Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Been up near Salmon?
I just wondered if any BFT'rs have been up in the salmon region for steelhead yet. The little info i've found has been slow but some fish being caught. If it starts to pick up i'd like to take a trip up and give it hell. My Dad is just coming home from Iraq and I think that might be a good welcome home to go up and get into the steelies.
[signature]
I've been looking for good info on the Steelhead run as well. I plan on heading up around Stanley - Salmon next weekend. All I've been able to find is the weekly fish caught count. With all the variables such as accessibility and local talent I don't know if following these numbers is a big help.
[signature]
well good luck, let me know how you do. last year we used the fish caught info and it led us up to the pahsimeri (did i spell that right?). we fished just below where the pahsimeri flows into the salmon. It was damn near combat fishing there, elbow to elbow, if you wanted a seat you had to bring your own rock. But the fish were there.
Have a good one!
[signature]
It's been a few years, since I have made it up there, but I used to make several runs up there each spring and fall. Some of the best fishing I remember has been down in the canyon right around thanksgiving time. There is a really good hole right below the pack bridge (and I mean right below after you cross it) that has provided pretty consistent success without having to fight the crowds. Another big bonus is if you can get access to some kind of a boat. Just crossing the river to the opposite sides of the crowds takes the combat away while still fishing the hot areas. Owl creek, Ebeneezer Bar, and the dutch oven hole are also some fall favorites. Another hole that often gets overlooked is just below the confluence with the Le(i?)mhi River. There is a sportsmans access there just below salmon with a nice parking lot and if you hike downriver from there just a little there are some great holes. I can't wait to get my Master's Degree finished so I have some freedom to get up there again.

Post up if you make a trip, I'd love to hear about it.
[signature]
Went to salmon on monday. I left home around 4 a.m. Everything went good until just out of leadore, then it started to snow. I had to pull over at one point because I couldn't see the road. Anyway, Started fishing around 8 a.m. in town and worked my way down. It wasn't the best day for fishing. It would snow for a little while, then the wind would start to blow. I managed to catch one sucker. That is about par for me up there. I don't seem to ever have much success. I talked to a few people that had been there for a few days. They told me that the weekend was pretty good fishing, but it was pretty slow on this day. I always seem to be a day late going up there no matter what I do. The river was clear and was running a little higher than the last few years at this time. All in all it was a good trip. The highlight of the trip for me was watching the mule deer. They are rutting this time of year and up there if you watch you can spot some pretty good bucks. Maybe I'll catch a few next time I go. If anyone else goes up there, good luck and when you get back, give us a report.
[signature]