Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake trout jigging rod
I just finished redoing this rod. It started out to be a 6' spinning rod. about 5 years ago I broke about 5 in. off the tip over a seagulls head. I have rewraped it and did a spiral wrap on the guides so I could use it for a casting rod, for vertical for macs. hopefully I will get to try it out soon. later chuck
[signature]
NOW THAT YOUR LAKER POLE IS DONE WHEN DO WE GET TO TRY THEM OUT? LIKE I SAID THE OTHER NIGHT IM READY FOR ANOTHER TRIP UP ANYTIME AFTER THE 1ST OF THEY YR. WHATS THE RAPP ON THE POLE? I CANT TELL WHAT IT IS? TALK TO YA SOON.
[signature]
fantastic job, I have to admit you leave me scratching my head wondering how on earth are you getting those rap paterns...
[signature]
Thanks Dave, I have a few pretty nice weave designs that I've made myself, but the crossstich patterns I've learned out of the clemens custom rod thread art book. take a look at these 2 wraps, one is the loomis fish weave witch is a little big for the size of the pole but it still looks cool. the other one is a crossstich. later chuck
[signature]
woo doggie them is fancy...
I dont know if I would have the patients for one of those.

how many hours do you put in to rapping one?
[signature]
Yea, they do take up some time, most wraps take me about 10 to 15 hours. that loomis fish weave took me about 15 hours just to put on the rod and about 24 more hours to draw and make the instructions, that was a tough one. later chuck
[signature]
thats a pretty powerfull constitution. takes some comitment. and sure gives one reason to understand why a quality rod is priced the way they are... actualy justifies the price of a good rod...

I take it you can work on them a few hours and come back to them on another day or are you pulling some long work days?
[signature]
about 4 hours at a time is about it, but I did do a 8 hour sitting one time. you can save about half the price on a top end rod if you build one your self. I built a GL-3 loomis last year and it cost me 120 for all the parts. I then priced the same rod at sportsman and cabelas for 200. the price can vary on blanks from 20 to 200 and more. it just depends on what you want. I've been building quite a few Cabelas Fish Eagle blanks lately. they just about compare to the loomis blanks for lots more cheaper. you can build one of these for about 60 to 80 and even cheaper just depends on what you want.
later chuck
[signature]
LIKES THE LOOMIS FISHEY...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Chuck, I have seen pics of the "spiral wrapped" guides on casting rods, but have never tried one for my own self. How do they fish? Any problem with torque?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Pat,

well to tell you the truth, I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
I've gave it a pretty good bending test and it seems ok. I talked to a few guys on the mud hole site and they say to put that first guide
(closes to the reel) straight in line as normal and off set the next 3 guides. I does seem weird to see the guides like that when the rod is bending. it should make for a good vertical jigging rod. I was also wondering about the torque on the side guides but with that first guiide straight in line everything works great. later chuck
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]BearLakeMack is trying to get into rod wrapping too. He sent me the attached pic and asked for my opinion. I have done some research and it seems to be a growing trend.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]From the looks of the rod under load, the placement of the guides is right to avoid any significant torque. I did notice in that pic that they used only one guide on the side and that the first guide was directly on top, with all of the other guides directly on the bottom. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I anticipate that with that design the rod would not cast as well as the standard guide configuration, due to extra friction on the line. But, who knows? I also figure that the design would be best for vertical jigging.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I just got a couple of new blanks and I may try making one of those. After all, if I don't like it, I can have myself change it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Wow, there sure is alot of guides, extra weight I would say. nice looking other then that. with the guides like a spinner is, you don't need that many guides because the line is on the bittom side.
BLM should take a look at this site mudhole.com on that site my name is utaheyes. take a look at the rod photos, there are some beutiful rod designs. later chuck
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I sent BLM over there quite a while ago and he has spent some time in R&D. In fact, I think he just bought some stuff over there to finish some ice rod blanks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good rod builders site.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, you do pretty good work too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]