Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If it was trout they (DWR) would replant....
If a lake was in trouble with the trout numbers they would just replant the trout WELL.... why not do it with the perch?????

Well it was been said before (IF IT IS NOT A TROUT IT IS TRASH FISH) well I for one would like to hear from the DWR on this with out all the BULL......

OK DWR the few or the many would like to hear>>>>>>>>.

[signature]
I can tell you a great guy to get in touch with then:
Craig Schaugaard
He's in the Ogden DWR office, and has clarified multiple points and questions I've asked in seeking information for newspaper articles in XPLORE.
It's worth a shot!
Because I looked through this past year's stocking reports, and while they did stock a very limited number of yellow perch into a couple of lakes, Syracuse pond being one, the majority of warm-water species they stock appear to be bass and bullhead cats.
Good luck with your question!
[signature]
One thing you have to remember is the DWR are made up of university educated people who love to experiment on fish and game! So, to have a species that they can't see growing in a hatchery, that they can't plant into lakes and rivers and then do it again next year, goes against all their training! LOL. You put perch in a lake and you don't have to do anything they just take off. You can't just do that with trout, they can be "managed"!

I think the DRW does a great job in some area but they do experiment with some waters more than I would like to see.
[signature]
[reply]If a lake was in trouble with the trout numbers they would just replant the trout WELL.... why not do it with the perch?????

[/reply]

Because these "dieoffs" are exactly what the lakes need; they are not "in trouble". Without these fish kills, the perch populations would stunt and you end up with the same problem Fish Lake has--lots and lots and lots and lots of little perch with no big ones. These fish kills are good for the lakes because they thin the herd so-to-speak. Because the number of perch has been reduced, the number of large fish will increase.
[signature]
nobody really seems to care about perch, I love them and they make a great meal!!!
[signature]
I totally agree with you wormandbobber. All fish will have a die off at times when nature sais that it is needed. We as anglers don't like it but that's nature. The DWR doesn't raise perch and they have to catch and transplant them where needed. The problem is that the stupid bucket biologists beat the DWR to the punch most of the time. The DWR then has to adjust the waters so that the fish that should be there can survive. That doesn't always work either.
This happened to Pineview a few years ago and it will be a few more years before the perch make a come back there.The drought created a need for the numbers of fish to be reduced and nature took care of it all by herself!
We need to quit second guessing the DWR and the people that know what is best for our waters and learn to live with what we have and be happy we have it.
[signature]
I ask that the DWR leave out the BULL and give us an honest answer and not lie to the rest of us.....

Or is this just YOUR own words or do you like to say things that are wrong .....

Yuba and Deer creek and Jordanelle and Rockport have never stunted by the perch and as far as Pineview goes the Tirgers have handled it....SO now can sum one from the DWR please tell us the truth..... NO LIES ...

[signature]
DKS you learn to live with it... As for me I am tired of lies and miss management by those who just want to make a buck or tell all the others what to do and what they will fish for the biggest bucket people are the DWR so if you don't like it you live with it..........

And lets get sum other fish back in our lakes that every one can fish for ....

[signature]
Deer Creek Reservoir had stunted perch in it for over thirty years. They have been stunted in Rockport but are finally getting enough pressure now to help solve that problem. Yuba has it's own problems with perch size and numbers. And Jordanelle hasn't been around long enough to suffer a stunting problem. Not yet at least. Most of the perch that I've seen caught there are in the 5 inch "dink" class.

And one of the biggest problems with planting and rearing perch is the manner in which they spawn. They don't cooperate like trout do by allowing humans to strip their eggs and fertilize them. They require entirely different types of hatcheries. So one of the problems is: "Why spend the millions of dollars to build a hatchery for perch that would only get used once in a while. After all, it only took a few perch in Fish Lake to start a population that seems to have no bounds. Same with Mantua, Starvation, Jordanelle, and everywhere else the bucket biologists have planted them. You might need a few thousand of them one year, and nothing for 5 to 10 years. What would you do with the "perch" hatchery during those years that they didn't need to be planted?

I'm all for having diversity in our fisheries, but I'm getting tired of the bucket biologists who make it so I have to drive a hundred miles to get away from a fishery that has millions of dinky perch. And think of the money that could go towards a warm water hatchery, or even buying perch from another state, if the DWR didn't have to change their plans for every body of water that the bucket biologists contaminate. Sometime it would be nice to have a fishery that would be left alone by the people who think that they know more than the professionals.

Fishrmn
Basserdude -- Yuba and Deer Creek are not good examples to use. Yuba is a bathtub with very little cover for perch. This means they are extremely easy targets for a voracious predator (Walleye). Their numbers are kept in check by this predator. Deer Creek is pretty much the same situation. Sure, it has lots of rocky structure, but no cover like Fish Lake:

Fish Lake has it's own nuisance species (eurasion watermillfoil). This aquatic vegetation has provided the perfect cover for the perch to escape predation from larger predators. The perch wiped out he chub population in Fish Lake, which was the Lake Trout's primary food source. Once the chubs were gone, the Lake trout switched to rainbow trout for forage, leaving the perch without a predator to control their numbers. This means certain overpopulation, which is in full effect in Fish Lake.

If you truly want an answer to your concerns with perch management in Utah from the DWR, then you are looking in the wrong place. It sounds like the majority of your concerns are in the Central Region. I can get you the phone number of the Central Region offices if you would like. You should call them and talk with them directly. Please, let us all know how the conversation goes.
[signature]
I DISSAGREE WITH NOT BUILDING A DIFFERNT KIND OF HATCHERY. FOR THE EXCESS FISH COULD BE TRADED TO OTHER STATES OR SOLD TO THEM. JUST LIKE SLIMERS!!! IT COULD ASLO BE USED FOR ENDANGERED FISH. CHUBS OR WHAT HAVE YOU. A CHUB HATCHERY IS WHAT STARVATION DESERVES TO REASTBLISH ITS CHUB POPULATION WITH SOME 5YR OLD CHUBS TO REPLACE THE OLD TIRED ONES IT POSSESES. MANY DIFFERNT RPOBLEMS COULD BE HANDLED IF NOT FIXED FOREVER!! NOW COULD YOU EXPLAIN WHY WE SHOULD NOT ASSIST ALL FISH HERE IN THE STATE AND NOT CREATE MOORE MONEY FOR THIS STATE? I SURE CAN NOT SEE ANY GOOD REASON TO NOT...
[signature]
no big perch in fishlake?

that one was cought last year by me.. and we cought about 10 that size on the same day..
[signature]
The perch in Deer Creek have not been stunted for thirty years.
In the mid to late 1980's Deer Creek was a good perch fishery!
The problem with the DWR is not necessarily thier doing. They try to do what the majority of the people want, and in the past the people wanted to catch a limit of fish,and the Rainbow fit that bill.
[signature]
i have been fishing deer creek a ton the last few years. its great! i have been taking my grandpa with me fishing there. he fished it really hard during the 60's and 70's. he stopped fishing it because of the perch. he says that he couldnt even troll without hooking the little buggers. over population of perch is why the dwr introduced walleye isnt it? and because of the walleye the dwr now plants larger rainbows, right? anyone that has fished deer creek in the last few years can see that the dwr is doing a great job.

i would say that if you like to fish for perch, which i do occasionally, then you should expect fishing to be "boom and bust". and if you are unhappy with the fishing close by, then go to fish lake. fuzzy- that thing is huge.
[signature]
I DONT THINK YOUR INFO IS RIGHT. THE WALLEYES WERE A BUCKET TRANSPLANT. OLD RON. THEY CAME FROM UT LAKE. THE GUYS CAUGHT THEM AT THE BUBLE UP AND MADE THE DRIVE HOME JUST HAPPEND THAT DC IS ON THEIR WAY TO HOME. AND THEY SAID THEY WERE TIRED OF HAVING TO DRIVE DOWN TO U,L. THIS WAS IN THE LATE 70S AND BY THE LATE 80,S SOME REAL HOGS STARTED SHOWING UP. THE STATE RECORD IS FROM THE PROVO BY THE CHARLSTON BRIDGE DURRING THE SPAWN. DWR IS NOT TO CREDIT FOR DC.
[signature]
Nice perch fuzzy
[signature]
thats interesting to know about how the walleye got in deer creek. youre right- i didnt know that. i guess ive been giving the dwr more credit than they deserve. i still maintain that through putting larger bows into deer creek they are doing a great job. this is an example of what someone said earlier on the post- the dwr has a very challenging role to play. they have to be able to adjust to accomadate the majorities wishes, natures cycles, and then on top of all of that- bucket biologists. i think all of us have ideas that we would impliment in order to maximize our own fishing preferences. i would like to see larger bows planted in strawberry to help the survival rate. but, i think it is important that we all just share our ideas and then let the dwr do the implementing. im not a biologist.
[signature]
They were stunted for thirty years. That ended when the UDWR allowed icefishing, and someone planted walleyes. That thinned the numbers, and the lack of structure for spawning caused the numbers to plummet. If you ever fished Deer Creek from the 60's through the 90's you would know what I mean.

Fishrmn
Well jeewhiz...I've fished Deer Creek since the 60's and I've always caught perch in the 10" to 12" class. In fact I remember the first year icefishing was allowed and people were taking them out by the 5 gallon bucket fulls...all nice big fat perch.

The same was true with Yuba...in fact the first state record perch came out of Deer Creek...subsequent years they came out of Yuba.

In the early 80's I watched a truckload of walleye 4-6 inches long being dumped into Deer Creek by the then named Utah Fish & Game Department. They picked up any floaters so the fisherman wouldn't see them. I was told at that time this was the third planting in about the same number of years.

And how many of you know that we already have a warm water hatchery down by Big Water next to Lake Powell. The DWR only uses it for Tiger Muskies at specific times. I don't know if they use it for other warm water fish, but it was originally refurbished when they were raising smallmouth to plant Lake Powell. It's an unused resource to raising warm water fish. The Utah Bass Federation raised a significant amount of money to have it refurbushed for the raising of bass.

I find it interesting how the DWR will not acknowledge the warm water fish popularity in this state...and continue to dump their efforts into the raising of cutthroats who are notorious for aggressiveness. Yet the fishermen complain they wish the rainbows would make a comeback in Strawberry.

The rainbows in Yuba are growing fat and sassy because of the fat head minnows. It's a known fact that bass, perch, walleye, northerns and trout can co-exist if there is an ample forage base of several different types on minnows for them. A viable fishery can't depend on the perch being the fodder for both the predators and the fisherman.

The predators eat the small perch...the fishermen keep the biggest ones...so you're always going to look like you have a stunted class of fish.

A 12 inch perch is a monster and can be over 6 years old.

Nice perch, Fuzzy...it didn't look stunted to me.

How many years has perch been in fish lake anyway? 10 years? More...less??? Less may account for why we'll be seeing larger perch. It may take them longer to grow in that lake.
[signature]
Funny you would say the Fish and Game planted walleye in Deer Creek . I Remember talking to a old timer about fishing once on the Provo River and he claimed to have seen the Fish and Game planting the walleye too . I for a long time always thought that was the case until I heard stories of bucket biology was the problem for the eyes . Any of you ever read the book the Fish and Game put out in the 60's . It was quite a good read and you would be amazed at the stuff they did back then . I had a friend that had a copy . I wish I had a copy of it now . DWR sure has changed its ways since then .

Yes , I was aware of the fish hatchery you are talking about .

Now on the question about Fish Lake and perch . I just looked at a 1988 Utah Proc I still have and it says fishing with dead perch or parts is allowed so they have been in there for at least 19 years .
[signature]