Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This years little Ice Fishing project (to this point).
Here it be [inline "Rods extended.jpg"]

The above photo shows the seat folded down to create a sleeping area. Well padded, 2" of foam. Note that a persons feet will not be on the ice while fishing unless they so choose. There is 3/4" between the ice and the bottom of the tip out floor while a person sets on the seat. Note that the lid opens to form the upper back of the shelter so wind should not effect this unit at all when its butt is in the wind.

[inline "over night floor in place.jpg"]

The above photo shows the foldable over night floor in place with two hatchways for fishing as well as the seat. All poles fold back against themselves except the support poles. They merely snap into place. This unit sets up to be 6' wide, 6' tall, 8' long. Its not light at over 100lbs but its meant to withstand the Windy conditions I often fish in. And as I said, the old Red Mule does most of the pulling anyway.

[inline "ready for travel.jpg"]

Above photo shows the unit closed up and ready to travel.. 6' long, 29" wide, 25" tall (including its ski's), and yet, its still awaiting its fabric! ARGGGG! [unsure]
[signature]
WOW ! Holey Moley ! Look at that palace ! It's got a dance floor ! You done good there Coldfooter !

Is it plywood construction ? and, will it be black ? Did you make the skis as well or did you just use regular snow skis for that ? Post up a photo when you get the fabric on it. I can't wait to see this mansion in person when you get it on the ice.

It's a good thing you've got a snow machine - a person probably couldn't pull that thing.
[signature]
[cool] That's a sweet Hut.....I can almost feel the fish bitin now.

Of course you have a sweet heater for that..Right?
[signature]
That's one cool lookin ice box....

do you have metal runners from a kids sled or wood runners?

do you plan on putting a round nose that arches from top to bottom to keep from cutting in to now drifts when you pull it?

how do you get your covers done?

one last question and that is will this fall under the $300.oo a two man clam is priced?
[signature]
FH : We used 3/8 cdx ply and 2x2 pine construction (for the most part) so its fairly light weight compared to the old Coldfooter’s Hilton (witch weighed in at well over 250lbs) but will be very strong. The fabric outer shell will be flat black. As far as pulling it, my brother and I have pulled the CF-Hilton by hand a time or 3 and found it tugged along rather easily while setting on 4 snow ski's (found at any local second hand store for 10 bucks a pair) so this one should do better still. No Snow machine here yet, just and old Red 3 Wheeler I call "the Mule" that I chain up and have used for ice fishing for 20 years. Dance floor? LOL!!! Well I suppose a person could do the Hard Top 2 step on it, lol. As shown in the photo the (fold-able floor) is optional and will only be de-trailered when over nighters are in the works. Note that the entire area below the seat/bed is open storage space.

Snags: You know it![Wink]

Dave: As I pointed out above its supported on common snow ski's. Theres 3" of clearance between the ski's and the bottom of the unit. I found by building these type of devices in the past that snow ski's spread the weight out nicely and with 3” of clearance I dont have to worry about the "plowing" effect. Whats more, due to the angle it attach it to the Mule for pulling theres a constant, yet slight, upwards pull on the front of the unit which keeps the nose on the rise. As far as price? Well this unit should be able to fish 4 persons without to much trouble if the "dance floor" isnt in place and this unit will fit my needs far better than anything I've seen on the market. It should come in at about $220.00 plus or minus 10 bucks. I will also add I had a few minor item laying around that probably saved us 20 bucks and its been a fun project.. As far as who will do the shell? We’re doing it,, the farbic arrived Friday so we started that build over the weekend.. BTW, the Fabric will be nearly half the cost..

I'll post pic's once the entire unit is completed
[signature]
that great, you save close to 300 fish backs on a 4 man portable shanty. they run about 550, I was just looking at them last week.

I hear that on the fabric, last project I used fabric on cost me 300 fish backs for the fabric alone. (santa suit) another 100 fish backs for the steel toed boots.... LOL (santa's have to protect them selves from satified costumers from the previous year)[sly]

I was wondering if you are using a vinal product?

there aint nothin like having a built to suit costum unit.
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Where do I sign up for that exact rig and how much???????[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
LOL, yeah that custom fitting stuff is a pain in the rear end, (so ta speak),lol.. Nope, didnt go the vinal this time, we choose to go black canvas instead and will water proof it completely. We're considering the standard spray on tent products but we're open to suggestions if anyone has a better idea..
[signature]
Wow we've never considered making another one for anybody. To be honest theres tons of time involved, of course thats usually the case with any proto-type. I might work out a set of plans for those interest in building their own unit like this one tho.. The toughest pair of building this unit is having someone that can run a sewing machine! Man that aint for me!!
[signature]
Sweeeeeet!
[signature]
I would not hesitate with Scotch Gard or Camp Dry. I have used both.

but if you have an old peice of canvas you have been using as a pinters tarp and dont mind experimenting,

I have wanted to try this my self but never had the opertunity, Turle wax makes a weather proof wax that the water beads up on the car. I have wanted to try rubbing that in to a peice of canvas to see what happens.

to test I would drape a peice after treated on a tire or somthing similar (large bowl, rubber donut, ect....) and fill it with water let it set for a few hours even a day and see if the fabric absorbed the wax enuff to close all the pores....
[signature]

LOL, hate it when I click post before I actually write somethun.

How's all those hot chicks doing? They keeping you busy[Wink]

Anyway, good suggestion Dave. Our biggest concern is mainly the lower 4-6" of the shell and the surrounding skirt. I'd like the shell as water proof as possible in that area due to day thaw and re-freeze conditions and have considered the use of black or clear silicone to permeate those areas. We're also considering being able to entirely remove the skirt by merely having it velcro'ed in place, and/or, being able to lift and attach the skirt to the side walls of the shell using velcro when its not needed. Theres lots of options I suppose.. At any rate, the shell is now about 70% complete.
[signature]
Btw.. Thanks everyone for your comments..
[signature]
Awesome idea! I wonder how much, and how strong, plexiglass or something like that would be. I'm thinking about making it weigh less.

Awesome idea!
[signature]
1/2"x4'x8' foot sheet of plexiglas runs in the neighborhood of $300-$400 you will have tu nut and bolt every thing, add metal rap around trim around all the edges and the weight is pretty close to the same.

any thing less than 1/2 inch you can bet that it will split crack and bust if you try to walk on it, and holy moly if you try to walk in it with cleets.

if you want to go plastic or vinal you will get a better product vinal being the best and lightest and most durible and wont deteriate in sunlight.
[signature]
If you use plexiglass, you will have to up grade to lexan if you want to drill through it. Plexi will crack when drilled through and useing nuts and bolts to fastened. My two cents as a glazer.
[signature]
you are right, I couldnt think of the name of the material, but if you asked for 1/4 to 1/2 inch plexiglass they would know what you wanted....

here is my last project using lexan
[left][Image: 2cf60407-efb9-44fc-a6bc-68af7134b535.jpg][/left] [center] [/center] [center]It is a travel bug on its way around the country going fishing with lots of anglers. it started off in michigan and is now in florida.[/center] [center] [/center] [center]It has been through a few huricanes already. "this year alone"[/center] [center] [/center] [center]any way it is great material to work once you get used to keeping the material from loading up on your tooling..[/center]
[signature]
sweet new footer dude can't wait to try it out..

not to much longer before your going to need it dude!!

not all day's can be like last sunday.. right? lol
[signature]
Thanks Ron,, I'm sure we'll put it to good use very shortly..

Right! Sunday was a sweet day for hardtop short steppin'! [cool]
[signature]
Did you manage to get in any time on your shelter in between ball games and turkey sandwiches?

My neighbor gave me his old two man shanty this year. has a few mouse holes, needs a new tow rope and and the tie down straps are gone. noting a little duck tape, a peice of old ancor rope and a couple bungee cords wont fix. I just have to remember to throw it all in the bucket when I go out.

It is a nice set up, a lot nicer than my minute man wich had a chip press wood fold in half bottom and kept diging in to the snow every time I tryed to drag it out. I never go my 150 fish backs out of that unit, I was impressed with it when I bought it, but the weight, the pain of trying to get the holes opened up and worse was trying to close the hole after all the snow and ice and water splashing and freezing around the hole opening while fishing.

I dont use heat in my shelters, well its south east michigan and it seldom gets that cold here for long periods of time, we are lucky to see ice before christmas. wind is my only beef.. It keeps blowing snow in my hole...LOL

its not as nice as the [url "http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000009628053"][Image: i119050sm02.jpg][/url] available on line from cabela's just type in "ice shelter" in the search bar.
[url "http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000009628053"]Hi-Tech Tackle Two-Man Polar Escape Shelter[/url]
$329.99... from our sponcer

sorry for the comercial plug in, I just like the set up of the unit.

I like those fold down types too, the ones where it umbrella folds from back to front and you dont have to line up holes in the shelter with holes in the ice because it has an open area along the whole front side what I like about it best is that the whole front can stay open on them worm rainy days when you need air but want to stay dry.

I forgot to ask, are you using a hand lazer or a power auger. I saw just the end of your auger in that photo of your last trip but could not make out the top. and dose it ride on top of your new sled?

the more I look at your sled the more I think the design is marketable.

I take it one of the two of you are electritions by trade and the other a carpenter? I am going by the quality and uniformity of your bends and conections, my second guess would be a cabnet maker? frame assembly and hindge work is showing off tallent and skills from some where...[cool]
[signature]