Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
deer fat
this year, while cleaning up after butchering deer,i was looking outside where we threw out some fat,and the birds were going nuts on it.i took a couple of store bought suet cake packages,for molds,i took the deer fat and added peanut butter,and put it in the microwave for 2 min.(i recomend that you dont do this,my wife wasn't happy about the smell,the next time i did it outside on the side burner of the grill)when it melted added birdseed,mixed it up,and poured it into the suet molds,and set it outside to harden.for compairason i put out 1 store bought,and 1 homemade.i want througe 2 of my homemade ones before the store bought ones were gone.so i made more,i placed waxed paper between them and put it in freezer bag and keep them in the freezer
[signature]
Your right about the fresh fat going fast. When I trim the fat off of any meat the wifes going to cook, I just put it in the cage and its gone in a day. Store bought is still in there. Wish I had seen Cindys face when you told her what you where doing.LOL [shocked][crazy]
[signature]
she wasn't very happy, i can tell you that!!
[signature]
the birds around my house is spoiled,

just like my dog, even the mice in my house wand cooked foods, they will go for my home made suiet bars but the deer fat straps I layed on the fence 4 years ago are still there, jet black.
[signature]