Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glow goodies
[cool][#0000ff]In the past I have posted up a lot of stuff about basic pouring and painting...including adding eyes, glitter and all that fancy stuff. Recently, I have been on a quest to find the best stuff for adding glow in the dark to jigs and other lures. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been trying different kinds of paints for several years. I have still not found any that work well all the time, or give off a true color glow. Most glow paints still glow pale green, no matter what color the dried paint looks like in daylight.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About two years ago, I discovered a glow powder, made of a new material. Most of the glow powders and paints up until then were made of zinc sulfide, with copper as the activator. The stuff I got to try from Extreme Glow is made of strontium aluminate, with europium as the activator. It is about 10 times brighter and lasts much longer. It costs more, but goes further. It only takes a little bit in some clear vinyl jig paint to "glow up" a batch of jigs.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Here is a [url "http://extremeglow.com/"]LINK TO THE WEBSITE[/url]. They have lots of glow goodies. I also tried some of their glow paints, but do not like them. Other than the green glow, they do not work well. (See the attached pic). One thing I do like, besides the glow powder, is the glow sheeting. I bought a 12"X12" piece for only $1.50. That stuff is killer. With a very short blast from my office spotlight, it lights up in the dark and stays bright green for hours.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[url "http://www.extremeglow.com/Merchant4/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GP&Category_Code=GP"][Image: glowpowderpound.jpg][/url]
Extreme Glow Powder...Green & Blue

[url "http://www.extremeglow.com/Merchant4/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SHEETG&Category_Code=SHEET"][Image: peelandscissors.jpg][/url]
Glow Sheeting

[url "http://www.extremeglow.com/Merchant4/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1W&Category_Code=ALLSTICKS"][Image: 112hand.gif][/url]
Glow Sticks
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching several pics and a 7 page writeup on making glow painted stuff, and how to use the different glow items. One of the other sites that has some good glow items is [url "http://www.glowinc.com/"]GLOW INC.[/url] (link). [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have just finished making up a bunch of new glow ice jigs. I am also attaching pics of some of those. The ones I make with the green glow powder, from Extreme Glow, all glow the same bright green color, regardless of how I color and glitter the heads. But man, they do light up after only a short charge of light, and they really do last a long time. I sometimes go into my "tackletorium" early in the morning, while it is still dark, and my jig heads are still glowing from the night before.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
those look good Pat. i need to get my glow jigs made just have a hard time getting the glow vinyl paint to cover.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I gave up on the ready made glow vinyl paints. They just do not do a very good job. We need to get together so I can show you how well that powder works, and how easy it is to work with.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
sounds good maybe after the holidays are over.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Ho Ho Ho. Havagoodun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Might be worth doing a jig party on glow stuff...and glittering.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Try to plan it when there is not a blizzard.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
If there's room for one more I'd like to join in on that fellas! I use glow almost exclusively during ice season. Happy Holidays[Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]....Orrrr...if you are ever down in the Salt Lake area, let me know. You are always welcome to stop by and do some one on one.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
youve compiled a great resorce here on glow's. one I think every angler sould copy and put in their scrap book for later use.

I have done a minute experimentation with glow in the dark stuff, mostly powders.

the stuff I use is for heated applications "magic dust" but I have added it to a couple different mediums with a fair amount of success, granted I only use the yellow green color.

the mediums I chose to use my powder with is clear fingernail enamal, shoe goo, and foxy poxy.

each has provided me with satifactory results. but the fingernail polish with its thin application allowed me to trick out most any of my ice jigs. My crappie bite has never been better....

I use one of those 5 dollar flashers when I remember to put in new batteries other wise I use my lantern, fishing pre dawn and sunset is when I use my glow jigs most. or if I am fishing deap where the light dosnt get through the ice to reflect off my lures...
[signature]
[cool]Those look awesome, Sensai JigDude (I mean TubeDude)!! I haven't read the whole writeup yet, but hope to tomorrow night. Got it saved though!

Bet you can't wait to use these bad boys to get your revenge on Pelican this year, eh? CBR, Bassrods, BassAckward, and I think Polokid are all headed out there Monday (26th). I'm looking forward to their report. Unfortunitely I'll be working, wishing I was there. I'm getting a nice fishfinder in a few days. Either an Eagle Fishmark 320 or 480, or Humingbird 565. Not sure which yet, but can't wait to try it out soon in my persuits of fishies. I think I'll be a little more successful this year rather than fishing blind like in the past. Wanna hit Pelican together sometime in the next month or two or perhaps Mantua (NorthEast side this time)?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, glow is always good below the ice, but it gets even better as the ice thickens and the snow cover grows. When the light levels drop, that glow really helps call in the fishies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I definitely have Pelican in my sights for sometime in January. Might be hitting Mantua once before the end of the year. I have some new weightless ice flies (in glow) that I want to try on a "drop shot" rig. I used to do very well with that, especially in deeper water with a light bite. You get all of the advantages of fishing small and light, but have some weight at the end to help you maintain "touch", and to help register those little "tick" takes. I'll shoot some pics and post a report on those too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'll say, under the ice is where I use my fingernail polish aplication most. one or two coats is all it takes on the the barb side of my jigs.

My spoons I use the heated powder or adheisive decals.

on my plugs and crank baits, I use the epoxy compound for longer life. It evens gives a little more life on those dryrotted lures I pick up off the sides of pusshes and under rocks. I fix them and use them or give them to the kids....
[signature]
If you really want to crank up the glow, buy a UV flashlight. It will do in 5 seconds, what a flashlight will in 3 hours.
[signature]