Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identify this fish!
I just returned from the family vacation to Yucatan, Mexico. We spent one day on a fishing charter where we caught a few barracuda, snappers, and few other smaller fish. We fished from shore early one morning and caught a few unidentified fish. Can anyone help out on identifying this fish? It was about 20” long, and caught within about 30’ from shore. I don't know what it is, just asking.
[signature]
It would be easier to identify if we have a picture. Is there any way to describe the coloring of the fish with some kind of detail??

What part of Mexico were you in?
[signature]
The photo is attached. Just click the file attachment, it should show up. We were in the Tulum area, about 90 miles south of Cancun.
[signature]
Thanks for your help, but I found out from another website that it is a ladyfish. The large lower jaw is a prominant feature of lady fish. Chicken
[signature]
Yep - it's a ladyfish, a member of the tarpon family. Not good for people to eat, but good for cut bait for grouper, snook, redfish, speckled trout, bluefish, etc. Fun fight, for the size... (we have 'em in FL, sometimes they take so much bait, they are a nuisance).
snook.hooker
[signature]