Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PIERS IN SOUTH BAY AND OC.
[mad]
Pretty new to the game of fishing, but does anyone out there know a couple simple pointers on catching Halibut, Bonito, bottom feeders like sand sharks, bat rays etc. I usually go off of Seal Beach pier, Newport pier, Redondo beach and Balboa and on ocassions the new bridge right by Khoury's in Seal Beach. Help!
[signature]
Hi and welcome to the BFT message boards.

I have fished just about every pier on the west coast including the ones that you have mentioned.

For the Seal Beach and Newport piers you will want to fish a sliding rig with live bait if possible. Plastics on a lead head and Krocodiles are also a good producer for the Halibut. You have to fan fish those kind of like bass fishing. Cast them in 15 degree increments and slow retrieve until you get bit.

Redondo is a good producer of Bonito during certain times of the year. Krocs and other irons are the best on the surface. Blue and white or blue and chrome are the killer colors.

Bat Rays and Sand Sharks are best on the bottom. I generally use a reverse dropper loop setup with the weight on the top loop. A 3/0 hook and 30lb test or larger when the conditions permit. Pin on a nice whole squid to the hook, cast it out and weight for the fight.

I have pulled up 60 to 130lb Bat Rays from Redondo. They are lots of fun to fight and require a sturdy pier gaff to get them up.

Feel free to stop on by the Cali board and say hi as well.

Good luck and please let us know how you do.[cool]
[signature]