Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
last day of rifle
Strait from work into the woods I went , BullWinkle still had one last chance left to hang on my mantle .I was a little confident that this was the lucky day I had been waiting for , up till now the day had been going my way and had been easy and filled with unexpected pleasures , I even recived a two for one from the vending machine from work . All good omens , all day long , the signs were all there for a great hunt .
I posined myself 20 yards up the runway BullWinkle had established as a scrapeline ,it was still active and plenty of eager females had been leaving calling cards for the woodland studmuffin . I was nesseled in between a couple of blownover cedar trees from last years icestorm , my cover was perfect and allowed me full concielment with a prime lane open for shooting paralell to his trail .

An hour before dusk and twigs started to snap in the heavy brush , this might just be my lusky day at last . I frose , never moved a mussle , even when my leg neck and arm started cramping up .
Thruout the next hour , the movement from the brush let me know it wouldn't be much longer . I couldn't feel mr right leg anymore and the handwarmers in my gloves had expired , was this worth it ?
Yea I thought to myself , whats one hour compaired to a wallmount to be proud of and a few venison dinners to boot .
The last few minutes of daylight were hitting , the woods were becoming shrouded in darkness , the bare saplings of the thicket started moving with only a minuet left before twilight was blanketing my last chance for the rifle season to be sucessfull .
I finally broke from my stillike position and slowley raised my scope up on the trail , BullWinkle should be visible within the next few seconds , thats all I would need and all I had left of the season .
Out he came , one of the biggest i had ever seen , not quite the buck I imagined from all the scrapes and rubbings I had found early in the season .
I had been bested by rockey racoon ! All light gone rifle season was closed , My confidence stolen by a masked cornbandit .
To add a little insult to the injury , the coyotes just a few dosen yards north of me had began yipping and howling as if to rub the entire incident in my face . My leg, tingiling from numbness decided to join in with the wild dogs with its form of ridicule, each step home sent shockwaves of pain thruout my freezing body .
This rifle season saw a bewildered hunter foiled by mother nature .
Man , I can hardly wait for mussleloader season to start .

How did any of you do this rifle season ?
[signature]
No luck for me on this side of the state
seen 1 buck opening morning
didnt know it was a buck till it got passed
me .
Seen alot of doe
Took my son hes 8 this year
he just loves it
Maybe a new gun for him this xmas
[signature]
Congrats on the sons 8 point[cool] . I'm still buckless here [blush].
Someones been hunting out of my blind on stateland during the day , foot tracks and cigarette butts everywhere at the blind .
Saw plenty of does myself . We sure have a lot of buttonbucks running around here .
I have the mussleloader out but think I'm going to buy a new one , maybe a inline . the henry I have takes a couple of pulls on the triggers before it fires , I think the springs are just too weak .
Christmas morning and a gun for junior , I'll bet he would love that [cool] !
[signature]