Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Trout Fishing with Capt Jim Williams of Creative Fishing
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]IFG and I arrived in Manila Friday evening in anticipation of chasing Flaming Gorge's giant lake trout. We had booked this trip several months in advance with Capt Jim Williams hoping to fish with one of Flaming Gorge's premier guides.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We had reservations at the Villa Inn and arrived at the Villa Restaurant to check in around 6:30 pm. We drove back up to our room, dropped off our luggage and then went down for a little dinner before retiring to a good night's rest.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We were to meet Captain Jim at the ramp around 7:45 am. We arrived a little early and we ran into fishley, his dad and another fellow as they prepped their boat. It was good meeting you, Ashley. How did you guys do on Saturday?[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Captain Jim arrived on time and quickly got the boat launched and ready to go. The ramp was snowy but usable without chains. The temperature was in low double digits, a bit breezy and snowy and fog rolled across the water as the warmer water met the cooler air. We headed out, ready to try and put a hurtin' on some macks.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Captain Jim showed us his technique for hook sets and how he wanted us to handle our rods. I was surprise to see short, fairly stout rods equipped with Shimano Calcutta reels. Being used to fishing with longer rods, the shorter rods felt a little different. As Jim showed us his presentation and hook set technique, I could see why his equipment was set up like it was. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We started fishing after Jim scanned the bottom for fish. We fished through out the day jigging the bottom trying to land fish. Both IFG and I had our problems getting a hook into the quick, light strikes. I still find it amazing how light those large fish can hit. Around mid day IFG hooked up on a 15 pounds to break the ice. We moved around getting a couple more hits but no more fish. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]With about two hours left in a long day of fishing, the fish were being moody with a few hit and misses and only one boated fish. Jim decided to switch tactics and very quickly IFG hooked up on his second fish, a nice 23 pounder. Unfortunately, the fish provided no fight at all and came right to the boat. Heres IFG's 23 pound fish.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black][inline ifg_23.jpg] [/black][/size][/font][/center]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We continued the same technique and shortly after I got hit, was briefly hooked up and disappointedly, lost my second fish of the day. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]As the day dwindled away, IFG hooked up one last time and nailed a nice 28 pound mack. What was funny, well to me and Jim at least, IFG made his hook set while sitting on the cooler but fell off the cooler on to the floor of the boat from the momentum. He managed to keep the rod up and kept tension on the fish through the fall and recovery and fought the fish for about 10 minutes before the fish was photographed and released. Here the best fish we caught all weekend.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black][inline ifg_28.jpg][/black][/size][/font][/center]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]That ended our day on a big note. We were both tired, physically and mentally exhausted from some of the most demanding, intense fishing we'd ever done. Our backs were knotted up and hurting' from the long day of fishing and holding our rods in the jigging position. We started the day just before 8:00 am and finished about 5:00 pm with no breaks.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The next day was more of the same. Jim had to chain up the truck to launch. It had snowed about 2-3" and the ice on the ramp was slick.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black][inline Icy_Launch.jpg][/black][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We again fished long and hard. We ended the second day with two boated fish, both about 10-12 lbs and several missed hits. Both IFG and I have decided we basically suck and need lots more practice at hooking these fish![/size][/black][/font][/left] [left] [/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Fishing with Jim was amazing. The man knows his business. We were very impressed with his work ethic and his determination to get his clients on fish. He fishes hard and expects his clients to give it their all too. If you're not absolutely physically exhausted and mentally drained by the end of the day you're not doing it right. Both IFG and I hardily endorse a trip with Jim. Thanks Jim for the great trip. We definitely are coming back![/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black][inline Capt_Jim.JPG] [/black][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Captain Jim Williams[/size][/black][/font][/center]
[signature]
Nice report Rich, from the sound of it you and Scott learned some new tricks. Do you think any of Jim's methods can be used with success at Bear Lake?
[signature]
Nice macs IFG !

You guys got some good advice and with your expertise and determination I know you will keep building on it. More big macs will be caught. Great pics and great report.
[signature]
i feel for ya BLM.[sly] i had the same problem last weekend.. it's hard to belive that a fish that big can hit so lite..
i thought i was the swing and miss guy around here.. lol [Tongue]
welcome to the club man..
[signature]
Nice report BLM awesome fish IFG
[signature]
Yeah those little fellers can humble a guy in a heart beat! Better luck next time Rich.

Hey Scott,, way ta,,,
[signature]
nice report BLM, those are some nice fish IFG
better luck on your next trip after those big guys
[signature]
Ive gotta painter buddy that fishes the gorge thata way...grueling to say the least...were gonna head up their, someday..yup. BLM your gonna need to remember that when your perch fishen and you put the hook to one you'll flip it clean across the ice if your not carefull?..[shocked]
[signature]
Sounds like a very educational experience! It's too bad more big dawgs didn't want to come outside and play! Those are some great pics though. I would have paid money to see Scott take a header and still manage to keep the fish on!
[signature]
Great report and excellent fish! Sure is discouraging hearing these reports from more experienced mack fishermen that can't hook up.

Any signs of ice up that direction yet?
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Nice report, nice pics, and glad you got a great opertunity to learn Jim's technique. Now to go back and practice what you learned.[/black][/font][/size]
[signature]
Great pix and report! Lots of fun, it appears.
One thing about Jim Williams however: be 110% SURE that nothing is going to happen in any facet of your life that might cause you to have to cancel. This guy is totally unforgiving, and will keep your down payment - no further discussion.
He kept $200 of mine when family illness kept my wife and I from making our trip.
I'm sure he knows his stuff, but he's cold, man!
[signature]
Hey Blm,Ifg

Great to meet you guy's ya we had a slow day allso the w was killing use but we did maneage to boat 7 before we said to heck with it thay were all pup's too dink's the biggest was only 25lbs the pup's all ran about the same 12-15lbs,that had to have been the coldest I have ever been on that lake for some reason man was I cold well glad you got in to a few eny how told ya you would ,that is one thing you will lurn about the gorge in a hurry one day you can do em real good the next day you may as well stay home with moma,that full moon was against ya from the start I hate a full moon but that is just me.ya how ya like the bit it's not what people thinkLOLit's a lot like a flea useing your rod as a spring board in some case's thay will smack ya hard but that's about one out of twenty it seem's. were you guy's fishing deep the active fish seemed to be way shallow like 50-60ft saw you in the honey hole and in the glade's then back to linwood some day's a lot of moveing and finding wild fish is the only way you will catch them it's a hunt from the start,congrat's on some desent fish and hope to see ya up hear again,maybe on the hard top unless we can keep it broke up.LOL coldfooter dont kill me if I brake up a little ice for the next few week's lol
[signature]
Hey I forgot to tell ya dont feel bad about the swing and miss it is becouse the fish hit the jig head first no hook on the head of swimmer's or tube's but it is natural for fish to hit the bait head first then come back around and inhalle it some time's, mostly if ya swing and miss thay are gone move on to fresh fish, to aften people sit over educated fish and wonder what thay are doing wrong there is to much water to be fishing were the fish arent active.
[signature]
[reply]
[red][size 3]Nice fish guys!!! Is it a little like ice fishing from a boat???[/size][/red] [red][size 3][/size][/red] [red][size 3]Looks cold, but worth it!
[/size][/red]
[signature]
you can try reporting that too the us forest circius and see what can happen becouse thay get a percent of that money from what i understand that is sickining to think a guy would be like that ok I'am done I need no more problem's with the guy.
[signature]
If ya so much and breathe on that cap your dead where ya stand,, LMAO! [laugh]
[signature]
Uinta ice, Thats too bad that you lost some cash due to your misfortunate family event.

But I wouldnt hold it against jim.

I dont know the guy, never have met or fished with him.
I have no reason to stand up for him other than the no refund policy seems to be quite common.

Sure it would be nice if a guy would understand and give you your money back, but most of these guides have already tied up money in the trip in preparations like fuel and such plus they have turned down other bookings that they could have made money on.

From what I have seen its quite common for a guide service to not refund your deposit for a canceled trip.

Maybee its not the best way to do buisness but I woldnt single one guy out for something that is the standard operating proceddure of many many guide services.

Now, BLM its nice to see someone finally put the nails to you.
I tell you what having fished with BLM on the gorge for days on end chasing the big macks, I can tell you the guy doesnt give up easy. He wore me out. Its nice to see that someone finally wore you out.

I just want you to remember on the trip we went on, I guided you onto a 33 lb laker. And I didnt charge you a thing, or work your butt off. Plus I even provided a smallmoth dinner.
Now quit praising this jim williams and start praising me![angelic]
[signature]
My friend is a captain and guides out of manila. He went fishing with Jim one day just to see how he does it and get some insight into jigging guiding. He said the same thing about Jim. Intense and hard to do all day long. It was raining and cold when they went wit him. He guides trolling for the macks. He says it wasn't that much fun to jig so intense. But to each his own. My friend has a cab with heat and you just troll till you hook up. A lot of fun and he guarantees a big fish. One over 28 inches. I like to fish to much to make it a chore. Sounds like you had a real work out.
[signature]
ITS THE WAY IT GOES. THATS WHY THE RULES ARE POSTED ON THE WEB SITE. NO EXCEPTIONS. I WOULD NOT HAVE EVEN ASKED FOR A REFUND. PUT YOUR SELF IN HIS SHOES. JIM IS SUPER NICE BUT FIRM ON RUNNING BUISNESS. NO DIFFERNT THAN I . I TAKE DEPOSITS ON AUTO,S AT MY JOB. IF SOMEONE PUTS A DEP ITS NONE REFUNDABLE PERIOD. AND MINE ARE 500 DALLORS. COMMITMENT IS COMMITMENT. HOW WOULD YA FEEL IF YOU SHOWED UP AND JIM DOUBLE BOOKED YA AND TOOK THE OTHER GUYS INSTED. AND GAVE BACK THE 200 AND LEFT YOU STANDING ON THE RAMP. NOW BACK TO BLM MAN YOU GUYS GOT TO FISH ALL DAY. WE ONLY FISHED TILL 2.30. THATS WHEN THE BITE STOPS IN JULY. THOSE FISH HIT QUICK AND FOCUS MUST BE 100PLUS 1 PERCENT OR YOU MISS THATS IT. AND PRESINTATION IS THE SAME WAY DO IT WRONG AND THEM FISH SCOOT RIGHT OF THE GRAPH. DIDNT YOU LOVE WATCHINGT THOSE REACTIONS BLM. NEET HUGH... HOPE IT DOES FREEZE I LOVE TO PULL ONE OF THEM HOGS THREW A HOLE. BE U GREAT BFT PARTY. ITS FAR ENOUGH THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE WOUNDNT GO BUT US DIE HARDS. BET IT WOULD BE A KILLER TIME BY ALL.
[signature]