Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about scents and scented plastics etc ...
What is the best way to store the fishing scents and scented plastics ?

Do they have a shelf life ?

Do they go "bad" after a while ?

During the winter months can they be stored in an unheated area where it freezes ?

Does heat affect them during the summer months ?
[signature]
I do leave my plastics in the shed in the summer and haven't seen a problem with them. As far as winter I put my gear in the basement so they don't freeze. No sense tempting fate. And they still work great in the spring.
[signature]
To preserve my fake baits, even cheap ones, I try to keep them seeled up in plastic and in a dark place. I have never taken temperature into consideration.
[signature]
By the way, I have never kept any ver a winter, yet, my plan is to keep them in my kit bag, in my closet where it is about 72 to 80 degrees in the winter after heating. Over the summer they lived in my basement where it is 55. Maybe I should keep them down their for year long temperature uniformity?[Wink]
[signature]
I also keep my plastics and bottled attractants in sealed plastic bags - those one zip freezer bags. Mostly so they don't stink up the house. And they are in the dark because they are usually in a tackle box. But I don't have the room to keep them in the house year round, so I put them in an unheated place in the winter and in the summer, sometimes they are in an area that gets pretty hot. That's why I was wondering if the temperature would affect them or cause them to degrade more quickly.
[signature]
In NC and recently in FL, I have found the worms and lizards will melt together when left in an uncooled garage or shed... granted, the temps can get above 110F, but they will degrade from high temperatures.
[signature]
Hey thanx snook.hooker,

I also have had plastics melt together when left in the direct sun for a while on my boat(I live in the Utah desert where it gets pretty hot). Do you happen to know if the bottled attractants degrade over time in the heat(out of the sun) ?
[signature]
Sorry - can't help you with the bottled stuff - never use it myself... Doesn't it rinse off in the first few seconds in the water?
[signature]
I only use them occassionaly. Some kinds seem better than others for attracting or inspiring inactive fish to bite, but, they really do seem to get the fish to hold on a little bit longer than they might without it. Some are formulated to stay on longer and they actually do last for quite some time before needing to reapply them, but they do need to be reapplied.

In my experience some species seem to be affected more than others, but, that may have to do with other variables as well. Oh, by the way, I've only used them in fresh water, so I don't know how they work in salt or brackish water.
[signature]
[center][Tongue][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Maybe if the product goes bad that is a good thing. Probably would increase the nasty smell of it all. lol[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
Most scents, and even plastics will start to break down in the heat. The colors in your plastics will fade in the sun, and as the plastic heats up, the natural oils will start to leach out, and turn your plastic sticky and softer. It is best to keep your scent and plastics out of the heat and direct sun light. If you pull a plastic bait out of your tackle box and it is bent, just put it in the hot sun and it will heat up and straiten out from the exposure to the heat!
Good luck and good fishing!
James
[signature]
Hey maniac,

Thanx ! I just got your glow in the dark reapers(the kind of leach looking ones). They look great !

Question: Do you have any recommended rigging/presentation techniques for them ? Also, are they natually glowing or do I have to hold them in the light for a while to charge them up ?

I'm going to try to get out and use them this week and I'll let you know how I did with them.

Thanx again !
[signature]
[crazy] Does this kinda of stuff really work.....I've never tried 'em.
Or is it a scam
[signature]
Hey Snags Alot,

As far a maniac's plastics go, I have not used them yet, so, I don't have personal experience to draw from. However, I personally know of some folks(friends of mine) that have used them and had good success with them. Maniac is a local feller(he's from down here in Utah - but, I don't know him personally) and he was good enough to get a sample of his creations to me to try out.

I have used many other plastics in my time for many species in this area including catfish, black bass, brown bass, perch, walleye, wipers(striped bass/white bass hybrids), trout and all manner of panfish with great success. So, I know personally that plastics do work well.

So, No - it is not a scam.
[signature]
[Smile] Thanks Fishhound,
I know I hear people have sucess with'em....But I guess till ya try em yourself.......
[signature]
Hey Fishhound, sorry it took so long to get back with you.
I have been busy with orders, and finishing my new shop.
I would try the reapers on a jig head and or drop shot rig through the ice. They do need to be charged with a light, but they have a lot of glo to them. I have always done good using glow in the dark jigs through the ice for trout and other species. I would think these Reapers should be good for the bigger Trout and Walleye through the ice.
Good luck and good fishing!
James
[signature]
Hey maniac,

Thanx for the info !

Question. They have an oily texture - are they scented and infused with salt(if so, which or what kind) ? I'm not asking for trade secrets here just advanced notice as to whether I sould use a salt or attractant on them and if I should not dip the tip of head in a different color dye for contrast purposes(if you want you can answer by PMing me) - I also don't want to mess up the test drive of them - if I can help it. I plan on using them for walleye, trout or ??? through the ice or even before ice up if I get a chance to.

Should I sweeten them up with an attractant, or by tipping them with anything, or use them just as they are ?

Thanx again, I'll report back as soon as I get an opportunity to try them out - maybe this weekend or the middle of next week.
[signature]
They are packaged with worm oil! No scent, but they have salt mixed in with the plastic. Feel free to add scent and or dye the head, tail etc. any color you like.
Enjoy!
[signature]
[reply]

I also have had plastics melt together when left in the direct sun for a while on my boat? [/reply]

another thing that will cause your soft plastics and hard plastic crank baits to melt and fuse toghther is bug repellent. be sure to not handle your lures before washing your hands after applying rub on or wipe on repellents. this can even cause your crank baits to fuse right to the shelf in your tackle box...

I have never had a jar of attrantant go bad. I have had fluids dry out on my power baits but not to the point where they have dryed out....
[signature]