Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawbery 11-22 Report
Hi All- Managed to break away again this morning for a little Berry action. Myself and two others hit it at about 7:30 and fished until around 1. Fishing rocked, as we boated 75+ fish, most on white tube jigs, though the first 20 or so came on pointer minnows before 9 am. Water temp is still up at 41.8 on the main lake, and the bays just slightly cooler. I saw virtually no ice, even early before the sun came up. Mud Creek and the bay by the marina had a skim in the very end, but was gone when we left as the air temp was around 45. Fishing for the weekend looks very promising for those of you considering dusting off the already-winterized boat. When jigging, we found the magic number to be 16 feet deep, in to about 12 feet. Pointers worked over and around the weeds, and the weeds are really subsiding, making fishing them easier. I will be at Fish Lake chasing Mac on Friday, so have fun at the Berry, I'll be envious.

I attached a couple pics, we caught 10 or so over the slot, the bigger of the two pictured here is 25 inches, the smaller 23.5. Hopefully my posts aren't getting annoying, I'm not trying to rub it in or brag, merely stoked about how good it has become, to encourage all to hit the Berry while the fishing is great, and hopefully help everyone catch more big fish with the admittedly little knowledge I've gained.
[signature]
Posts are not annoying -- we are just jealous. The area you fished is very familiar terrain, had some great days there with my grandkids.
[signature]
Way to go, pp! Hope your skill (luck) continues at Fish Lake. Don't be afraid to try some white tube jigs with minnow pieces for some splake down there. Let us know how you did and DON'T HOLD BACK!!![Wink]
[signature]
I'll be the cutts fear your hull! Thanks again for the update, and good luck with the macs. I look forward to your report.
[signature]
Very nice pics. Thanks for sharing and you must brag because Strawberry is flat out amazing.

I too fished the berry today. However, I fished with a kick boat at East Portal and I thought for a minute I was in New York City. Imagine on a Tuesday, November 22nd, 15 kick boats within 200 yards. Yep, that's right, there were 15 float tubes and kick boats in the area this afternoon. I would have been mad that I had to keep looking behind me to avoid running others over, except the fishing was sooo fun. Yes, Mr. Prusuit, the fish were biting in the other side of the lake too and we caught a few over the slot, on 23 and one 25. Where in this country can you go and catch fish like that so often? Amazing!!!! Anyway, I have to find a more open place to launch next time. Too crowded. All I can say is that today was a bonus day. It was so nice some guys had just a shirt on. It was gorgeous weather.

We caught fish on tube jigs, flies and grubs all afternoon. Yes, curly tailed grubs, white ones, with gold glitter. A guy at sportsman's said that the white tube jigs he likes with gold glitter was sold out but there were some grubs there with the same color. I am here to say that they worked as good or maybe better than the tubes. I had action all afternoon on them. The only problem is that the grubs do not last as long on the hook. The fish tear them up. But I would have to say that they may work even better than tubes. This may start a grub craze similar to the tube craze at Strawberry. Let me know if any of you have had luck with them.
[signature]
I fish the grubs a lot up there . I prefer to not use bait with my jigs and the curly tails work pretty good . I have caught a lot of my bows on grubs and some of the Maniacs products this year .

Piscispursuit , Nice report . I may have to make one more trip this weekend .

[#ffffff][size 1][/size][/#ffffff]
[signature]
Well, another outstanding day. Never get tired of hearing your adventures on the berry. I will be up there tommorrow and hope to do half as well as you. Good luck!
[signature]
I fished the berry monday on my toon. I used curly tailed grubs, white with a red tail. Got a few bumps but no hookups. I changed to a pointer minnow and it was FISH ON all afternoon.They were all cuts 16-25". My last fish was a big one but didn't like the looks of my net and did a deep dive and came up between legs, wrapped the line around my foot and foot rest. He gave me a dirty look,shook his head and ran of with that expensive lure[pirate]. I tried a few rapalas but they didn't want those cheep lures.
What a nice day up there, air temp was 53, water temp was 42.
[signature]
I've gotta use my tube again someday - that's sounds like great fun. My condolences on the lost pointer, at $14 a whack they are pricey, but they sure catch a lot of fish. Sounds like my next trip will be in the late-morning/afternoon, we did better then than early also.
[signature]
Piscispursuit,
I never get tired of good fishing reports from my favorite lake. Keep them coming. It lets me dream of fishing when I'm at work!
[signature]
What color and size pointer do you throw? Do you throw to shore or just locate fish and throw to them? The pointers that I have only dive about 4 to 5 feet and suspend. Is that what you recommend?
[signature]
That sure beats a day at the office! Nice fish and great information.

Chinook, I use the pointer 78 series in either nishiki or ghost minnow colors. We normally throw them up to the shallow areas along the banks where there is cover. You can throw them directly at fish that just surfaced and it works as well. My father in-law was throwing pointers at active fish on the surface last Sunday and had great luck hooking up.

I have also found that your diameter of line will greatly effect how deep those things run, maybe as much a 2 feet.
[signature]
If your lucky you may catch that big one with a free pointer hanging from his mouth, but watch out he likes to hog tie your feet[Smile]
[signature]
Chinook, I was trolling (1.5 gps) a ghost minnow, silver with a little green on top. Its about 4" long. The package says its weight is 16.5 grams. I trolled where the depth was 35'. The fish were suspended at 17-25'. I had to add a little weight to get it deeper. Hope this helps.
[signature]
[reply]
My condolences on the lost pointer, at $14 a whack they are pricey, but they sure catch a lot of fish.

You guys would die if I told how many pointers I have lost. What sucks more is breaking the bill off by whacking them on the side of the boat.

My buddy lost his first 78 last year by tripping over his rod and his shoe eyelet cut his line. We didn't notice until it was too late.
[/reply]
[signature]

[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Great report! Thanks for rubbing it in for those who can't get up to the berry.[Tongue] Keep the posts coming, I have to live vicariously through the board since I won't be able to go fish until next year. Damn Work!!! WAy to git'r dun on the berry.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Skeeter,Whats the size of those beauties? Are you fishing those maniacs close to the shore line or fishing them in deeper water?
[signature]
I don't know the size of the one in the picture but the biggest we caught was only 22 inches. But we had a excellent day as well we caught probley 100 or more fish that day. We were fishing near a drop off, the water went from 15 feet to 25 ft. The fish seemed to be right along the drop. We caught our fish on 4 inch maniac sticks rigged wackey style in the predator color. The sticks seemed to work better when we painted the tail chartruese. We also caught them on Pointers, and tubes.
[signature]
That is so wrong, using a perfectly good Maniac senko(a Mad-Scientist put me up to it) on troutski's. [Tongue]

I hooked up the boat again today(Turkey day) and decided my bed was way tooo nice.lol

[signature]