Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Rock Piles At Bear Lake
My uncle fished on the BASS tour for a few years before he died, and he knew a bunch of the Wyoming DWR guys... he lived in Green River, Wy. Every year right after Christmas he and the DWR guys would take trees out to the lake for Bass structure. They would pour a cement post for them and drop them into the lake. I know that he told me that the DWR did have to get some kind of permit to do it.... so I think you are right for sure about Wyoming and Utah at least.
[signature]
There are definitely some opportunities for the public to help out with projects with the DWR. The best way to find these out is either to call a regional office or ask for the dedicated hunter coordinator. Dedicated hunters (I won't go into the explanation here, but you can read about it at the UDWR website) have to put in so many hours of public help in order to meet thier obligations to the program. However, you don't have to be a dedicated hunter to volunteer. The regional offices typically keep a list of where they need volunteers. Not every job is "fun" (i.e. building fences to keep cows out, etc.) but they do help. Also, Cache Valley anglers does a lot of volunteer work with UDWR. We've had volunteers help us out on Bear Lake with our gillnetting and I'm looking for someone right now who would be willing to put up signs around the Swan Creek Wildlife Mgt. area, using a GPS to find the corner locations. Anyway, there are opportunities out there if you are interested.
[signature]
[size 1]"Well yuba got some trees but I'm talking rocks."[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Yuba also got some much-needed rock structure when the water was low when they were repairing dam. It was very visible from the main boat ramp last fall when TD and I were fishing down there.[/size]
[signature]
BLFG,

You mentioned the dedicated hunter program. Has there ever been thought about a dedicated fisherman program. I am sure there many projects that directly relate to fishing that the DWR could use some help with.

Also, the Bear Lake Rock Pikes were a great idea, but to me seemed like one mans dream that took a bunch of time to get accomplished. Is there a citizens advisory board or program that allows individuals to give input on the direction and management of our favorite bodies of water?
[signature]
[size 1]Is there a citizens advisory board or program that allows individuals to give input on the direction and management of our favorite bodies of water? [/size]

Yes, there is. Each of the 5 regions in Utah (UDWR regions) has a RAC (Regional Advisory Council) composed of representatives from various interests, walks of life, etc. They meet once a month in their respective regions. The sportsmen can find more info. on the regions at the UDWR website. The public can have their say at these meetings and doing so at the RAC meeting is where to have your voice heard. Anyway, as of now there is no dedicated fishermen program since fishing is quite different than hunting. The dedicated hunter program allows you to hunt all three season for deer (archery, muzzleloader, and firearm) whereas if you are not in the program you have to "choose your weapon" and hunt only one hunt. There are other stipulations to the dedicated hunter program, but I won't go into those here. Anyway, I suggest you log onto the UDWR website ([url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov"]www.wildlife.utah.gov[/url]) and do some reading so you can get your questions answered there, since I don't have all the answers. Let's end this thread and go fishing!
[signature]