Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michigan firearm deer opening day results
A few to tell from my area;

Myself , a 3 point buck stood at the base of my treestand at daybreak but lack of boneage left me with the decision of taking a chance at letting him walk on and waiting for something that you wouldn't have to pin the ears back to see the rack . Anything under 3" is concidered antlerless and this buck wasn't pushing his luck on becoming a wall mount .
After about 1 o'clock without another deer to be seen I pulled down the treestand and carried it to the road , too windy to sit up there . As I began to package it up for the one mile hike out of the woods I looked up to see two does standing 5 feet from me just watching my doin my task . After I loaded up the stand I noticed I left my headlamp at the stand site ,ha , another reason to continue hunting ! I walked the mile back in and retrived my lamp , then I moved down a hundred yards and sat in the rain till almost dusk . When I stood up I had 7 does not less than 3 feet behind me .
I never heard a thing because of the rain , sneeky deer !

The two hunters I did a free guide service for were setting on scrape lines in prime hunting area , they never saw a thing . the scrapes were being hit during the twilight hours .

My cousin brandished the only deer taken from the area that day , a spike with wide tines almost an 1 1/2" thick . seemes the buck rubbed his rack almost off .

Lonewolf outdid all of us expearanced hunters this year .
By 7:40 A.m. lonewolf was back at home with a mountable 8 point buck hanging on the buck pole . His mom reported the rack was so wide that the head was completley off the ground when it was laying on it's side .
I'm begining to think that I should take lessons from him .

The good news is that all of our hunters came back safley . as of today there have been 19 shootings reported . 6 have been fatalitys , 7 self inflicted . That meens 12 shots were either strays or someone not looking at what there shooting at .

Never take a shot untill you identify your intended target , buck fever is not an excuse that a family will understand or forgive when their loved one is being put to rest .

Leave the bottle at home , hunting under the influence is illeagle and stupid .

Keep your action cleared and the saftey on untill you are in position to hunt , a chambered firearm that has been acidently dropped has ended many a life.

Take all steps to insure your firearm is unloaded at the end of the hunt , many people have missed this step and have had devistating results .

Treat every firearm as if it were loaded , even if you know beyond reason that there is not a shell in it . I'ts not stupid , just safe .

Anyone else have a opening day report ?
[signature]
ya the rain came down in buckets of bolts, lightning that is.

todays winds brought trees a crashing, I stayed inside both days.... I will get a little better weather in a day or so.... and a few days with out hunter presure and peta presure too.

but every 5 minutes local detroit news on every radio and tv had something positive to say about deer hunting. only 750 thousand licenses were sold, I having 4 of them my self. sales is way down, at that they reported that the 750 thousand hunters spent close to 500 mill this season in the state of michigan alone..... Talk about your boon towns. I guess that is good for the economy Right?
[signature]
I went out opening morning. I went out at 5 to 7am and about 5mins out there I seen 2 deer. I shot an 8pt. at 200 Yds. We were in by 7:15. I'm going to do a anter mount.I'll put photos up soon... HOPEFULY
[signature]
Are you go out tonight lonehunter ??
[signature]
Congradulations.

200 yards is some mighty fine shootin...

I will look forward to seeing your trophy...
[signature]
I can't wait to see them !
I haven't seen a buck yet that had any antlers bigger than their ears .
[signature]