Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snowshoeing
I have a pair of pre-owned snow shoes, but I've never used them. Any good suggestons on where to go snowshoeing? Thanks in advance for your input.
[signature]
This warm weather has made the snow a little rough, but my boss really likes going up by Snowbasin. I've never been, but it might be worth it if you live close by.
[signature]
I enjoy snowshoeing very much. I don't know where you live but the Mirror Lake Highway is quite close to most of the Wasatch front and is one of my favorite places to go. It is higher and usually has better snow than low on the front like Mill Creek Canyon and is less crowded. The cross country trail from Slate Creek to the North fork of the Provo is a level trail and is sometimes groomed. You can park at the Slate creek trailhead or at the snowmobile parking lot at the Noth Fork and go either direction. You can also use the slate creek trail (accross the road) or the yellow pine trail. From this (cross country) trail you can also go up the Taylors fork ATV trail(s) they are streeper and a little more challanging. But my favorite place is the Shingle Creek trail but shsssssssss don't tell anyone! The road is closed at Soapstone for snowmobiling but if you combine smowmobiling with snowshoeing you can access a lot more trails even higher. Stop at the Kamas ranger station for more information. Good luck and enjoy.
[signature]
Hey bioman I don't know your background but I would recommend an avalance safety course and using the buddy system. If you go alone, stay on slopes 30 degrees or less. If you go with a buddy, wear beacons and know how to use them and check the avalanche reports. The aspen grove/ timpanogos wilderness area claimed another victim yesterday (he was snowshoeing and caused a slide). Not trying to discourage you in any way-- I used to snowboard in the backcountry quite a bit-- but just be safe.[cool]
[signature]
[url "http://www.snowshoeingmag.com"]www.snowshoeingmag.com[/url] used to have a great forum section, but it got hacked. They say that they are working on getting it back up and running, so watch for that in the future.
[signature]