Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Water Levels?
I'm a hard water man and honestly never fished Strawberry during open water. Fish it 20+ times a year with the hard water. [crazy]

Anyway, I haven't seen it since almost ice off last year and I'm curious the difference in water levels. +5, +10? What should we expect this year? I'm hoping a few ol' fishing spots will have deeper water this year. Last year it was only 6' deep and stunk. [unsure]

F4F
[signature]
I havn't seen any offical water level reports but it seems to me it has not gone up any and it has droped a couple feet.
[signature]
[#000099]feet below full[/#000099] [#000099]% full[/#000099] Flaming Gorge -15 84% Pineview -19 56% Echo -43 33% Lake Powell -97 49% Jordanelle -13 88% Deer Creek -20 69% Strawberry -17 76%

From KSL.
[signature]
The Sad part is that it is not going down the strawberry river below either. That river practically gets dewatered every winter the last few years. It is all part of that wonderful Utah Water Project. Personally I don't think they should build if they don't have the water to support it. Utah has the fastest growing population in the country and we are developing land faster than anywhere in the US. We should not be giving out any more building permits to all those areas that are requiring water to be piped from all over the state.

Just my .02
[signature]
The water levels now are practically the same as they were at ice off. They really haven't gone very much up or down this year at Strawberry.

I watch the water levels on the KSL water watch website and it's been interesting to see most reservoirs this year fill to full , and have now been drawn down some, but Strawberry only went up a couple of feet and then went back down those same couple of feet.
[signature]
Strawberry since they filled it (the new larger resevoir) for the first time in 97 only fluctates a few feet.
[signature]
I have to agree with ya tightline. Lots of new houses, and no new reserviors! Something needs to be done soon or we are going to be in a lot of trouble. Bad thing is getting a new dam past all the red tape and environmental garbage...not that I don't want to do the right thing for the environment, but we have to think ahead and not try to play catch up.
[signature]
The Sad part of the whole thing is the Berry received a large amount of water from the tribs. It should have been close to full right now. I hope we don't start robbing that reservoir each year like we do on the Weber drainage. This year is the first year since the tunnel was finished and we should have gained quite a bit. Not stay at the same level as last.
[signature]
Water is down about 3 to 4 foot . It started to drop just as the ice left the reservoir . I was surprised with all the water coming in . I guess the "cup" needed it more . It should start to come up now if we get any moisture before ice up .
[signature]
[cool]Hmm..., that's strange-I thought Nevada was the fastest growing state, followed by Arizona, and a couple others, then Utah. Have you been to Vegas lately? How about Reno? Phoenix?

I do agree though that they are building too fast in this state, probably without enough future planning too.
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]They build too fast everywhere. I think that they really don't plan for the future. They just think about right now, and how mcuh money they can make. Pretty soon we will not have any wilderness left.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Reno is growing at a ridiculous rate.... I was thinking about investing in real estate there...lol... Too bad I didn't think about it 5 years ago... I'd be a millionaire.
[signature]
Be careful what you wish for. The construction industry is driving the states economy. If K'ville, Layton and Farm wern't growing where would Hooked be? If the south valley wern't growing where would all our children live? If UT country wasn't growing would Geneva Steel be providing jobs?
Water is the limiting factor to growth in UT, no doubt. The thing is we have laeger famlies than most areas and our children want to stay here, that means more housing.
Maybe we should all kill our lawns and put in cactus and stones. Maybe we should stop sending the alf-alfa farmers water, after all it takes a lot of water to grow in a desert and for what really? A few cows?
There is no good answer to the water problems in the west. The problem will grow. As far as fishing water, it has never been a priorarty and never will.
[signature]
Troll: I don't understand the Geneva Steel reference (unless China is planning to return the pipe mill to Utah County and I just haven't heard about it). Otherwise, I sure agree with you about water concerns in high desert country. We need to propose a better way to plan for growth and development with the intent to grow an industry for quality fishing and hunting opportunities for out-of-staters. Might force our legislators to plan their commuities better. Out-of-Staters are going to keep coming anyway. We might as well benefit from it and protect our good public fishing and hunting lands in the process so that our grandkids can appreciate what we've got in this state. (my .02, for what it is worth). (Whew! I feel better now)
[signature]
FYI- Geneva Steel is out of business and currently exists only as a toxic polluted superfund cleanup site.

Once again China figured out how to do it cheaper. Gotta love capitolism....
[signature]
I know that this thread is getting off topic but I just wanted to add my .02

We definitely do not want to give up Ag for out of staters housing. I hope the comment was made tounge in cheek. Addressing the comment above, alfalfa provides Dairy products of all sorts, beef, leather of all kinds, feed for the horses I raise and for various other animals that we depend on (I know no one depends on my Paint Horses other than me).

I won't get into other Ag persuits.
[signature]
My Geneva comment points out that there are fewer jobs in UT county that are not construction related than there were several years ago. That is all, and refers to the stop building houses coments above.

Funny that you discern between out of staters and who else. This is the United States of America. I think a lot of our expansion is due to us having large famalies who want to stay in the area.

The farms in the southern 1/2 of utah recieve a huge amount of water for their haying operations, I doubt that they supply very much beef, leather or anything else that really matters to the public good of the rest of Utahs inhabitants. Most of our beef comes from the midwest, Hawaii and Argentina. Not from within UT. I do not know of any large dairy operations in Southern UT. Most seem to be in the northern part of the state. The part that gets some natural water.

Thing is that we will have to chose soon between the good of the many (Santiquin to Willard) or the good of the few (rual Ag intrests). I hope we all kill our lawns first but that will only move back when we have to make the decision. We are in a pickle no doubt. The only way out is smaller famalies, smaller lawns, conservation and reducing the water supplied for our small southern Ag industry.
[signature]
Just doing away with the park strip would save a lot of water. I bet 30 to 50 percent of a yards water consumption is lost on these park strips. You need to water twice as much to keep this area green. And when you water here 50 percent goes on the side walk or road. And how about those 4 by 4 green strips in parking lots. All that concrete heats up and causes these areas to dry out faster. Requiring frequent watering.
[signature]
I fertilize my strip with round up and no water needed . Been doing it for years too . I wonder if that stuff would be good for the whole lawn . LOL
[signature]
[reply]

Funny that you discern between out of staters and who else. This is the United States of America. I think a lot of our expansion is due to us having large famalies who want to stay in the area.

[/reply]

Large families? I see fewer couples having 10+ kids nowadays, but I do see that the majority of the out of staters in Utah tend to be from California, who sell their tiny crappy houses, and out of the home sales, they become rich, and they move up here and buy a huge house for less than half of what their former house costs.

I just sold my home to a young Californian couple from sacramento, they told me they sold a tiny two bedroom two bathroom house for $600,000! They bought my four bedroom 2 bathroom house for only $180,000.

Alot of people have remarked to me they like the idea of selling their California home and being rich off the deal and getting a bigger house. So the exodus from California remains strong, therefore more houses and construction are at a all-time high.

I can remember when I was a young boy in 1971, my parents drove up to Utah to drop off my sister at BYU for the winter semester, and it was night-time on I-15, I saw very few lights between st. george and Provo, and then a few lights between Provo to Salt Lake City. Now you see lights practically everywhere along I-15!
[signature]