Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
garfish
Was fishing alone in the dark while camping last week. Got the bright idea of using one of the grandkids marshmallows on my hook as they weren't biting my night crawlers. In just a few minutes I hollered that I had hold of a whopper! It took hold of my hook and struck out downstream like a streak of ligntning, my line just-a-singing. Everybody came running to see and upon getting him in shallow water, I thought I had caught a long snake, but they insisted they saw fins so I reeled him on in. (Half of him, that is) I stopped when we saw it was bout a 3 ft garfish. Was gonna cut the line, (sure wasn't puttings my hands on that thing) but he got off, thank goodness. Have heard others say they caught gar in the same lake. Are these things a problem in our freshwater lakes? Aren't they endangering the population of the other fish?Just wondering! I know they are sure scary looking boogers tho I did have a ball catching him.<br><br>fisherwoman
Thanks Anonymous for clueing me in on the pic of the huge garfish. That is one heck uv a monster! Mine was a baby compared to that one. Going back to the lake next week, will be fishing deep water from cousin's pontoon boat. Hope to get some stripers this time ! Happy fishing!<br><br>fisherwoman