Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eleven Mile 1-2-06
Fished 11 Mile at Stoll Mtn. from just after 5:00 AM until about 9:00 AM on January 2nd. Didn't mark any fish until 6:30. Between 6:30 and 7:45 landed 2 chunky 17" rainbows and one just under 16". Missed 1 other fish and broke off 2. Then all went dead for the next 1:45. The wind blew steadily the whole time, but when it really picked up a little after 9:00 I decided to bag it.

Boy are those fish fat and strong. One of the bigger ones must have had 100+ big olive scuds in its stomach. Well worth the drive down.

Effective jigs were shrimpos, ratsos and tiny marabous w/ waxworms in 16' fow.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like fun, Don. Apparently the fish are not lacking for groceries. That puts the weight on, and they are always good and pink when they get those shrimp in their diets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We are still planning on trying to make it over for some springtime pike action. Do you have a "can't miss" time...depending on weather of course?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hi Pat-

I've done best on pike in early June in the mountain lakes. But I haven't fished for them seriously for several years. My favorite wasalways Sanchez Reservoir, but the water level is way down and it may have lost a significant chunk of its pike population. I'm going to see what I can find out.

The old Rocky Mtn Arsenal near the opld Stapleton airport has some enormous pike, too.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]From the time I lived there, about 1 year back in the 80's, I thought I remembered that the pike came into the shallows in April or May. I remember throwing some big spinnerbaits for them in the south end of Cherry Creek and only heard about the big nasties in 11 mile after I moved.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I haven't heard of any pike from Cherry Creek in many years. But it does have some big tiger muskies!

Here's the link for the Rocky Mtn. Arsenal: [url "http://www.fws.gov/rockymountainarsenal/"]http://www.fws.gov/rockymountainarsenal/[/url]

The fishing at RMA is strictly catch & release, no wading, no boats, no flotation devices. Huge bass and pike abound.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'm talkin' early 80's. I realize that most fishing holes change in that time. Just like to take a walk down memory lane sometimes...if I can remember how to find it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]