Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
float tubing in longbeach
[Smile] I just got my first float tube and I am icthing to use it. Are thier any bites active in long beach area that might be good for a first timer?
[signature]

Hey there OnewhoFishes,

You need to check out websites that have boards that are specifically for float tubers. I hope I'm not in trouble for suggesting allcoaster's float tuber time board, baytubers website, all sportfishing's tube board, and calfishing's tube board. There's others but this should be enough for a taste.

By the way, Big Fish Tackle boards are all frequented by tubers or people who fish like tubers, kayakers and surf anglers so it's a good idea check this site carefully and often. Google.com is my favorite search engine.

Regards from a fellow tuber

JapanRon
a.k.a. tsurikichi
[signature]
you may want to ask Tube Dude on the arizona board or slide on down to the utah board, there are a bunch of tubers there.

they should be able to give ya a hand on the setting up. tubedude just posted his pic here on the california board on the post your pic here.

he has his rig decked out prity good.

my row boat aint set up as good as his tube [blush]
[signature]
Hey thanks for the tips. I ended going out today on my own. Had alot of fun allthough i did not expect to sit so low in the water lol ended up taking about three gallons into my waders. Ended up landing three short halibut and six sand bass all over twelve inches. Let them swim to see another day though.
[signature]
good thin you went today, I saw some clowd working their way in from off the coast, looks like oregon and norther california is in for another round of wet stuff.

I never thought about it much but a canoe is low, that thing must be alot lower. makes me wonder about those small white caps and if they could cause you to flip in that thing.

how was the action from the fish did they pull you around the water?
[signature]

Hey there Onewhofishes,

Back again! I've got a WoodStream Stealthrider pointy bowed u-boat. It's OK. But... when you see how high the guys in the Kennenbeck and other pontoon-like u-boats, with their big fat bladders, ride and the fact that they can answer a certain call more easily, a feeling of envy comes over you.

Make sure your tube will carry more weight than you think you will ever carry. Why?! You'll aquire the following if you're like me.

2 rod holders
1 anchor/chain/rope
1 live bait tank (mounted or towed)
1 catch bag (expanding)
1 long handled net
1 gaff
1 nav light pole
1 flag pole with 12inch square red flag
1 PFD life vest
1 head lamp
1 fishfinder and mounting bracket
1 talkabout for communications
1 rod rack
1 set of flippers
1 pair of chest waders
1 whistle or air horn
Sun screen
Sunglasses or extra pair of glasses
1 Bottle of water and snacks
1 emergency inflator system for the tube

Oh Ya almost forgot!

rods and reels w/ safety lines
tackle boxes

And..... stuff I haven't even thought of yet!!!

Good Luck and hope to see ya on the water

JapanRon
a.k.a. tsurikichi
[signature]
[cool] Hey J.R., I kick around in a Kennebec. I've field tested just about everything that has come on the market over the last few years for my upcoming book. I like the floatation on the Kennbec, and the higher seating. I'm 6'3" and over 250#, so I DO need flotation.

The two major negatives I have encountered in the Kennebec is the lousy valves on the air bladders and having too many small pockets rather than one big pocket on each side. Those valves get worn after a few uses and tend to leak or pop loose. I've had to carry a piece of half inch plastic tube with me to air up when I'm a ways offshore. Danged inconvenient, but better than having to walk back to shore if it goes flat all together.

The other gripe is that I like to take a few large lure boxes out with me, and the Kennebec has about 4 dinky pockets on each side, rather than one big one. I think that because it was made by Trout Unlimited it is probably designed more for folks that wave a "fairy wand" than those who fish warm water or salt water.

My next acquisition is going to be an Outcast Super Fat Cat. Have looked them over pretty close and they look like a good bet. Plenty of flotation, PVC coating on the bottom of the air chambers, high seating, sturdy 1" air valves, dry storage behind the seat, pointed "bow" for moving through chop, etc. Oh yeah, that's another thing about the Kennebec I have some issues with. It's a bear to maintein position with in a stiff breeze. At least in a round tube you can hold position in the wind and cast downwind.

Anybody out there got any input of the Outcast craft? I've already decided to get one, but would like any support...or otherwise...that anyone can offer.

And, Eric my lad, if you really want to get silly, put your tube in one of the back bays and fish for sharks and rays. Can also do some damage on spotfin and yellowfin croaker in the bays, with an occasional big corvina. Ghost shrimp works best when you can get em.

And, I don't know what the access is these days, but I used to put my tube in at the end of the Breakwater, at Carrillo Beach, and kick out along the rocks. got some great calicos and had a ball with opaleye and perch there on occasion. In season, there are some good halibut laying just off the rocks too.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0216155.jpg]
[signature]
[Smile]

Hi there TubeDude,

Thanks for the advice. I've heard two negitives about the tube you presently have 1) bad valve design- a guy on a tuber board has rigged a piece of very professionally engineered plumbing (brass component too) that eliminates that problem and does what you can do. 2) Seams- some of the coverings seem to pop easily although buddys do get replacements pretty easy.

I like the idea of pvc skid guards on the fish side of the boat! Through the magic of Velcro, I do my own pocket placement/configuration.

Heard of you before, glad to correspond, good post, Thanks

JapanRon
a.k.a. tsurikichi
[signature]
Thanks for the lists and pictures of your tubes guys gives my wife an idea of what she has gotten me into, telling me to go and pick one out for bday/christmas. any particular company life vest recomended that is not to bulky yet highly bouant?
[signature]

Hey again, Onewhofishs,

I have the inflatable suspender type PFD which is very comfortable, compact, and cool in the Summer!. It's a Coast Guard type III approved/rated device. It has 38 pounds of buoyancy which is quite a bit although the Coast Guard has it's own ideas. They say: Type I is the best where Type III is for usually calm water or where you would expect to be rescued quickly.

SOSPENDERS is the product name, model is in the 38 series. Check this site to see if they sell it here, if not, the guys in Fullerton do. They have a website at ... use Google.com and it's easy to find.

Feel free to ask more questions, I'm just paying back all the folks that have helped me!

JapanRon
[signature]