Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shotguns???
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Just sitting here at work and being bored out of my mind, so I thought I'd throw this out there. What kind of shotgun do you use to do your hunting with? As for myself I have a remington 870 that I used for everything. Key word is used because I also have a benelli nova that I now use for everything. I use the nova primarily, but the old 870 gets to go out every once in a while.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Talk about being in the same boat! I cut my teeth with an 870 Wingmaster. It was the only gun I ever used. Pounded a lot of birds with it too. Then a couple years ago I picked up a Benelli Nova. It's been a great gun, and I have no complaints. Now it is my goto gun. I prefer the pumps for reliability and affordability. There are a lot of good autoloaders out there though.
[signature]
I use a Winchester Black Hawk. I, too, like pumps for reliability and affordability but also because I have hunted with one my whole life and it is hard to change old habbits. I use the Winchester for everything but with a proviso. I have two barrels that I interchange, a 28 inch one for Pheasants and ducks and a 22 inch one for grouse. I have been using the long barrel for doves but I am vasilating on trying the shorter one.
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]I use a 28" barrel for everything. It seems to work great, especially for them little bullet doves.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I have been using the longer barrel for doves mostly brcause I usually jump shoot them and frequently I have longish shots and doves are a small target. The advantage of the longer barred is that it has a longer (sight plane) so there is less pointing margin of error and the extended mass of the longer barrel tends to heep the gun moving in more of a straight line helping with follow through. I am considering the shorter barrel because it is quicker to handle and make last second adjustments in pointing at the very erratically flwing doves. Actually, I think doves are hard to hit no matter what.
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Ditto on doves being hard to hit. I've had plenty of doves survive, even though I thought it would be easy pickings. [/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I also use a remington 870 full choke for everything. I bought it in 1980 it still looks great and shoots great. later chuck
[signature]
I just sold all my old shotguns except for my Ithaca 37 pump that has a 24" barrel with removable chokes & a 28" modified barrel. I keep this for my back-up gun. With the proceeds of the old gun sale, I bought a Stoger (By Benelli) Condor O/U combination set. One barrel set is a 28" 12 ga. and the other is a 26" 20 ga., both with removable chokes and 3" chambers. The 20 ga. weighs in at just under 7 lbs and the 12 ga. just over 7 lbs.

I use the 20 ga. for grouse and other smaller game and the 12 ga. for pheasant and maybe waterfowl someday. I got it new for $400 at Dick's last summer on a sale. It was a fantastic buy and it shoots great. It is not real fancy but good looking, nice checkering and a tight action with no slop. I have taken several grouse this year and 6 for 6 on pheasants. You can't argue with success.Mr. J.
[signature]
Depends on what I'm hunting. For Ducks and Geese I use a Mossberg 835, why? Because I ruined an 870 Ducks Unlimited 2 years ago hunting on the lake. If I srcew up the Mossberg, I go get another one. Killing that old 870 broke my heart. The old girl just couldn't take the salt like she used to. It's since been reblued but is now a muesam piece. For Chuckar I use a Win 101 in 12ga. For Dove a 20ga. S/S, for Pheasants over The OZ Man I use a 28ga. Beratta 686.

IFG
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Ok, now since I am at work again I will throw this out..... Any good over/unders for under 500 bucks? I am thinking about getting one because I like the way they look.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
The Stoger is the only worthwhile O/U for that price. Forget about the Tigers, ULUS and other weird imports. While I'm not a Stoger fan, I find them heavy in the forearm and uncomfortable to swing because they have almost no drop at the comb, they are are a good field gun and many of my hunting buddies use them. My advice, save your money and buy a Berrata, best gun for the cash. Ruger Red labels are fine shotguns also and cost a little less.

IFG
870 express on days where it might get nasty and my new franchi I-12 semi auto built the same as the benelli for half the cost awsome gun/
[signature]
Ithaca model 37 pump that I have had for 34 years. A faithful comapanion. 28" improved cylinder. Mostly just used for doves these days. Love those pumps for simplicity and reliablity
[signature]