Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vest vs. chest pack
I had a fly fishing vest for a few years and have now solidly switched over to a chest pack. I wear the chest pack as a fanny pack most of the time (wright & mcgill) and find it comfortable and accessable. So lets hear it: vest, chest pack, or other. What do you prefer and why?
[signature]
[size 1]I use both. I wear my vest if I am not sure which fly will work so I can cary a few more boxes or if I know that I will be wading in deeper water. I have the Orvis safe passage waiste & chest pack combo, which I never wear the fanny pack unless I am going a long distance, but it is great for loading all the boxes I need plus a few reels, then I hook the chest pack on my belt and load it with one box full of flies I know will work, plus extra tippet & strike indicators, and I wear a landyard for floatant, split shot, and tools. I also have the older Orvis safe passage hydration back pack (dark green) which in my opinion was alot nicer than the new ones cause it has mesh pockets on the sides for extra reels, plus all the features of the new one with built in zingers for clippers & forcepts, plus pockets galore and the back part will support two four piece rods plus jacket, lunch, etc. and the water pack. [/size]
[signature]
I just ordered a lanyard from morning star. Do you find them pretty handy?
[signature]
Definitly. And morning Star is a good one with a nice break away so you won't hang yourself. They are one of the most resonable priced ones also. Can you believe the price of some of the other landyards? I ended up making my own, but we sold Mornig Star at Orvis.
[signature]
I use a fanny pack in the summer because my chest pack gets me too hot. It offers no air circulation. On long days I still use a vest because it holds everything I need. I leave the vest open for air.
[signature]
I didn't like my vest, and I don't like wearing my chest pack on my chest. I end up slinging one of the straps on my chest pack under one arm and over my head. I then slide the chest pack to my back to get it out of the way. When I need something from the chest pack I just slide it to my chest. I would like to find a pack that is made specifically for this, is anyone aware of something like that? It seems like William Joseph had something similar.

I just picked up a butt pack that will hold mostly non fishing items like food, knife, compass, and two water bottles. I usually carry my filtration bottle and a canned juice or soda in the two water bottle slots.
[signature]
A vest for me for sure. I am a little like a pack rat so I can't get all I like to take in anything else. The down side is that that kind of vest and gear gets a little heavy and hot.
[signature]
William Joseph did make a bandelaro, so did Orvis, But I don't see them anymore. Too bad I didn't know you a couple of years ago. I sold my WJ for $25. They really are uncomfortable. I don't know what you have but, have you thought about a mesh vest. That is what I always tried to sell my costumers cause you wear it over a coat in the winter and in the summer it's nice and cool. Fishpond makes some real nice COOL gear.
[signature]
I really like using the chest pack the way I do, it's not made for the way I use it so it could be better. I'll have to look around for something I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestions.
[signature]
I have seen several fanny packs that are made for fishing. Some have fly boxes or tackle boxes built into the pack. I use a hunting fanny and it has 7 compartments that hold all my gear for a day on the stream. It doesn't have a place for a water bottle so I just put a frozen bottle in the big compartment on the back. It has worked great for me.
[signature]
Check with William Joseph again. I recently bout a little chest pack and it came with a book (which I no longer have) that should a bandalero in it again. New design
[signature]
Here's the link to WJ. [url "http://www.williamjoseph.net/products.php"]http://www.williamjoseph.net/products.php[/url]
click on the packs.
[signature]
You are really gonna hate this, but we went over to the William Joseph outlet here today and they had the bandelaro there marked down to $39. What a sale, got those WJ nippers for $5., the ultra light chest pack for $3., all weather fishing jacket $69., Mini chest pack for $19. (one with the tippet dispenser in the front), bamboo nets with bend at end for belt $24., stripping basket belts $5.
Needless to say, we went nuts.
[signature]
I made it over there myself today, thanks to someone tipping me off. Great deals, took a break and ran over from work just before they closed.
[signature]
Did you get what you wanted? We picked up a couple of those bamboo nets with the hook at the end, a couple of chest packs, a bunch of the ultre light chest packs & nippers (for B-Day presents) A jacket ($169.) for Pokimon and some other odds and ends. Did you check out the solar mosquito repellars, hook on your zipper. Great buys, about $600.-$700. for $250. and pre presents. All good.
[signature]
I got a net like yours (with the belt hook) one of those small pouches that you can wear around your neck or run a belt through, an 8 led headlamp, and a flask [Wink]. I did grab one of those mosquito repelers-- I've heard from enough people that they really work, so I'm hoping it's not a gimmick. Wish I would have had a little more time in there but I had to get back to work. I guess it's just as well, or I would have spent more $$$ than I should.
[signature]
I already have one of those landyard type folders (paid full price). They are great cause you just have to by patches and load them up with different flies for different waters, and the zinger on the side plus loop for gink make it all around versitile. Can't wait to try the net, put a leash on it so I won't loose it. Another thing we got that we already had was the landing basket belt. We bought two last year for around $39. and they had them yesterday for $5. Oouch! Oh well, they are great and worth the price.
[signature]
any reccomendations for certain fanny packs. I've owned the same one for about nine years, and after all those years of wear and tear from constant fishing trips, I think its about time to retire it. thanks
[signature]
Like I said earlier in the thread, I have a wright and mcgill chest pack (picked it up at Cabelas in the fly shop). It comes with the chest pack harness, or a belt so you can wear it like a fanny pack. I always wear it like a fanny pack. It has alot of cargo room; I usually carry 4 fly boxes, 5 spools of tippet, indicators, shot, spare leaders, floatant, dessicant, rain poncho, spare socks, .45 springfield champion, headlamp, and some jerky (and sometimes the kitchen sink [Wink]).

It comes with two water bottle holders, but I just use one. Very good product. It even has a built in poncho for the pack to keep it dry in the rain.
[signature]
I picked up a camo hunting fanny pack at Sportsman's. They have several to choose from. I like the pack to have a lot of small compartments and a large rear one. Just pick one that fets your needs.
[signature]