Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the Snake
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]This is a popular fly used on the Snake in Wy. Can you name it?[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14064;][/center]
[signature]
How about, orange and natural hair double humpy?
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Yup - An Orange Double Humpy is correct.[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4]Looking forward to FFishing the Snake again this summer. Just might include a couple of these dudes in my bag.[/size][/#008000][/font][/center]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]What fork/part of the Snake, and what time of year? Different forks have different seasons for different bugs, obviously. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have fished most of the Snake(s) from Island Park and Jackson Wyoming down to below Blackfoot Idaho. Man, talk about a river(s) with lots of different personalities. Everything from skinny meadow water to deep flowing runs to rapids and pockets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My favorite is from PaliSades Dam down to Ririe. Lots of smaller cutts and bows along the banks, on caddis or hoppers. Also some gorilla browns out in the deeper flows on weighted black wooly buggers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4][cool]Hi there TubeDude, One place that I had good success was on the Snake about a ½ mile or so below the tailwater of Jackson Lake. Will be staying a few days at JL Lodge which is about 5 minutes from that spot. Then will move down to Teton Village for another week. Not quite sure where I will wave the fairy wand in that area. Going north in mid July. Any recommendations? Rented a house in TV with the family and 3 dogs. Where I go so goes my Husky. She doesn't fish but is a good companion. Here is a shot of the site. As I was leaving another FFman moved into the area wher I was fishing. There were a few people FF from the banks otherwise one had the whole river to themselves.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14170;]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It's all good up there. Mid July is just after the end of runoff, so water conditions should be good. Also about the time the hoppers start hitting the water. No need to be dainty in July. Terrestrials rule. Often some good yellow caddis hatches.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That stretch of water usually holds lots of nice cutts. They will hit the topwater stuff, or nymphs too. Can't go wrong with the scenery. Even if the fish are slow, the view will keep your eyes busy.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Thanks Pat. The last time I was there was in August. About mid morning the hatch made it look like it was snowing. Matching the hatch didn't prove fruitful. So I went bold and starting to used a Royal Wulff. Looked nothing like the hatch. That did the trick - the cutts really dug that fly. Nothing really big 10 to 12" but a lot of fun and they kept me busy. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I was going to say an Orange Double Humpy as a joke guess. I guess I would have been right, the name seemed so obvious I didn't think that could be right.
[signature]
TD,

The portion below PaliSades to Ririe is part of the South Fork(you propably already new that). I am going to go there over the 4th of Jul. The Salmon flies are usually on somewhere along that stretch of the river. It is a ball if you get into those guys. Problem is that its usually packed with fisherman, but if you get out before the guides you can find some nice sand bars with no one on them yet. But it is still worth the trip. Just the float from Conant to Ririe through the canyon is a beautiful float. Even if the fishing is sub-par.
[signature]
Hey Vegas, that would be a rush. I wouldn't mind floating that stretch myself, just got to find a shuttle, to drop us off and then pick us up. Could happen this year. I also want to try the stretch up by Mack's Inn although I know that there is a stretch that you can't fish but, the beauty of the land would make up fo that.
[signature]
FG, They have people that will take your outfit down to the takeout. But I have a built in service that will take my truck back down for me. You would be more than welcome to tag along. It is a long float so sometimes you have to leave when you just want to cast one more time. We are thinking of doing it in 2 days and campout along the river that would be a hoot. I have never floated the Henrys Fork, down from Mack's but that sure would be fun. Always floated above Ashton. Hummm another idea for my trip. Damn too much water not enough time
[signature]
Fishing below that out of the canyon is also very good and a lot less fisherman. Actually below Idaho Falls down thorugh Schelly and below you have a much better chance of a larger fish.
[signature]
hpb, that is my favorite stretch when I am visiting family and you are right on the size of fish, but, then with 2" stoneflies to feed on, what do you expect.
Heres a funny story, went there last year with my nephew who has a 12' aluminum boat with a 5 horsepower motor (I know you are laughing at this point). He said he had gone back up river with this set up when the river was higher, but, It wasn't going to happen the day we tried. We just stayed in a straight line, but we could skate sideways so we made it to shore (that gravel bed) and he ran back to get his truck, while I fished....what a life.
[signature]
That stretch early in the year is an adrenaline rush tossing large streamers. When I first started floating that area I was a little skeptical of my brothers' tales. But after missing the first very large brownie at the boat because I was day dreaming, I have been hooked on that area ever since. Not much for the scenery but an area that you truly believe your next cast is the one you have been waiting for.
[signature]
True Story!
[signature]