Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is lost creek closed?
Heres the deal with lost creek. The DWR has allowed you to catch fish year round on that lake. This is why there is no closure in the proclamation. However, it is a state park. The state parks department has closed the state park from november to may. The supposed reason for this is the state parks dept doesnt want to hassle with going up there and collecting money or dealing with any other issues up there. The parks dept got with the morgan county sherrif dept and niether of them wants the park open during the winter. So, what you run the risk of is a tresspassing ticket. But, you are allowed to fish and catch your legal limit. But the park is closed, so if you run into the county cops, or parks people, you may get a tresspass ticket, but if you run into the fish and game, they will tell you to park outside the gate, walk up the hill and fish. That said, I found a few hours to fish this morning before funeral stuff, so I went up there. The fishing was very fast. Fish were all over in the water column, so you would get fish on before your line hit bottom, or if you were lucky enough to get it down there, one would have it within a minuet or two. A few hours went by and I heard my name yelled from the top of the hill, it was rainbow sparkle. Fished a bit more, and came home. Same old story, summer or winter, planter size is the rule. White was the color. You can bet when I am done here, I will be sending an e-mail to the parks dept. I pay for my pass, that gate should be open.
I would be very curious to hear what they have to say. I would love to take my kids up there for some non-stop action like that. How far is the walk from the gate? Never ice fished it and usually drive all the way around to the ramp in the summer. Ice thickness? Thanks in advance for any info and tight lines!
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The Hyrum Swim Beach State Park Area is much the same way. The only difference is that the ramp is always open and when they close the gate at the top of the hill to the swim beach area it is considered tresspassing and the Cache County Sheriff will ticket you. What's even wackier, If you're camped at the campground at the ramp and you walk the trail that is along the shoreline to the swim beach and get caught after hours, you get ticketed![/size][/font]
[signature]
I like to take my kid to lost creek and saw that it was open for fishing in the 2003 proclamation. Your report of tresspassing interested me and I too would like to contact someone about gaining access because I bought a pass as well and I think that we should be allowed into this area if it is open for year round fishing. The area is mostly privately owned and there realy is no other way in.
[signature]
F4F,

Take your kids. I was the first to test it and no cop is going to give you a ticket for fishing with your kids. If you need a good lawyer post a message I NEED A LAWYER and I'll hook you up. Unfortunately I have have a kid that knows a good one at my expense. See HFT thread on Strawberry for more info.

IFG
[signature]
Lost Creek is one of my favorites to take my wife and boy fishing, next farmington pond. Even with planters the fishing is fast and furious to keep them interested. I would be very P.O.'ed to get a trespass ticket for family fun. But, it wouldn't [size 1]surprise[/size] me from the same people who said they wouldn't light the "Island" [size 1]buoy[/size] on Willard. However if I bought some kind of [size 1]permanent [/size]solar powered light, they would attach it to the [size 1]buoy[/size] for me![crazy]
[signature]
I think I will head up there. An park agent or county mounty actually patrolling something would be a first in this state. I personally think that Utah does a lousy job of patrolling most things like this, unless the lake is named Strawberry.
[signature]
[size 2]Predator, after you left it picked up slightly and Josh caught a 14"-16" cutthroat. It looked like a whale compared to the rest of the fish we were catching. We should petition to get the gate opened. I too would like to take my son but he is only five and the sled is already full so he would have to walk. Why do some lakes have an entrance fee and others don't? Is it only because they have a boat ramp or bathrooms or is it just because the state named it a state park and then they built the bathrooms and ramps. If the problem is that no one wants to drive up there to collect the fees in the box, pay one of the locals to check it daily. Why don't the fish and game have more pull on the state park? They should dictate what our access is to an area since the reason for going is harvesting fish which falls under the jurisdiction of the Fish and Game.[/size]
[signature]
state parks takes control of certain areas improves them and the for all intensive purposes owns the area improved. you pay to access those areas. for me i like remote left alone places so the improvements are a eyesoar for me. what bothers me is i have to pay to fish places i had fished since i was a little kid. and i dont ever utilize the extra conveniences they added. so they are nice for some people but for me just bug me and i have nothing to gain from it yet to access a area i use to i have to pay 5 bucks or whatever. its all about money anymore with outdoors in this state.
[signature]
AMEN Xman! It drives me nuts all the little fees and extra $$ you have to spend in this state. They make things complicated and add a fee to everything! That is the #1 reason I visit my home state of Wyoming all the time. You actually get to enjoy the outdoors without the annoying fees for this and that!
[signature]
For those of you interested in contacting the parks dept on the issues of lost creek, hyrum or any other parks, heres a link that will send them an e-mail.

[url "mailto:parkcomment@utah.gov"]mailto:parkcomment@utah.gov[/url]
[signature]
Thanks for the link. I sent them an email requesting guidance on the Lost Creek access issue. I will post what they have to say, if they reply back!!!
[signature]
I emailed them today about it as well. Thanks for the link. I figure if enough of us email them and voice our concern, it might get looked at.... or we will all get the same canned reply!
[signature]
A perfect example of this is Gooseberry. I used to go there all the time, park right at the edge of the water and there always seemed to be plenty of room for everyone. Now the have fenced it back and made individual camp sites and charge a fee, and every time you go, the camps sites are all gone. I very seldom go there now.
[signature]
well i cant say im glad to see everyone feels the same because its a pretty cruddy thing to feel that way about. i wish i could say hey im happy to see everyone enjoying the outdoors without being regulated everywhere you look. thanks for the link predator ill voice my three cents this time also.

by the way went to deer creek on sunday, fishing was redhot from 10 to 12. after that it was a dead duck. one bite from noon till dusk. ugh. either way caught 8 healthy bows in two hours. one that was the reported 2 1/2 lber. the other fish i would guess 1lb or less .the average fish being reported for the lake is a bit over zealous i think based on what i was catching. the island had heavy heavy pressure for powerbaiters. the dam south side was a little pressure not much. with a few people walking in a ways pulling sleds or what not. as for ice conditions, not looking to icy hehe. the dam had about 50 feet or so the north shore had scattered areas of 100 skiffs. i dont think its goign to freeze guys. what now for the party????? only saw one other guy catch a fish in the snow that day. side note someone was boating across the lake in a little teeny boat they drove down to the shore line. they were shooting guns allover what the heck is in season? im a well versed hunter but i cant think of anything other than chukars. are ducks still going?
[signature]
Ducks and geese are open until the 18th.

IFG
[signature]