Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creek Company ODC 420 Float Tube on Sale
I just noticed that the Creek Company Website is running a sale on their ODC 420 float tube. It is regularly priced at $149-$159. They have it marked down to $110. Even with shipping this is a real bargain. Here's the link:

[url "http://creekcompany.com/multidisplay.php?Department=Float+Tubes"]ODC 420 Sale
[/url]

Kinda makes me wonder if they are going to discontinue it - either that or maybe release an updated model. If anyone hears anything about it, let us know.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]My guess is that it is a simply ploy to get more of them on the water, to help sell more of them by word of mouth from happy users. The 420 was new in their line this year and I am betting that it will be a "standard" in the industry for awhile. They have done a good job of coming up with good competition for the SFC at a better price.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Many manufacturers offer special prices during the "off season" to stimulate gift purchases and to keep production going. It's all good for us tubers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for the headsup.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP, I'M GOING TO ORDER ANOTHER ONE AS A BACK UP (TO BRING A BUDDY ALONG)

ATFISHING
[signature]
hi there
i own one en must say i am really happy whit it
i never used another one but this one works great for me

johan
[signature]
I've been toying with the idea of getting one as a back-up as well. Not that I need the extra floatation it provides over and above my FC4 - I'm not quite as generously sized as some folks, but, even for the original retail price, it seemed like a good deal(that's about the same price that I paid for my FC4).

I like the idea of the foam seat and the support it might provide - my FC4 has an inflatable seat. I think, most other FC4's that I've seen, have the foam seats - I got mine with the inflatable seat for portability. But, now that I also use a tube for bigger and more easily accessible waters as well, the original packability and weight issues would not come into play.

The bright blue color scheme would also be a benefit on the bigger waters - my current FC4 tube is "blend-into-the-rocks-battleship-grey" in color - much more difficult to see, when I think being noticed by the power crowd out on the water could be a better plan.
[signature]
sorry i was reading to fast i dont have that one
but for that price i would take a run to the shop

here in holland we pay for that boat 250,- euro and thats about
$275,-
so you guys are very lucky

well who of you will send one by mail [Wink]

johan
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Chuck, I am betting that SW will have a great price on them after the first of the year. I think I will get one to try too. Maybe we can go in as a tag team and I can hold them while you hit them, to get the best price.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
HEY FISHHOUND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY ODC, FRESH AND SALTWATER [cool]

AT
[signature]
Great picture, AT.

Earlier in my discussion of the ODC 420 (in another thread, I think) I made the comment that I didn't think that the quality of this tube was as high as the Fish Cat 4. Since getting mine I will now have to say I was wrong. What threw me off was the colors. The FC4 is dark blue with a black bottom. The stitching is hardly visible against the dark backdrop. The ODC is light blue with a gray bottom. The stitching is more visible. Made it look cheaper.

Putting the two side by side now, I'd have to say that they are of about the same quality. In fact, with the added carrying capacity of the ODC, I am very happy. Just finished equipping it with a fly rod holder and fish finder mount. Hope to get out and put some trout on the end of the line this weekend.

zonker
[signature]
[cool]Man, what a steal! I hope that price holds for a couple more months and maybe then I can swing this. That tube looks way nice, and it certainly has bigger pockets and a higher/better backed seat than my old fishcat2! Looks to me like that tube is by far the best for the $. I'm gonna own one. The question right now is just when.
[signature]
They have them all over the stores here in Cali. They are marked down from 199.00 to 159.00.

At $110 I can get a pair of them. Then I can use my FC4 to haul around my 2 giga-amp hr battery.[cool]
[signature]
You hold'm and I'll flog'm with my plastic money. Maybe wearing dark glasses and bringing the "seeing-eye" hounds will convince them that our bulk buying power of 2 will be enough initiative to pass on the savings to us.

Who knows ? Maybe the "after the holiday season" sales will be good enough to not need to be creative consumers to get the sweet deal.
[signature]
[reply]
They have them all over the stores here in Cali. They are marked down from 199.00 to 159.00.

At $110 I can get a pair of them. Then I can use my FC4 to haul around my 2 giga-amp hr battery.[cool] [/reply]

Now that would be a sight!

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Maybe I can get a pair...one for each foot. Then I can use them for "water walkers".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Us big guys gots special challenges ya know.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hi Zonker I got intrested in that and logged on the website as I found it across your apron on the other post. It said specials and was for a hundred buck and I thought to get one for my son and found it sold out when I was asking my wife if I should get him one.... waited too long!
[signature]
Except that the SFC has urethane bladders and the ODC has vinyl bladders, right? Big difference. My brother in-law had a tube with vinyl bladder and the seam came apart in the middle of the lake, I have never seen anyone move that fast, but it scared the crap out of him.
Urethane is the way to go.
[signature]
Right you are, Flygoddess. And the urethane bladders are definitely better. More than double the price, too.

Having said that though, I've been floating around on objects supported by vinyl bladders for at least 10 years and haven't sunk in the lake yet. Not even a close call. I have found the ODC and Fishcat 4 to have a fairly substantial vinyl bladders compared to earlier model vinyl tubes.

Only had one leaky scare and that was in a round donut Caddis tube in 1986. It was a cool fall day and I was fly fishing in the middle of Manzanita Lake in Northern California. The rubber truck sized inner tube inside my Caddis began to leak through a spot I had patched. By the time I had kicked into a spot where I could stand up the thing had nearly collapsed around me. I was pretty scared but did survive.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There is no denying that Urethane makes for a better bladder (kinda catchy). Only problem is that few manufacturers provide them standard on their craft, and none that I know of make them available as optional replacements. You have to shop for a tube that provides urethane air chambers, even if it means not getting all the other features and options you want.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The strength of the walls of the urethane bladder is better than most vinyls. But, urethane will split out when overinflated, just like vinyl. And, it is not impervious to holes from fish spines, shoreline stickers, errant hooks, etc. I have had to make several repairs on the urethane bladders in the Fat Cats my wife and I have owned for only two years.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With basic care and caution, almost all bladders will provide several years of safe and reliable use. We have all heard horror stories, but I have never had anything worse than a pinhole leak in any tube I have owned over a half century of tubing. Nor have I ever known anybody who had an air chamber lose air too fast for them to make it to shore...with one exception. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the BFT members in Utah joined us on a walleye flotilla last year. In his excitement to get launched, he did not properly seat and seal the air valve on one side of his Fish Cat. He was a hundred yards from shore when he noticed he was listing to one side. Fortunately, another member with an electric motor on his 'toon hauled the chagrined tuber back to shore before he did a "Poseidon" rollover.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You can blow a car tire if overinfalted, but you really have to fill the heck out of it. And yes I know if you puncture anything with a sharp object, that is where a vinyl outershell instead of nylon comes in to play. If there is a will, there is a way.
I take fishing to the point of maybe being a little anal.
When I go out on open water I am carrying at least two rods totaling at LEAST $1,000. (reel, line, and rod ) not to mention all the flies, tippet, tools.
I feel that my life and my equipment is worth more than $149.00 or even $200.
I don't feel that I should settle for a, good, floatation devise. I want one that has odvious staying power (with the thought in mind that Sh*&%t Happens)
As I said, I can be a bit anal.
[signature]
Nothin' wrong with a good case of self preservation.[cool]

z~
[signature]