Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accuracy of fishing calendars
I was wondering if anybody here could tell me whether or not those fishing calendars that tell you how good each days fishing should be are accurate. I noticed that different publishers use more generalities than others, such as saying "best fishing" instead of "best fishing- morning/night". Also there are differences with dates on some as well. How are these derived? What have your guys experiences been?
[signature]
Some peaple swear by them. Me, I tried to see if the catch for the day happened during their peak times and found I got fish any other time than stated. I do believe the moon does play a part. I think full moon in salt water produces better but haven't found the phases to work on fresh water. Water temp,weather seemed to better tell me what the fishing is going to be that day. Last year we fished VT and it rained like mad Monday morning. Only stayed till 10:30 but boated 10 bass a piece, Tuesday was a beutiful day out and we could hardly boat 10 bass for the whole day combined. Give it a try this season and see if it works for you. Maybe the fish gods are playing with me.[crazy]
[signature]
Fish calenders are a bunch of crap. If you really want something that is going to help you out down the road, start yourself a fishing journal. Throughout your fishing trips, pay attention to the variables and your success and then record it at the end of the day. Many fisherman, like myself, go into great detail. Date, air temp, water temp, GPS location, barometric pressure, bait/lure, color, moon phase, size, depth, speed(if trolling), time of day, water level, species of fish being targeted and the success rate by which they are being landed via the variables being used. I can scroll back to a day with similar weather conditions and see what tactics I used that day. If those tactics were successful, then 8 times out of 10 I can mirror those tactics and the ending result being another successful day of fishing. Alot of times you won't have an exact day, but I can usually adjust my approach based on the change in variables. Try that and see if it works.
[signature]