Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabelas Kamloops Pontube?
Just wondering if anyone on this forum has seen or used the Cabela's Kamloops Pontube? I posted this on my personal float tubing forum, but, have had no reesponses yet. Anyone here like to help out?

[url "http://tubintimes.mywowbb.com"]http://tubintimes.mywowbb.com[/url]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is a new craft in their lineup. Hasn't been out long enough to generate any reviews. [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431&id=0030035317968a&navCount=1&podId=0030035&parentId=cat360010&navAction=push&catalogCode=IF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat360010&hasJS=true"]LINK TO CABELAS INFO[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They do not list some of the important details, like size of the air chambers and weight rating. From the picture, I am guessing that the air chambers are smaller than either a Fat Cat or Fish Cat...with a weight capacity of 250 to 275 pounds. The big pockets look good, as does the full backrest. Not sure I like the stripping "basket". I prefer an apron.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At $199, it is priced between the ODC 420 and the Fat Cat, but it is probably closer in value to the lower priced Fish Cats. It is constructed of sturdy materials (heavy nylon fabric and PVC bottom), but they do not tell what kind of air chamber(s) are provided.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All in all, it looks like a decent craft, but I am not sure it is priced competitively with some of the other similar rides on the market.[/#0000ff]
[Image: i317968hz04.jpg]
[signature]
TubeDude:

Cabela's claims the Kamloops is rated for 325#, but looking at it I'm skeptical. Here is a link to a comparison chart from Cabela's showing specs on all of their tubes:

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/compchart/comp-chart.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/product/display-hyperlinks-moreinfo.jsp_A&_DAV=false&backLink=/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jsp%3F_DARGS%3D/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A%26_DAV%3DMainCatcat20431%26id%3D0030035317968a%26navCount%3D1%26podId%3D0030035%26parentId%3Dcat360010%26navAction%3Dpush%26catalogCode%3DIF%26rid%3D%26parentType%3Dindex%26indexId%3Dcat360010%26hasJS%3Dtrue%26_requestid%3D13340%26cmCat%3Dcchart_float_tubes&chartName=float_tubes&filterName=current&backTitle=Cabela's+Kamloops+Float+Tube&hasJS=true"]Cabela's Tube Spec Chart[/url]
[signature]
TubeDude and OldJigHead: Here is another link that may be of interest. [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/product_features/photos/images/pf_kamloops_lg.wmv"]Link to Kamloops Video[/url]

It's a video from Cabela's showing the Kamloops on the water. It kind of confirms my suspician about the weight rating. The guy in the video does not apear to be as big as me (6'3" 260) and he is sitting awfully low in the water.
[signature]
Just looking and listening to the video I see two things of concern. Understand that I have never seen one of these in person, much less driven one on the water, so these are just my musings. The two issues of concern:

1. The "low profile sides that reduce wind drift"

I wonder if these might work against you on a windy, wavy day by allowing water to splash over the sides and onto/into your person. Only test driving one in the wind or hearing the comments of someone who has would put me to ease. (I know that it is sometimes said, "Well then stay out of the wind! Its a float tube, not the Queen Mary." Unfortunately, if you're out there on the water on a relatively calm day and the wind comes up, your stuck. Besides, in some of the places I fish, "Stay out of the wind" is synonymous to "Stay home and don't fish.)

2. The "sealed air cell seat."

We've talked some on this forum about this liability in the Super Fat Cat. Tubedude has reported on his frustration with having to repair pinhole leaks in the air seat on his SFC yet needing to inflate it with sufficient firmness so that the sides don't collapse inwardly. Comfort issues aside, I think I prefer a foam seat or even a rigid seat (like on the Venture Outdoors Echo) over an air filled one that could spring a leak.

Just my random thoughts. Delete 'em if you like. If you like the boat, go for it, and report back as to whether it was a good choice.[cool]

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the links. Good stuff and very helpful in making comparisons.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After watching the video a couple of times, I (like Zonker) have some "issues". First of all, the craft is very obviously made with the fly rodder in mind. Good for that group, but not for the rest of us. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Okay idea on the stripping basket, but I have always preferred facing forward and dropping the line straight down. It is apparent that the guy in the video prefers that too. At the end of the video, there he is stripping his line into his lap, not even using the stripping basket. Credibility??? Nope.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am also 6'3" and too far over 250 to feel properly floated in something rated below 300 pounds. Their "low profile" is not a selling point to me. Like Z, I want some altitude and protection against splashes and ripples. When the "light breezes" common to western fishing come up, I do not let the wind hit me from the side anyway. I point the bow into the wind and position myself to fish downwind...letting the wind help my casting and not hinder it. Then, when it gets too windy to fish at all, I'm outta there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] My visual impression is that the Kamloops has very thin air chambers at the pointed bow/stern. I know they are thinner than at that point on my SFC. The guy in the video appeared to be able to almost sink the back of his craft while maneuvering around. I am wondering what would happen if I leaned back to set the hook on a biggun and there was not enough floatation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The other aspect of "low profile" that comes to mind is reduced propulsion while kicking. Typically, the higher you ride, with the less of you and your craft below the waterline, the faster you can move with less effort.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That was what constituted both the major advantage and diSadvantage of the Kennebec I jockeyed for over a year. The big long pontoons had a lot of floatation, and rode high on the water. That made for efficient kicking but became a liability in the wind. The rounded ends on those pontoons did not aid in tracking when you wanted to position yourself in a breeze. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, I guess it is a tradeoff. You either go for the low profile, as a hedge against the potential for wind...giving up propulsion efficiency...or you go high and dry for more floatation and speed, but sacrifice control in the wind.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks again KK for the enlightenment.[/#0000ff]
[signature]