Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleds
I've begun the process of looking into a used snowmobile. Since this will be my first experience owning one I thought it might be a good idea to ask if anyone has any tips,pointers or things to watch for when buying a snowmobile. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
Biggest tip I have is to remember your sled-less friends when you purchase one! It's at least twice as much fun to take another angler ice fishing.
[signature]
I'll second that Kent.
[signature]
Kent, I owe you more than one ride out on the ice[Wink].. By the way, the Nav light is working out very nicely.
[signature]
Not that I'm an expert, but a few things to look at and watch out for before you buy. Check the VIN number with the manufacturer. They can tell you if there has been any service recalls, and if the repairs were completed, or if the sled was used in a rental fleet. This is a free service, so it's easy to do. Second check to see if everything works! IE speedometer/odometer, hand warmers, lights ect. Inspect the sled thrououghly. Especially the undercarriage. You'll see big problems if the sled has been bounced across the rocks. Just because the top looks good, doesn't mean the sled hasn't been abused. I don't know how to do this, but looking at the hifax (where the track glides) might also be another good thing to look out for. Check the belt, and see if it has an extra belt over the cover. Belts are a little pricey, especially if you have to go buy a couple of them. If you have the abilily, check the compression in the cylinders. My final suggestion is see how well the thing starts up. Before doing this, check to see if the motor has been "pre-warmed". Put a hand on it before you see how it runs. If it is hot, then use caution. A sled will start much easier when it is warm. You don't want to be out on the ice pulling and pulling and pulling 'till your arm falls off. Good luck in your hunt, and have fun with the sled.
[signature]
Not sure why you owe me more than one ride out on the ice, but I won't turn down the opportunity if offered.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice Tkb. I'll make sure to look over the undercarriage especially.
[signature]
Two reasons, #1. a heck of a deal on the nav. light and #2 we used your vehicle and boat at Strawberry that day. [Wink]
[signature]