in the spine and dropping him. My dad took his gun and finished the buck off quickly. That deer wound up being 31" wide, with 6.5" bases and was a big old 3X3.

Not too shabby for just a normal, every day general Utah deer hunt if I can say so myself. The rain the desert recieved helped greatly. It put those deer into rut-like conditions, and the bucks were a whole lot stupider. Plus it got colder, which makes hiking a whole lot easier. I didn't get pictures with my digital camera. It was in Mrs. Jones's desk at school because we've been using it for Journalism. But I did get them on my mom's normal camera. So once I get the pictures developed I'll post them onto here.