Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Stats
[cool] [font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff][size 3]I attended the meeting of the Stonefly Society last night, where Alan Ward (DWR) made a great presentation on Strawberry. He used some very visual charts, graphs and diagrams to help illustrate the results of the studies done on Da Berry from the “olden days” to the present.[/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]I did not take notes, so my reckymembry will have to do. Hope Dave and Alan will chip in to fill in any blanks or correct any errors in my points below.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]I am also attaching a table, provided by Alan Ward, from one of the slides presented last night. It shows a 2005 diet study on the cutts, and lists the types of items observed in post-mortems conducted on cutts taken in netting surveys. It also projects the total quantities/weight of each of those items, based on estimated cutthroat populations. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Amazingly, even the larger cutts (over 20”) still show a tendency to feed heavily on zooplankton, especially during times of the year when minnows, crawdads or other forage is less available. In the projections, it is estimated that the cutt population (large and small) consumes over 4,000 TONS of zooplankton from Strawberry each year. Overall, that is the single largest food item by weight.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]The invertebrates category includes heavy feeding on crawdads. As the chub and shiner population decreases, there are more and more small (under 3”) ‘dads showing up in the cutts. During the spring midge hatch, there are also a lot of midges in the stomach contents. Combined consumption of all invertebrates is estimated at almost 1,800 TONS last year.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Next on the dietary “hit parade” is chubs. More on them later, but the chart shows that the cutts removed an estimated 63 million chubs from Da Berry last year, for a total weight of about 850 tons. Clearly the cutts are doing the job they were intended to do.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]The next step down on the chart is shiners. They are just about gone from Strawberry, from a massive population just three years ago. Even with a declining population, there were still quite a few found in the cutts, in netting surveys. Estimated 2005 consumption was about 48 tons, just over 8 million of the little morsels.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Cutts are not discriminating. They do not know they are not supposed to eat “the good guys”. So, they also munch small rainbows, cutts and kokes. These are all included under the category of “salmonids”. DWR plants about 3 million a year and the cutts remove about 1.3 million, for a gross weight of about 62 tons. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]“Debris” is a catchall term for all of the “non-food” items found in the fish. This includes sticks, stones, cigarette butts, plastic baits, etc. Much of this occurs during winter or early spring periods when normal food sources are scarce and the fish are foraging more aggressively…taking in whatever they can snarf, nutritious or not. Remember the chat on Yuba rainbows doing the same thing when the minnows moved out? Estimates for Strawberry cutts is that they ate over 300 tons of debris last year.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]The big surprise to some of us was the “mammals” category. Evidently, any mouse or potgut that goes for a swim in cutt-infested waters is just asking for trouble. They consumed over 80 tons of furry critters last year. I guess I will not go tubing with my hairy legs uncovered.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]The following are some points made during the meeting that might be of general interest.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size] [ol] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]The use of cutts to control rough fish is working. The shiners have been almost cleaned out and the chub population is WAY down. In fact, the routine spring sample nettings of chubs are turning up only the larger and older chubs. The little ones are being munched as fast as the bigguns can spawn a new batch.[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]No need to hit the panic button. The cutt population will not crash if the chub numbers get lower. Cutts are opportunistic feeders and quickly change their diets to whatever else is available. It is already evident that crawdads are becoming a greater part of that diet.[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]The slot limit is working in several ways. There are more cutts reaching 3, 4 and 5 years old. That means bigger fish, for rough fish control, and more spawning fish. There were more big fish in the small tributaries last year than in recorded memory. Anglers are also enjoying more and bigger fish.[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]There are no current plans to increase rainbow planting. Even with reduced competition from chubs, the rainbows still have a tough time making a living in Strawberry. There has been discussion of possibly introducing sterile hybrids, like splake or tiger trout, but there is already a problem with many anglers being able to distinguish between rainbows and cutts. DWR is not ready to support a new identification program, but they remain open. No tiger muskies are slated for planting at this time.[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Pelicans have become a serious problem for spawning cutts. They mass in flocks across the mouths of spawning streams and either eat or chase off all the fish trying to get up the tiny trickles. In some cases they have been observed chasing all of the upstream fish clear out of the spawning creeks. Pelicans are capable of catching and swallowing cutts of 20” or more. DWR is likely to solicit volunteer help during the cutt spawn this spring to chase off the pelicans. They are federally protected and cannot be harmed, but they can be discouraged.[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]There are currently cutts in Strawberry over 30 inches and 10 pounds. It is considered highly unlikely that they will develop a “super race” of huge fish, as some have wished. Their maximum age in Da Berry is projected as maybe 7 or 8 years. They enter the “slot” at about 2 years old, and those over the 22” inch slot are 3-4 year old fish. The reason for the slot was to get fish past the 18” size, which is about where they become more piscivorous (fish eating). The slot has made it possible to produce more of the larger fish.[/font][/size][/li][/ol]
[signature]
Pat, thanks for the informative material. Interesting that, according to the table, only cutts between 15 and 20 inches eat mammals. I have noticed the fast decline in the shiners. Is the reason that the shiners decrease more rapidly than the chubs is because the shiners stay "eating size"; whereas, the chubs continue to get larger? Did it peak your interest enough that you might fish Strawberry one of these days (years)?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, I think I have given all of you Strawberry experts plenty of time to rack up some scores before I jump back in and show you how to fish it. I'll have you know that in the "olden days" I was top rod on that lake both with a fairy wand and with spinning tackle. I guess it is now necessary to reassert my eminence.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I love Da Berry, but have not wet a iine there since moving back to Utah in mid 2004. Shameful. Onliest excuse I got is that there is too much water to fish and not enough time. Lousy excuse for not fishing one of the best lakes in the whole country.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There was a lot of discussion on the chubs and shiners last night, and what the various stats meant. It was pointed out that the "ideal" forage size for minnows was under six inches. Since that is about the outside growth range for shiners, they stay vulnerable througout their entire life span. The chubs, on the other hand, are ideal munching size only during their first year or so, and then grow large enough that they are susceptible to predation by only the largest cutts. Once they reach 8"-10", chubs don't have as much to fear.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That does not mean that big cutts don't eat big chubs. There are quite a few recorded cases this past year of cutts larger than 24" barfing up chubs up to 10" long. The bigger cutts are seldom taken by DWR in their nets, however, because the mesh size is only about 2". There are some bigguns that get their toothy jaws entangled in the net and provide specimens for examination.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are some big fish hunters on Strawberry that fish with dead chubs larger than 6". They do not catch as many fish, but they do hang some toads.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another interesting point made by Alan last night was that keeping a biggun is not necessarily bad for the lake. At that end of the size scale, most of those fish are doomed to die during the next spawning cycle anyway. There were lots of large dead fish in the streams after spawning last year. Of course, it is always good to get the spawn of the largest growing fish in the gene pool.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good observation on the chart, regarding the mammal munchers. Alan readily admitted that the sampling was minimal and that the numbers could vary one way or another. I would have suspected that the big fish would also be dining on rodent ragout, but that did not turn up in their netting results.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Up in Montana, the locals used to catch some big bull trout using the skinned out hind quarters of the ground squirrels in the area. What a deal, hunting your bait with a .22. I wonder if that would work in Da Berry. Actually, tubes and grubs (and marabou jigs) work so well anymore, why would anybody want to go to the trouble of messin' with meat?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for all the great information! Who needs notes with a memory like your's?
I wanted to get to the meeting last night, but wasn't able to get away.
There are some real promising things going on at Strawberry. We just need to push the DWR for education to anglers who still go up there and kill every fish they catch, not knowing of limits and the slot.
Thanks again, TubeDude. Excellent work!
[signature]
Because bait can produce bigger fish.

Thanks for the read TD.
[signature]
Tubedude,

You left before I had a chance to say hello, but Thanks for dropping by last night. Feel free to come to the meetings anytime.

As for the 15-18" fish and mammals, I think it's a function of the big fish staying in deeper water and the smaller fish crusing the shorelines. Like TD, I bet some of the big boys eat mice too...
[signature]
[reply]
We just need to push the DWR for education to anglers who still go up there and kill every fish they catch, not knowing of limits and the slot.[/reply]

Uintaice,
Alan said that based on angler surveys 95-98% (depending on the year) of the folks fishing strawberry know of, understand and follow the regulations,with compliance increasing as the regulations become established. The level of support for the regulations (based on 2003 survey data, i think) was around 90%. He also said that he (DWR) didn't think that illegal harvest of fish was a significant problem. This was based on roadblocks and mass enforcement efforts.

L
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thankfully, more and more anglers are coming to realize that Strawberry is no longer a "fish market", and that it is a place to enjoy quality fishing. It is still frustrating to the hard-working DWR folks who put in long hours of sometimes back-breaking physical labor (netting surveys, etc.) that there remains a segment of hardcore harvesters who feel cheated when they can't take home limits for the freezer every time the fish Strawberry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Would you believe that there are still arrests on anglers who are keeping fish inside the slot and profess to not knowing anything about the "new" regulations? Course, I suppose if they could read they would have read the proclamations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Education is needed, but largely wasted on those who make their own rules or choose to ignore the laws because they don't believe in them. The best education for those bozos is the "board of education"...a baseball bat upside the head.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks. I 'preciate the hospitality, and the opportunity to get the real inside info. Too often we get tirades going on how bad Strawberry is and how the DWR is not paying attention, etc. Thankfully, most of this comes from the "freezer fraternity" and not from responsible anglers who recognize a good thing when they fish it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Please continue to post up any meetings you plan to have where similar topics of interest will be discussed.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good Write-up.....They really should throw in a bunch of tiger trout, to see what happens. Anyone who can't tell a Tiger from a Cut, should have their drivers license revoked.
[signature]
[reply]
They really should throw in a bunch of tiger trout, to see what happens. [/reply]

Why? they don't need to, and this would only increase predation on fish that are stocked. I think Roger and Allan have a lot to be excited about. they said the cutts will take care fo the rough fish, and three years later, the data shows they were right.

I'm excited about the possibility of a better rainbow fishery. Hopefully, as the cutts have their slay-fest with the chubs, the rainbows will quitely grow to pig-sized proportions. Looking at Alan's data, about 2 of every three fish stocked avoids predation from the cutties. Getting a cecent shot at a trophy rainbow will requrie folks voluntarily release the 'bows. I know the 'bows are put in to satisfy the catch and keep crowd, but can you imagine if the rainbows grew to the same proportions of the cutts?

A guy can dream, can't he?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'm witchoo on the pig rainbow thing. I made that point last night that there are lots of Berry fans who dearly love to play with the cutties, but secretly lust after a big bow or two. The bows fight harder and are put in there solely to satisfy the lust for fish flesh. So, if you do hang one, you don't have to do pennance if you take it home.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also brought up the "hey now" issue of planting vs predation. DWR plants their 3 million salmonids, but there is natural reproduction both from cutts and kokes that adds to the edible salmonid base. There is no way to tell how many of each makes up the 1.3 million that contribute to the food chain. There is reason to be optimistic that enough are surviving to keep a healthy population, even with cannibalism.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thank you for the great report. It sounds like excellent news regarding the 'Berry. The data on the mammals is suprising. I thought I felt something nibbling on my toe one day when I was tubing up there.[blush][Wink]
[signature]
Thanks Pat for your report.

I am happpy to see the DWR caught the "chub problem" when they did and endoresd the slot limit when they did.I still think time will only tell about there plan to control rough fish in the berry.One thing I did learn that the cutts only live 7-8 years and die when spawning when they are older fish??Is that a genetic thing or age??..
[signature]
Thanks for the notes TubeDude. I wanted to attend the meeting last night but I was stuck at work. Sounds like the DWR biologists are doing an excellent job at the Berry. I liked the idea of the slot from the get go so it's good to hear that it's paying off.
[signature]
TD-
Thanks for the great info and stats. Just more justification for why I love fishing that place. And kudo's to the DWR and Biologist running the program up there!!!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The guys from DWR stated that the Bear Lake Cutts in Bear Lake seem to live to the age of 11 or 12 years. At this point, they are only estimating that those same cutts in Strawberry will not live as long. It has something to do with "faster living and faster growth" accelerating the biological clock. Just like humans. Live hard, die young.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those that die after spawning are merely succumbing to the ravages of age and stress. Many species of fish eat little and sacrifice body nutrients to their eggs or milt during spawning. The older the fish, the less they are able to survive the shock to the system...especially if they have to battle for spawning areas. Most of the stronger cutts should live to spawn several years before they go to that big pond in the sky.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The kokanee, on the other hand, are the "landlocked" variety of the sockeye salmon, of the Pacific northwest. They are true salmon, living several years before spawning and then spawning only once and dying.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The rainbows in Strawberry are "triploids", genetically altered to make them unable to spawn successfully. However, that trait also enables them to grow big and fast, if they get enough groceries. For those who wonder why they do not want the rainbows to spawn, it is because they want to avoid hybridizing with the pure strain cutts. Cuttbows are not nearly as efficient in eating chubs as pure strain Bear Lake Cutts.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
What a bunch of great info Pat! Thanks for regurgitating it all up for our reading pleasure! I personally think the DWR is doing a fantastic job at the Berry. Not everyone will agree, but that is your right. I enjoy the berry, and I hope that one day I can hook into a true "piggy" bow. Trust me, I won't be practicing no catch and release on it either. He'll be livin' large on my wall! Replica schmeplica! And if you don't agree, hey once again, that is your right.[Tongue]
[signature]
Boy, where did you stash the tape recorder, dude? Not much I can add.
Remember when the cutts were long and snakey. No so now, the big boys are girthing up (if that's a real word).
Another interesting thing when you mention the shiners. I noticed that in the '90's and earlier there weren't any in the gill net surveys.

There aren't going to be as much cutts planted this year. Reason is natural production is kicking in.
The number of bows planted will be less, but weight wise they'll be the same. 7" will go in, in hopes of evading the cutts. From the spring to the fall gill netting, those cutts were growing a millimeter per day. Not too bad growth wise.
I don't think any plans for tiger trout are on the table. They considered them but there isn't enough in the hatcheries to even put a drop in the bucket as far as the Berry is concerned. And they don't want to confuse anyone with another fish to recognize.
To make a long story short, the slot limit that so many were worried about and quit fishing Strawberry is working. Back in the good old days the average size of the fish was 15"- 16" (correct me if I'm wrong Pat)
Now it's 18" I think. Not too bad for 3 years of limits and a drought.
Pelicans- like Pat said are a big problem. They found them 4 miles up one of the streams ( Indian Creek I think). Major problem during the spawn. They'll chase and leap frog each other diving for fish. You can harm them, but you can harass the hell out them. The DWR will probably use volunteers this next year to help scare them off.

Last but not least. Don't let your poodles down by the lake. Or at least keep a leash on them. And keep it staked to the ground.
[signature]
thx tube for posting the info and coming.

Not much to add other than the dwr is going to put a lot of focus into restoring tributaries in the valley over the next 5 years. This year will be a lto of the planning. The next few years will be the implementation. This is good stuff.

One other fact I thought was interesting is that the fish move a lot in Strawberry. Alan said that they have documented panting fish at renegade and then having some of those same fish in a net at the laders 24 hours later.
[signature]