Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 1-16-05
Hit the Berry today with some buddies from work and family. It was very slow to say the least. We hit Mud Creek, near the mouth wear it starts to open up. We had two kids with us, so we couldn't move much. Set up the shelters and held down the fort. I stayed outside and it was cold and W...y! 6 of caught 20 fish. It was my worst day up there yet. I probably hooked 20 and only iced 5. Weird day, I just couldn't seem to keep a good hookset on them. I was sharpening hooks, getting new ones... I have no clue what was up. This usually isn't a problem, but today I couldn't keep one on to save my life! Fished moved through all day, then stopped around 1 pm. We left around 2:30. Fished 25-33 ft of water, usual jigs, tips with usual stuff. Hardly saw another fish hit the ice and most left early. It was very cold today all around.

F4F
[signature]
Sorry to hear that F4F. How was the ice? Is the slush still frozen up? How much new snow came out of this last one? I think I'll head up there on friday.
[signature]
Everything is frozen solid, ice conditions are optimal IMO. Saw ATV's on the ice, etc. Hardly any new snow up there! I was shocked actually to see maybe a skiff - 2" inches since I was up on there Friday.
[signature]
Geezer and I fished about 1/2 mile south of the mouth of Mud Creek today (mosquito bay). I wouldnt say we slayed them but we twisted plenty of noses up hill and introduced them to open air for a couple moments. All slot Cuts, no bows. We were in the big black shanty and had two snowmobiles..
[signature]
Whats up with the berry? Heck it has slowed down these last few days. All of these slow fishing reports are making me feel better about my slow day over the weekend. They have moved and it could take a little effort to find them.

Coldfooter, did you fish the same area Kent and I was fishing a week ago when we seen you and MeMeMe?
[signature]
MGB- It was definitely my worst day by far this year. It was frustrating. We know they are in there, what to use, same things worked just a couple of days before. I just wonder if the storms, moon, the works, all that aligned?? We were away from the crowds and fished an area I know holds fish too.

Coldfooter- We almost headed there, but only had one sled today (other guy cancelled this morning). Wish I could have made it in that general direction. Was that your vehicle parked at Mud Creek first in the parking lot?
[signature]
[cool]Kirt, that's too bad that it was slow fishin' today, but even though I haven't fished 'da berry much this ice season, I'd have to agree with you that it was slow because of the full moon this weekend, and also the amount of pressure that Mud Creek has received ever since a couple of stud fishermen from this site[Wink] knocked them dead in early December and let the cat outta the bag. I'm thinking that Mosquito Bay is a GREAT alternative to the busy spots around the lake.

Anyway, it was great fishin' with ya the other night and I'm looking forward to the next time!
[signature]
fishin4fun,

Wish I'd have known that was your group over there, I'd have run over to get acquainted. That is if I could have torn myself away from coldfooters fish cam. Gotta tell ya, I can't remember when I got such a kick out of something. Watchin' them cutts come in & worry your offering or look at it & swim off laughing, get pissed & attack the camera along with other assorted antics is about as big a kick in the butt as I've had in a long time. This one big doofus actually tried to get the lens part of the camera in his mouth, I didn't know fish had tonsils but they do. I seen 'em man.

We didn't super slaughter them (I think I iced about 7 or 8 & coldfooter several more than that) but we had a he-- of a time. Missed a lot of them by yanking too quick. It's awful hard to see a fish hit your offering & not yank. The bite was pretty soft today, not the all out attack that sometimes happens. That might be the reason for your hookset problems today.

coldfooters ice palace ain't too shabby either. No worries about the W & nice & toasty. I ordered one of those Harbor Freight cameras & now think I'll have to come up with a house to use it in.

We'll cross paths one of these days. In the meantime keep fishin'4fun. Sure makes life more worthwhile, right?
[signature]
True.. the bite was very light. It's getting crazy how soft the bite is getting up there. I stayed out of the shelter for the kids today and had to rely on my finder for everything in the W... It was hard to notice those light grabs. I think alot were "bumping" it more than biting and I was barely lipping them or something. I can't complain too much. I've had some great days/nights up there, it was just frustrating today. [Tongue]

I really need to see one of those cameras in action!! [Smile]
[signature]
O4T- It was alot of fun the other night. I was glad you guys made it out to experience night fishing up there. We were away from the crowds today. Even though it was Mud Creek, it wasn't normal Mud Creek. It was waaay out there where very few walk and even the ATV's mostly stopped. Only one group went pasted us and I didn't see them catch a fish (could have as I didn't watch that closely). We were planning on going across from the marina, but with a guy cancelling and the threat of W... and the kiddos, we didn't make it. [crazy] Wondering if anyone else hit the Marina area today?
[signature]
Its the full moon effect.

[signature]
[size 2]No Mike we didnt run over and check that spot out. I thought about doing it though but every time things would slow down a tad and we'd think about making a move those pesty Cuts would come strolling right in.. LOL!! I fished the same hole all day, and so did Geese, LOL. Like Geeser said, we hid in the shanty all day, LOL.. We didnt tear em up but we probably ice around 20 before Tom had to scoot at 2.00 and I ice 5 more before I rapped it up around 4.30 and headed for the trailer...

Fishin4fun.. Nope, we parked at the marina.. I drive an old Brown 2 wheel drive Toyota pickup (commonly known as the Turdyota). How was the rode into Mud Creek snow wise, was it plowed and packed down? No doubt about, getting to some of my favorite places would be a crap load faster from Mud Creek. As far as the Cam, man their fun but they'll spoil ya. As I pointed out to Geeser yesterday, I'd rather my offering isnt in view so I dont have so many "a swing and a miss".

Tom.. Glad you managed to step on the head of that skunk even though we only managed to eeked a few out of the pond yesterday.
LOL, yeah that "slight strike swing" the cam creates can be hard to resist cant it? It will sure test a fellers will power, LOL!! As always, it was great sharing the pond with you. Lets do it again soon my friend.[/size]
[signature]
[pirate]Don,

I might need some backup regardin' my veracity to my Princess. I left as planned - right?

When I got around the point & about 300 yd. from the store my auger fell off the sled. Some guy walking bact motioned to me about it. Lucky he did. I turned around & went back to pick it up & while I was reloading it that **^%$####@!!! Polaris quit. I spent about 40 min. trying to get it started, was thinkin' seriously about cutting the fuel line & letting a pool of gas get formed then torchin' the the damn thing. If you'd have looked out in that direction you would have seen a BIG blue cloud of bad words floatin' on the wind.
I deciced that it was really my fault for not bein' sure the gas tank & my can didn't have water in them before filling them just before commiting that final, fatal act. I finally got it to go & got outta there but had to go straright to the mission & meet Mama there. Dunno about around your place but at mine if Mama ain't happy NOBODY gonna be.

Even with all the frustration gettin' off the pond, It was a memorable day & the dust is settlin' at home.
[signature]
CF- The road into Mud Creek was good. A little drifting from the W... but not much else. The plow was stuck (LOL) when we left. Nobody there, just sitting there stuck. I'm sure he wasn't a happy camper. It takes a bit to get them stuck!! [crazy]
[signature]
Crap! Well I can attest you certainly left the shanty as planned. Man it sucks the snowgo gave you grief but I'm glad I didnt see a smoke flowing from cap around the point.. Hey I seen that blue streak floating ski ward but ignored it cause I though it was just some of my leftovers,lol.!! Yeah if anything will bring out those little problems its COLD temps.. Remember my friend,, kick, Dont Burn!! Some think I need to drag along a C-phone for times like this,, maybe their right huh?

Glad you made it to the mission and all,, and,, Good to hear the dust is settlin' too!
[signature]
Yeah it does!
Thanks for the info..
[signature]
[mad]One of the hardest things for me to do is to get mad at an inanimate object. Kicking the da-- thing, or bashing it doesn't cause IT any pain, does you though. That'll make ya madder.

One of the things that put the kibosh on the torch idea was the thought that if it didn't burn bad enough to wipe out the serial #, I'd wind up paying through the nose to get the carcass hauled off.
[signature]