• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LOCAL 2005 BUCK
[Image: A21FB77C-BE77-4055-869CA252D774F042.jpg]

Big buck is talk of town
12/08/2005

[Image: HtmlExp.gif] [Image: HtmlExp.gif] [Image: HtmlExp.gif]
Kevin Cederstrom
herald@eot.com

You know it's a big deer when conversation at church this past Sunday started something like: "Did you see Bernu's deer he shot?"
Whether at church or the grocery store on Sunday, Christmas party or local area tavern Saturday night people were talking about a massive buck killed by a New York Mills man.
Brandon Bernu shot a 20-point buck south of Mills Saturday afternoon with a muzzle loader, and early indications are the rack scored good enough to be a record breaker. By Saturday night word was out. The big buck created quite a stir, and what started out as a routine afternoon hunt outside of town quickly turned Bernu into a local celebrity.
"I just wanted to go hunting and shoot a deer," Bernu said. "I had no idea I was going to shoot one that big."
There's no legendary hunting story here. Bernu hadn't seen the buck before and there's no dramatic tale of man versus beast fit for a hunting novel, but rather a right place at the right time sort of deal. He was hunting with Ron and Reed Jacobson south of town when he basically walked up on the buck in its bed. The buck had apparently run itself into a rut-induced exhaustion due to chasing does the last couple weeks and had bedded down for the day. Up popped the rack and Bernu was so close he couldn't miss. The deer had shrunk down considerably and Bernu figures it hadn't eaten much all the while it was in rut.
People are talking about the buck ever since Bernu showed off photographs at the Bluffton bar Saturday night. It really was a celebration as he was treated like a local hero, rewarded with brew after brew from admiring hunters. A set of photos also made its way to the Community Christmas Party in New York Mills, where many more discussed the kill with grunts of admiration. Even the veteran hunters, who normally may not readily admit someone shot a bigger buck than them, were impressed with the 20-pointer.
Following the legendary hunt Bernu kept the deer at Jacobsons and as word spread Sunday throughout East Otter Tail County people _ complete strangers even - stopped out to see for themselves the old buck with tines the size of axe handles.
"People were coming over in their church clothes on Sunday to look at the deer. Now, that's a deer hunting story for you," Bernu commented. "Only in a small town, I guess."
On Sunday the rack's inside spread measured 24 7/8 inches, and green scored 221 non-typical. As far as any records, Bernu said he'll have to wait and see. In order to get into the Boone & Crockett record books the rack must dry for 60 days before the measurements and score are official. Even after drying and some shrinkage he figures the rack should make the record books for both typical and non-typical.
There is a possibility Bernu could profit by selling the rack but said he hasn't received any offers and will have to wait and see. Until then, maybe he could charge admission to the Sunday church crowd for a closer look at the legendary rack, which is under lock and key at an undisclosed location in East Otter Tail County. .
[signature]
that is every hunters dream!!! congrads to him[Smile]
[signature]
Awesome deer, congrads to him for being in the right spot and not missing! [Wink]
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]That's an awesome deer! Congrats to him. I definitely wouldn't sell it though.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]