Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Wed. Morning?
I will be at Pineview in the morning. I am planning on starting by the boat ramp on the North West side. Does anyone know how the ice will be over there? Has anyone found perch in that area?
Will there be anyone else fishing there tomorrow?
With my bad back and heavy sled, I need the ramp to get on the ice. I hope to see others there in the morning.
[signature]
Fished East of the ramp in 12' to 46' of water. Ice was over 12" thick. Moved several times looking for perch. I found some in a couple of my holes. They were normal size no dinks. Only iced about 15.
Had the place to myself all morning and then had 3 people join me on the ice in the afternoon..
The road in is not plowed and has over 6" of snow in the parking lot. My hubs didn't work very well and I got stuck several times. Wrenched my back so bad that I stayed out on the ice longer than I had planned until my back eased up enough to head out. Now for a hot soak and some perch chowder!
[signature]
Thanks for the report I have thinking about heading up there to check it out. Sorry to hear about your back!
[signature]
Perch chowder you say? Do you have a recipe to share?
[signature]
I think that it is Tube Dudes recipe. I got it here. Who knows how to get it back up to share again. PS, it's awsome!!!
[signature]
here it is!
[size 6][font "Comic Sans MS"]PIG OUT PERCH CHOWDER (By TubeDude)[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]INGREDIENTS [/font][/size] [ul] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]1 pound lean bacon (cut into 1” pieces)[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]3-4 medium potatoes (cut into cubes or slices)[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]1 large or 2 medium onions (diced or sliced)[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]10-15 large mushrooms (diced or sliced)[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]4-6 reg. cans Cream of Potato soup (or 1 – 2 large cans)[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]1 quart whole milk (or more…to “extend”)[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]1 tablespoon crushed garlic (to taste)[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]2 teaspoons black pepper (to taste)[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]1 bunch fresh perch fillets (1# - 2#…or more)[/font][/size][/li][/ul]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] STEP BY STEP[/font][/size] [ul] [ol] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Fry bacon pieces until semi-crisp. Remove to large soup pot. Save drippings in fry pan.[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Fry potato pieces in bacon drippings, until softened and browned. [/font][/size][/li][/ol][/ul]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] Remove to soup pot, leaving as much bacon drippings as possible.[/font][/size] [ul] [ol] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Simmer onion and mushrooms together in remaining bacon drippings. [/font][/size][/li][/ol][/ul]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] Cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms mostly cooked.[/font][/size] [ul] [ol] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Add mushrooms, onions and all other ingredients (except the fillets) [/font][/size][/li][/ol][/ul]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] to the soup pot.[/font][/size] [ul] [ol] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Start cooking, first on high heat and then lower, to prevent burning [/font][/size][/li][/ol][/ul]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] of milk and soup. Stir frequently.[/font][/size] [ul] [ol] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Keep heating and stirring until fishless soup mixture is warm enough [/font][/size][/li][/ol][/ul]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] to start steaming. [/font][/size] [ul] [ol] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Add fish fillets, and stir into hot soup.[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Keep heating and stirring until fish fillets turn opaque and flaky.[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]When soup is bubbling, and fillets are broken up and mixed into it,[/font][/size][/li][/ol][/ul]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]turn off the heat begin ladling into large bowls. [/font][/size] [ul] [ol] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Serve with oyster crackers, extra seasonings, Tabasco sauce, etc.[/font][/size][/li][/ol][/ul]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]OPTIONS:[/font][/size] [ul] [ol] [ul] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]And/or other kinds of fish, shrimp, clams, oysters, scallops, etc.[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]A cube of butter (if your cholesterol count isn’t high enough)[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]1 pint heavy cream (see above)[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Carrots and/or celery…for color and/or flavor[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]I can of Cream of Onion, Mushroom, Celery…or? (Flavoring)[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Flavored croutons for serving with soup.[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Salad and garlic toast as side dishes.[/font][/size][/li][/ul][/ol][/ul]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]NOTES:[/font][/size] [ul] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Do not add salt until after soup is done. Canned soups usually have more than enough salt. [/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Keeps well in refrigerator for a couple of days. Freezing causes milk products to separate.[/font][/size][/li][/ul]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3](Hint: Make some up the day before an ice fishing trip and heat it up to thaw you out.)[/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks GOTS2FISH. If anyone likes chowder, they will like this a lot!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad somebody posted it up. That stuff puts lead on yer chest and hair on yer pencil. Whatever that means.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just in case you didn't check the ingredients, it ain't "heart healthy". After you eat a couple of hefty bowls you can just sit around and listen to your arteries harden. But, what the heck, it's so good you'll die happy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, is anybody interested in having me resurrect some of the recipes from my old book and adding some new ones, for all of our Utah fishies? Been giving it some thought.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I would love to try some new ideas for the same old fish.
Do any of them work in a dutch oven? I have a jambolia [spelling?] recipie that is great in a black pot. Very fun to cook on a camping trip.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you are a dutch oven fan, then you realize that style of cooking is designed for tougher cuts of meat that benefit by long slow cooking. Fish is more delicate and should never be overcooked. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That does not mean that you can't use fish in some dutch oven variations. The jumbalaya sounds good, and there are probably several species of fish that would work well in it. All I can suggest is to cook all of the other ingredients together for a long time, to blend the flavors well, and then dump in the fish for only the last half hour or so.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You might get some good results with my [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=216528;#216528"]CATFISH CHILI[/url] recipe, done in the dutch oven. Catfish flesh is tougher and less prone to disintegrating than trout or some of the fine fleshed warm water species. It also benefits by a lot of cooking, unlike many others. The link above is to a post I made at one time, including pics and recipe.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let me know when dinner is served.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
A coworker says he boils his smaller perch fillets and dips 'em like shrimp. Haven't tried it yet but those fillets are about the same size as a shrimp!
[signature]
[Smile] Thanks to Tubedude for sharing the chowder recipe. I've been looking for a good chowder recipe to try with perch, and maybe crappie, bluegill, striper when I make my annual trip to Lake Powell with a bunch of the guys.

Now if I can just catch some perch! TIC!
[signature]
[cool]You know that this fish muncher would be up for some more killer recipes!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'll be putting up a seperate post with several recipes in Word Doc form, for easy downloading.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sounds like great stuff, and enough to feed a small village. Thanks for sharing!
[signature]