Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saw those tubers...
Flew to California last weekend for four days. One of the day was to release my sister's ashes in the mountain's waterfall. While hiking in around the season's lowered lake to the back side of it, I spot those tubers at the far end of the lake! My nephew says they do that at this time of the year when the lake is low. Lots of trout there. While another long walk back to the cars, we were higher on the other side and looking down, I see the trout jumping all over the lake. Watched one of the tuber flyfishing. Took some photo (my sister did). I notice the lake being way low and I asked why is it that low at this time of the year, he says when the spring comes the snow melts off the mountains and would fill up the lake way lot as much as thirty feet because they built a dam there in 1915. Very pretty area, mountains, giant pine trees, lots of rocks and beautiful setting for my sister and those tubers.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Our condolences for the loss of your sister. It sounds like her final resting place is a place of beauty. Glad you were able to find something else in the trip to help ease your mind and help you to think of something besides the somber reason for your being there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What lake was it? There are lots of good tubing lakes in California, and a lot of experienced and dedicated tubers. I am sure that the scenery was a bit different than in your part of the country.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thank you. The area we were at is Pinecrest Lake. The scenery there is way different from where I live. When we got there, we all was surprised at the looks. So much aw's oh's. We were amazed about those sugar pine cones! They were BIG reaching a foot or more and six inches in diameter! Biggest we have seen were only three to four inches cones all our life but awestruck about those! I picked up three little rocks where we left our sister so I could remember. If we ever got a change I would like to tube in that lake. When we were on the highest side and looking down, the tuber was in the middle of the lake. Looks like it didn't matter where to fish, there were fish jumping everywhere and that area was rocky with a lot of stumps.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Even if you never get back there, you still have your memories. If life and good fortune allow it, I am sure that being able to fish the lake will be very special, even if the fish do not cooperate.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are a lot of trout lakes on which the surface feeding activity can be all over the lake. This is especially true when breezes blow insects out over the lake and they fall anywhere and everywhere. In a shallow lake, there might actually be insect hatches coming off, even in midlake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are not a fly fisherman, you can often do well by dragging a fly behind a clear plastic bubble, with your spinning rod. And, if the fish are not being too selective, and are not feeding exclusively on one size and type of insect, they will also hit spinners and spoons on occasion.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Keep those rocks. They will become more valuable to you over the years. You will always be glad you had the presence of mind to save something from that moment.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'm testing to see if the photo does work. It didn't come out as a great picture or maybe sister did something so it fits the email. If you can see the photo u can see a dot in the middle of the lake, that's the tuber flyfishing...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I can see the float tube, but I can't quite make out what pattern of fly he is using.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can tell that the lake is way down.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good photo post, Bluegillman. Keep working on your photography skills, learning the various things you camera will do and learning how to post 'em. Its a lot of fun.

Sorry for your loss.

zonker
[signature]