Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Tubes Flip in the waves?
I was just wondering how boyant those tubes are, how do they hold up to them pesky personal water craft.

can they flip on ya if a boat come close enough to place you in their wake?
[signature]
[cool] Hey, Dave, your questions remind me of a demonstration I once saw at a state fair, for a kitchen applieance that chopped vegetables, etc. In response to a question from a (female) onlooker, who asked if you could cut yourself on it, the demonstrator replied "If you want to. All you have to do is put your finger right there, activate the blades, and the "red" comes out right here."

In a regular "donut"...round tube...much of your body sits at or below the water line. The center of gravity is low, so the system is very stable, even in some rough water. I prefer a round tube for launching and beaching through surf conditions. Some pontoons (with oar assist) work well on launching, but can be brutalized when trying to make it back to shore.

That's the worst part of putting in from an open beach...getting back in. Even more than getting out, beaching is a matter of timing, technique, strength and balance. I have a whole section in my book on launching and beaching under different conditions. I had to practice (without tackle) quite a few beachings before I could arrive vertical instead of rolled up in a ball with sand in my shorts.

I have never come close to flipping in a boat wake, but I have taken some serious splash down my back and neck. If you have time to evaluate the size and shape of the bow wake, you can position your craft to either take it from the side or the back. If you are fishing where there are bow wakes large enough to flip you, you need to get out of the shipping channel.

Even worse than bow wakes are water skiers and personal water craft. On a couple of lakes I began taking one rod rigged with a beat up old hardbait, with a full set of trebles. Hauled one guy right off his PWC after a masterful cast wrapped a wrist. When he threatened to report me to the rangers I just asked him how he was going to explain getting close enough to be tangled in my line. Lost that plug. Left the hooks in him so he could go to the doctor. Shoulda ripped them out and released him "unharmed".

Carried a wrist rocket for a few trips on Willard Bay Reservoir in Utah, back in the days when float tubes were more of a novelty. Water skiers thought I made a great pylon for slalom moves. After I hit one of them in the butt with a marble from my wrist rocket I got in trouble. The ranger couldn't stop laughing long enough to finish writing my ticket, but I was "sternly warned".

I have a 4-tube rod rack on my craft. Once had a downed water skier ask what it was, and I told him it was a surface to surface missile launcher for shooting down skiers that got too close. Didn't work. As with most of those idiots, he still chose to "dump" every time he got close to the point I was working for bass.

Final answer? Flotation fishing is inherently safer than most boating...if you excercise proper precautions and wear your required devices.
[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1979258.gif]
[signature]
I had a funny feeling when I first got in the FishMaster tube but got the hand on it fast. I thought it was too easy to flip over but it doesn't at all as I was in the middle and it can't flip. Pretty nice boat!
[signature]
Just going back through some of these tubes and toons threads and doing some research for my own fishing and wanted to add my 2cents...

I have never felt even slightly at risk in a tube even out on Strawberry with some decent white caps of about 3'...lots of work, but didn't feel like flipping.

However, I have heard a story from a good friend and long time ICU nurse that said she had a friend who flipped in a tube up at Strawberry and was unable to get out of his tube. She said that every muscle in his neck and upper back was ripped away from the exertion of trying to right himself. So...take it for what you will. And everyone, be safe and take the necessary precautions.
[signature]
[
However, I have heard a story from a good friend and long time ICU nurse that said she had a friend who flipped in a tube up at Strawberry and was unable to get out of his tube. She said that every muscle in his neck and upper back was ripped away from the exertion of trying to right himself. So...take it for what you will. And everyone, be safe and take the necessary precautions.[/quote]

WOW DUDE WHAT ?????????????????
[signature]
about a mount ago a got cot in a storm in estern sierra
with rain small hail and waver about 18''-24'' and I felt
very safe.Cold, wet,but safe.
I was in super fat cat.
Hope this helps

Peter
[signature]
We must remember that a float tube is a small boat, or small water craft, whichever you prefer to call it.

People vary a huge amount in their balance, weight and understanding of boats.
I for a long time had small boats on a popular river and often the bank anglers would ask me for a lift over to an island. Not many of these anglers were boaters, and my river boat was a small 10' - 12' open rowing dinghy.

During this period I carried many people in different small boats across the deeper river parts. How they behaved in my boats varied enormously one from another.
Some would step from the pier onto the centreline over the keel, so the boat hardly moves but merely settles an inch deeper in the water.
But I always had to watch out because others would step onto the gunwale (!) and if let do this would place their entire weight on this pivot point as they step in, making the boat roll over. They would not see in advance the obvious result of stepping on the side of the boat.

Another few fail to apreciate a small boat is light with no inertia, and treat it like a big immovable liner. These would step onto the front or back with one foot and push the boat away from the pier as they try to move into it, pushing the boat out causing them to "do the splits" over the water, and forcing me to row back or haul on a rope to prevent them falling in.

Most people sit in the middle of a small boat seat, but "landlubbers" sit away over on the side of the seat in a small boat, causing the boat to "list" or heel over. Then I also have to sit on an opposite side of my seat to balance things up.

A few people combined both greater weight and bad balance and I have had to instruct them with great emphasis not to get into the boat wrongly, because I knew with 100% certainty they would turn it over while doing so.

That's small boats, now lets look at the same issues in a float tube.
The tube by design is extremely steady and very tolerant of bad balance and leaning away from the centreline. it's hard to place your weight outside the zone of floatation, and cause an overbalance and capsize.
As somebody said you would probably have to stand up and take a dive.

I saw one person who had really horrible "small boat balance sense" sit in a tube I loaned him, and lean out and over. He was also tall, as well as big, looking like a leaning tree planetd in a tube, and actually managed to cause one side of the tube to begin to lift up, and the other to submerge, something I never saw before, and this alarmed me so I suggested he stick to boating thereafter.

Now consider the tube in a wave. We float like a cork, impossible to sink. We go up the face of a wave and down the sloping far side again. I have tubed in 3 - 4 foot waves with no danger at all.
But these particular guys I am remembering - all of them would have turned a tube over in big waves. How? They would have leaned out while the tube was on the sloping wave surface, and leaned the wrong way, and put their centre of gravity outside the perimeter of the tube.
Doing that would be impossible to me, but natural to them.

Remember - these guys are still able to float tube safely. But for them to be safe they need to buy a bigger size tube than I do. Preferably with a lower seat. That's all.

These guys need a lower seat than me if their tube has a similar size as mine. They just need extra stability, like a newbie kayaker. But we can all tube just fine.
We just need a small water craft that suits our physique, and our ability.

I do tube in a big wave occasionally, and there is no problem. But if there was going to be a problem I know how it would arise.
An open vee tube has less flotation in the open side, between the sponsons. Add a wave, and the slope up to a wavecrest, and simultaneously lean forwards (downhill) towards the trough, and your centre of gravity will go far enough away from centre of buoyancy, that the tube could be made to flip forwards where the opening between the sponsons is a zone of lesser support.
An open end tube with long sponsons is more resistant to this than a similar open tube with shorter sponsons.
A higher seat accentuates this, and a lower one reduces it by lowering the centre of gravity.

The manufacturer's weight rating of a tube is an indication, however it's just part of the picture.
The height of the angler also affects stability, and taller should be treated the same as heavier weight when choosing the most suitable tube to buy.
If you think that you happen to have an "iffy small boat balance sense" this should also suggest the choice of a tube rated for greater weight than your actual weight, or of greater diameter sponsons so safety is not reduced.
[signature]
Great read Norm. I sure learned somethings.
Thank you
[signature]
I agree totally with the CORK thing, and agree on how one sits.

I remember the big Henry/Strawberry waves in a donut. I thought it was fun.
I did decide, for me Bigger is Better. My pontoon is about the same size as allot of boats so no worries at all. Plus wide enough, very stable. Even standing up.
Dave has a video of going down some hairy white water rivers standing on his boat...cool as heck. I am no where ready to float those kind of waters, but nice to know the boat can take it.
[signature]

Even worse than bow wakes are water skiers and personal water craft. Yes, I am surprised to read so many of you guys will tube while mixed close in with power boats. I have seen many close calls over the years, but not from flipping. Young 12 year old kids or booze impaired teens and adults on PWC can't hear your yells or see your tube while racing at 30 mph. I would carry a loud boat horn and have a fluorescent bike flag hanging high above my tube, and still feel unsafe. On a couple of lakes I began taking one rod rigged with a beat up old hardbait, with a full set of trebles. Hauled one guy right off his PWC after a masterful cast wrapped a wrist. When he threatened to report me to the rangers I just asked him how he was going to explain getting close enough to be tangled in my line. Lost that plug. Left the hooks in him so he could go to the doctor. Shoulda ripped them out and released him "unharmed". That's funny, made my day!

Carried a wrist rocket for a few trips on Willard Bay Reservoir in Utah, back in the days when float tubes were more of a novelty. Water skiers thought I made a great pylon for slalom moves. After I hit one of them in the butt with a marble from my wrist rocket I got in trouble. The ranger couldn't stop laughing long enough to finish writing my ticket, but I was "sternly warned". Ha, Ha. Love this story, thanks for sharing.

Final answer? Flotation fishing is inherently safer than most boating...if you excercise proper precautions and wear your required devices. Yes, but if you manage to flip somehow (Repeter), the (Irish) "cork" effect works in reverse, keeping your head trapped underwater. Maybe best to have your quick release from bib or other restrictions practiced.

I am also surprised to read some will go out in "surf" like conditions. There is almost no danger of capsizing, but how do you keep from being miserable, with all the bouncing and getting splashed? How do you hold positions and keep from being blown away with only fin power?

Flygoddess I almost believe your new rig could safely get you over Niagra Falls standing up... For me, I don't want the hassels of a cigarette boat, smaller is better because you can go in small water streams as well as sections of large bodies. One can spend more time on the water and less time setting up, loading, unpacking, in maintenance, etc.... But I respect your perspective, to each his own..

Pon.

[signature]
Pon, you raised excellent points there. I agree with all, but would like to add my slant if I may, on why I might go out of my way to deal with conditions that are hard to handle, or possibly dangerous if not figured out, and prepared for.

Pon ... I am surprised to read so many of you guys will tube while mixed close in with power boats. I have seen many close calls over the years, but not from flipping. Young 12 year old kids or booze impaired teens and adults on PWC can't hear your yells or see your tube ...

I agree with you totally. Those are the sort that have single vehicle crashes. Sharing water space with them in a smaller water craft, be it tube, pontoon or small sailing dinghy, is not a nice experience. I generally go to other lakes, or arrange to fish early and return in as they arrive. They arrive late to the water in my experience.
Here in Ireland complaints from anglers, swimmers, and the tourism industry resulted in many lakes being legislated jetski/PWC free zones. This was tough on the well behaved PWC fraternity, but their wild boy clique were completely out of control. Now they have to travel to a greatly reduced number of locations to use their particular craft.

Pon ... if you manage to flip somehow ..., the ... "cork" effect works in reverse, keeping your head trapped underwater. Maybe best to have your quick release from bib or other restrictions practiced. ....
Good suggestion. A kayaker has to have the exit rehearsed, or know the eskimo roll escape well in advance. The newer SOT (sit-on-top) kayak design reduces the need for these skills, by allowing an instant parting from the craft if capsized. In our tubes we are somewhat like the sit inside kayakers. If for any reason the tube ends up inverted, we can't argue that it's highly unlikely to have happened. We must exit the tube without more than a few seconds delay, get into a heads up attitude, and then sort things out. I'm sure that not many tube users have mentally or actually rehearsed the sequence of actions that will accomplish this safely and quickly, or what items of tackle might block and tangle and have to be dealt with. They should at least make an exit plan/preocedure. It's necessary, just like an office fire drill.

Pon ...surprised to read some will go out in "surf" like conditions. There is almost no danger of capsizing, but how do you keep from being miserable, with all the bouncing and getting splashed? How do you hold positions and keep from being blown away with only fin power?...
This is my experience here and my friends may see it differently: The tube handles the waves. Going up and down is fun, but makes line control very difficult. That undoubtedly reduces the effectiveness of my fishing technique, particurly bite detection and successful striking. Sonar display is compromised making a sawtooth bottom.
On the other hand, the fish bite far better and this makes up for much.

In a bigger wave the finning action while seated in the tube is quite difficult, often while kicking, the tube will pitch up where it was going down or vice versa and this leaves a fin deeper than planned, or popping out of the water surface making an unwanted splash and losing the power of that kick. I don't like that, and it does take from the fun.
Four things are relevant: 1: that's fishing, 2: I could have brought a boat that day, but chose not to. 3: I can mentally file away the weather and plan going to a smaller water next time in that wind strength, or 4: fish a more sheltered bay in the water I'm about to get blown around in.

Most important points about tubing in a bigger wind and "lee shore" rough water wave. We stick in much nearer to the shore. We go upwind so we will be blown back home when we finish. We bring one or two anchors so we can go out 30 - 100 metres, no more, drop anchor and fish back into the lee shore we left from, where fish feed. There's not much need to go further in those conditions. The waves might break over the tube from behind but at anchor that's ok and if you're dressed or it quite exhilarating fishing.
The truth is, a tube handles waves well. But a tube does not go against a wind well, it's very tiring.
Be aware that after an hour a fresh wind will setup a current on the surface layer of a lake flowing downwind at about 1/10th to 1/4 the windspeed. So kicking fins against a 15mph / bft force 4 / 22kph wind, then involves simultaneously kicking "upstream" what is effectively, a 5mph river at the same time. And a tube does 1 - 2mph max cruise speed, all higher speeds being "sprint" and unsustainable for an extended time, so you won't beat that current for long, just a few minutes. If caught, go across and downwind to a landing place, as going upwind will cause your to run-on-the-spot with no benefit until you tire and lose it drifting downwind anyway.

So that's the downside. The upside is: most of the fish food in the lake is travelling by wind and current to the lee shore, and the fish go there to feed, and they are close to the shore, where the downwind current/breeze takes them, before the water dives down and goes back upwind underneath along the lake bottom.

One important point: if you can't handle the breeze on an exposed windy wavy lee shore in your tube, don't try, and in so doing put yourself in danger.

Now for the one the pros and books don't mention:
You can alternatively go upwind to the windward shore which is sheltered and calm, at least it is near the shore, and as you move out it becomes a ripple, and then a wave as the wind picks up strength the farther you go away from shelter.
Anyway, the lake's sunken wind driven upwind current upwells in this zone. Bottom dwelling insect food items get lifted up to the surface here against their better judgment, and get eaten by fish that wait for them.
Also, quantities of terrestrial insects from trees and bushes will be blown onto the water and get eaten. There are two places to watch: the edge of the ripple which is where the terrestrials land, and the "flattening" of the wave which is at the shelf dropoff where the upwelling occurs and midge pupae and bloodworms are brought up. In a stratified lake this zone might be deoxygenated and easily dismissed. But trout have been proven to enter both warm and deoxygenated water for easy pickings, in conditions that are lethal to them if they stay there. But they are willing to do a snatch and grab and retreat to the cooled airy ripple, then come back.

In a shallower and windy lake no stratification occurs, or a previous storm a fortnight ago, can be used to predict a turnover midsummer turnover that anglers don't realise has happened.

In a diamond or square shape lake the upwelling can be funnelled into a narrow spot, and what a transient hotspot it is! Perfect for tubing, in the calm or slight ripple, and on a day when you have the lake to yourself. But be most careful not to be swept out, because you chose the upwind side.

I reckon on windy days surface feeders go 50% downwind to the lee shore, 30% upwind to the upwelling zone and 20% to where terrestrials land beside the upwelling zone, and the rest of the lake is cleared out with the exception of minor "holding areas" around reefs, headlands and islands which exhibit some of the wind driven attractions mentioned above. The bottom current moves bottom feeders onto these places, but many will go into the windy zones to predate on the smaller fish feeding there.
In short, it's a time to fish, if you can.

But a warning for beginners: in those conditions everything must be organised, pre-figured out, and good equipment used, both tubing and clothing. You have to have tubed for years and thought about it while you were doing it, and built up skills and adequate fitness.
Call it advanced float tubing. I would not call it extreme tubing, but it would be that if all was not organised, the equipment unreliable with no spare capacity for case of need, or the skills not already learned.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Okay, so it's bad form to reply to your own post. But, since this was dragged back out of the past...2003...and since there seems to be some current concerns, let me pop off again.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. I seriously question the story about the tuber flipping on Strawberry and ripping loose all of his muscles. Almost impossible. He could have flipped, if he really tried hard. But, if he had a quick release buckle on his round tube...STANDARD ON ALL MODELS...he could have unclicked it and could easily exit the tube from either the top or the bottom. In the olden days, when there were ONLY round tubes, I demonstrated that in several float tubing seminars. Easier than rolling over in a kayak. I am a big dude and I have lifted my tube up over my head to get out of tricky beaching situations a couple of times...after undoing the quick release buckle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Flipping in the waves? Again, YES you can, if you try hard enough. But, you have to place your tube sideways to the oncoming waves and then heave yourself over when the wave hits you. At least that is the way I suppose it could be done. I have never been desperate or dumb enough to try it. And, I have NEVER been in even the remotest danger of doing so.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. Very few tubers are going to launch when it is windy and nasty. But, sometimes a storm will come up while we are on the water and have to deal with it. Personally, I get off the water as soon as the breeze is strong enough to mess up my "touch fishing". I fish light jigs on light tackle and when the wind puts a bow in my line, I am done. However, I have been caught well away from my launch site on a few occasions when the wind was too strong and the waves too high to beat my way back to where I started. The best thing I have come up with is to fight my way to the nearest sheltered cove or available shoreline. Then I get out of the water and wait for the wind to die down. And, it usually will. If it doesn't, I walk or hitchhike back to my vehicle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Newbie tubers and non-tubers love to play the "WHAT IF" games. In most cases they quickly realize that the potential for disaster is not really all that great and their fears are not justified. But, some folks just won't let it go. I just wanna smack them. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been tubing all over the country for over 50 years...on all kinds of water and under all kinds of conditions. I admit that I have gotten myself into some situations that I try to avoid in the future, but I have never considered myself to be seriously at risk because I was in a float tube. To the contrary, I have been grateful that I was in a tube and not a boat on more than one occasion.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Despite all of the "third hand" stories I have heard about tubers sinking or turning over in their tubes, I have never witnessed such an incident, nor have I heard such an account from anybody who I would consider to be a reliable witness. It has all been "Well, I heard tell, from....". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I HAVE been in several auto accidents and have narrowly avoided being in several others. I have lost family and friends to not only auto accidents, but to many other freak situations that could not have been anticipated. Stuff happens. But, it happens a lot more in non-tubing situations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If we gear up properly, take the time to become familiar with our equipment and how it works and if we use proper precautions in launching, beaching and operation, we should avoid the avoidable. Furthermore, we should always pay attention to the weather. Forecasts can be wrong...and often are. So, always keep your eyes on what is actually happening, rather than relying 100% on the forecast. If clouds appear...especially with lightning...get off the water. Ditto for wind that comes up suddenly and gets stronger fast. It may already be too late to get back and you might just need to look for a safe port until it blows over.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As Dirty Harry says, "A man should know his limitations." That is especially true with tubing. Don't try to cover too much lake on your first trip...or after you have not been tubing for awhile. Kicking gently is not too strenuous, but doing it for longer than you can handle will produce leg cramps and leave you painfully stranded well away from your vehicle. That can be scary...and dangerous.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's about enough out of me.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Flygoddess I almost believe your new rig could safely get you over Niagra Falls standing up... For me, I don't want the hassels of a cigarette boat, smaller is better because you can go in small water streams as well as sections of large bodies. One can spend more time on the water and less time setting up, loading, unpacking, in maintenance, etc.... But I respect your perspective, to each his own..

Bet I am on the water before you.

[Image: 2005-05-18006.jpg]

And once there, there is nothing I can't do.
[signature]
Guess I thought the whole premise "Less is More" was the basic idea of 'tube' fishin. Otherwise just go with a powerboat...

Bet I am on the water before you.

Will take that bet!

My 6' pontoon weighs less than 40# completely set up as it goes in the water, and is stored out of sight beneath my pickup's fiberglass tonneau cover. Nobody even knowns it's there, it goes to work with me sometimes, so I can head off to the river afterward. Once I reach the lake just slide out and carry to water's edge and take off! No waiting a turn for the boat ramp, and if water's edge is far away I can use the wheel to roll up and store wheel on board. No rods, tackle, depthfinder, propulsion system, shade cover, etc. to load- everything is attached. No trailer to back up, maneuver, park or maintain.

[.IMG][url "http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/FlyGoddess/Boat%20and%20Motor/2005-05-18006.jpg%5B/IMG%5D"]http://i44.photobucket.com/...5-05-18006.jpg[/IMG][/url]

And once there, there is nothing I can't do.

Can you launch from remote sections where there are no roads? Can you power yourself through sections of skinny 9" deep water without even getting out of your pontoon or breaking a sweat? Can you portage around 1/4 mile long rapids without takedown? Can you pack the whole deflated thing in a large carry on bag and fly off to explore water anywhere? Can you fit the inflated unit either inside or strapped to the roof of the smallest subcompact rental car? I do have pictures I can dig up of some of these things if you want to see in a P.M.

Pon

[/quote]
[signature]
I think everyone wants to see pictures, so pms won't help
My boat weights a little more at 67lbs. Less if I leave the shelf and standing platform off.
Yes, it has a back pack Packs up very small.
I have never waited at the boat ramp...I do use them once in awhile though, but still no wait, which also answers your remote question.
If I by pass the sonar, motor, I would be on the water in seconds. BACK UP? not a problem, but generally don't have to do that either.

I can float in 3" of water, and

Can you portage around 1/4 mile long rapids without takedown?
If I was capable, this would definitely be the boat I would do that with...check out the You Tubes for Dave Scadden and the Outlaw.

I have not tried the strapping to a small car, first off that is why the trailer. I don't rent cars. I do drive a Suzuki Grand Vitara...trust me, it's small.
However, the gent that bought one of the Cardiac Canyons we sold, does transport it on the roof of his CJ5, so yes it is very possible. That boat was even a foot two feet longer.

I do have a video that I have to try to You Tube it, that shows me blowing up my Outlaw in 1.15 minutes and putting the frame together, strapping to the toon another 6 minutes.

I prefer leaving them on the trailer in the garage. I decide to go by myself, I pull one off, hook to car and I am gone.

I have been doing this a very long time and have figured out all the short cuts.

You know...pictures would sure help.
NEXT>>>>>>>>>
[signature]
oh yeah...this part:

Guess I thought the whole premise "Less is More" was the basic idea of 'tube' fishin. Otherwise just go with a powerboat...

I couldn't agree more. With a TUBE I do keep it simple...very simple.
Fly Boxes in the side bags and one rod with floating line the other with sinking. One rod holder for the rod I am not using at the moment, plus the side bags have a rod holder. Flippers, waders, food to go.

BIT, for those big lakes and rivers...I do have a power boat. That was the idea. I will probably replace the Battery and Electric motor for a gas one also.
That is the great thing...I can have both....simple tube, and a power boat.
[signature]
Ok kids - lets be nice now or you not going to
be able play togeter anymore[cool]

We all love our toys and we all like it the way we have it.
so there!

Peter
[signature]
Right On.
[signature]
Love reading TD's explainations. I would trust what he says because I have been in many of them myself, with him. As to flipping a tube. I have not been in the newer pontoon type craft, but used a donut style for years. The only time I ever flipped one was launching. You can flip one while backing in and not being careful when you first sit down. Did it once at Yuba and at Utah Lake. One way to get around the big waves was to go to a bigger tube.

I used 20 and 22" Bucks Bags that were dual diameter tubes, the back of the tube was larger in diameter than the front to give you more support where your weight was when sitting. This was an inovation of Insul Dri, along with neoprene waders. I have been on Utah Lake in 3ft. waves in my 22" tube. I did not enjoy it, but was not afraid of tipping.

As to the danger of jet skis and water skiers. I have problems with them in my boat. I run a 18 ft. Skeeter with a 175 hp outboard and they still think that I am just a fishing boat and can't run em down. I have had skiers try and put a skier between me and the shoreline I was working, with the boat outside me. would have pulled the rope right over me. That diver dumped her skier off when I bounced buzz bait off her windshield. Kept the skier in the water for over a half hour by keeping between him and the boat with my electric and bouncing a jig off her boat when she got to close. Finally let her get him, Ranger Shawn was not real happy with me, but wrote them the ticket when I explained what happened. I now just carry my cell phone and call 911 when crap like that happens. Back in the day, we didn't have cells, so the wrist rocket was your only protection.

As to the danger of jet skis and water skiers. I have problems with them in my boat. I run a 18 ft. Skeeter with a 175 hp outboard and they still think that I am just a fishing boat and can't run em down. I have had skiers try and put a skier between me and the shoreline I was working, with the boat outside me. would have pulled the rope right over me. That diver dumped her skier off when I bounced buzz bait off her windshield. Kept the skier in the water for over a half hour by keeping between him and the boat with my electric and bouncing a jig off her boat when she got to close. Finally let her get him, Ranger Shawn was not real happy with me, but wrote them the ticket when I explained what happened. I now just carry my cell phone and call 911 when crap like that happens. Back in the day, we didn't have cells, so the wrist rocket was your only protection.[/quote]

wow man ,thats some crazy stuff.That kinda stuff could
kill you, take your head right off!!!!!!!!!!
I would go really crazy ,run them down and start kicking
some ass.

[signature]