Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubing Bigger Waters
So far I have only had my tube on waters where there are no big boats or Jet Skis to contend with. Do those of you who are used to fishing bigger waters have any suggestions for a first timer on trafficked waters? Do any of you mount orange flags or anything to make yourself more conspicuous to boaters. Have any of you had any "close encounters"? I am thinking of expanding my horizons by taking my tube along on one of my fishing/camping trips with my kayak.
[signature]
Hey smallmouth89,

Fishing on waters with traffic can be an exciting proposition. Close encounters are common - boaters, waterskiers and the rest of the power crowd don't see small little fishcraft very easily, and they can get rather close. So, what ever you can do to create more visiblity is definately a good thing. Bright blaze orange PFDs or anything that stands out on the water would be recommended - if you could surround yourself with a dozen or so beautiful bikini clad supermodels that would probably do the trick too - just to insure you would be seen that is.

I personally have gotten into the habit of fishing in more shallow waters or right against the rocks where the power people stay at least a few more feet away. When I venture forth into the deeper water, I basically take my chances and hope for the best. If you have a surface to surface missle system you can mount on your craft, that might be an option as well.

Good luck out there and try to be seen !
[signature]
Being seen is the most important thing in the big waters. After you have established yourself a nice watertop ID then it will be easier for the boaters, skiers and PWCs to see you.

On the short side of the stick, you will also become a point of reference for the next PWC race or simply a speed bump for the next boat that comes by.

I do agree with the circle of babes around and a small supply of RPGs wouldn't be a bad idea either.[cool]
[signature]
Hi Fellow Tubers,

I would agree whole heartedly with doing what you have to do to be seen. Bright Orange anything is always a good choice. I, too, have had a close encounter or two over the many years of float tubing. I would also like to second FishHound's comments about fishing relatively close to shore where boaters have to naturally back off a bit. In my experience, that is where most of the fish are anyway the Most of the time!

[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]One of the things I point out in my book is that even the biggest lake can be broken down into several (or many) smaller lakes. If you can find reasonable access to the area you want to fish, there is no need to launch farther away and put yourself at risk by cruising through "shipping channels". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is usually true that the best fishing in most lakes is within reasonable distance from shore...unless you are deep trolling for species that do not stay close to shore. So, if you do it right, you shouldn't have to spend too much time out in open water, where bigger bullies can find you and run over you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you do have to make a "crossing", try to be patient and wise. Watch the boat traffic and wait for a lull before scooting across the busy open water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That will not eliminate the problem. Water skiers, PWC operators and other "power squadron" fanatics will often go out of their way to harass small boats, tubes and toons. It ain't right, but then again, some of them ain't quite right either. Unless you are heavily armed, there is not much you can do about it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As has been suggested, do what you can to help other watercraft see you...hopefully to avoid you and not to target you. Some tubes and toons come with safety orange in the color mix. If not, it's easy to add a flag with some color on it. Just be careful you do not exceed the state statutes. Above a certain size, the blaze orange flag signifies emergency, rather than warning, and you could attract more attention than you want. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The next step is to keep a pressurized can airhorn with you, to wake up those dimbulbs who are not looking where they are going. Do everything you can to prevent problems and you will have fewer of them. You can't always look out for the other guy, but you can take measures to protect yourself.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I haven't tried the big waters yet. I just kinda don't trust those high speed boaters not even with my canoe. I would pretty much stay away from those open lakes. Orange flag, good point. I'm thinking about adding orange covering to cover my deer stand that I have to carry on my back in and out of the woods. Those high power guns would just scan the area and shoot at anything that moves, scary. They have those kind of flags for the divers but I forgot what color or markings they have....it should work with tubers. MMMM tuber's flag?
[signature]