Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I love Nymphs!!!
[#000080]I have a new found love of nymphs! Since I started fly fishing, about a year ago, I have only caught 2 trout on nymphs, and both tiny. Today my wife and I drove out to Friant (just outside of Fresno) on the San Joaquin river, just below Milerton lake. I was using some Elk Hair and King's River Caddis with no luck. After about an hour of nothing I decided to try out some Prince Nymphs and Pheasant Tails, both beadheads. The Prince Nymphs kicked butt!!! I was using a small indicator with floating line, leaving about 7' of leader and tippet below the indicator. The fishing was on fire. This place is not the hot spot for lunkers but is stocked weekly with 8"-10" 'bows throughout the year. I wasn't expecting anything at first... until my third cast I saw something I thought I'd never see... a short jerk on my indicator. I lifted the tip of my rod gently, expecting it to be a snag on the bottom. It wasn't, I felt that telltale wiggle of a hooked trout. There were two other people fishing around me who weren't catching anything. They looked at me with surprise when I landed a nice little 10" rainbow. I let it go and continued to fish. Not two minutes later, another fish. This one was a little smaller, but still fun. I continued to catch and let go three more within the next 30 min. Meanwhile the guys next me are getting skunked and pissed (don't you love it when you beat out the Power bait sit and wait guys?). I headed down stream to a promising looking spot and, nothing. I hate the "grass is greener" feeling. Anyways, I headed back and hooked another, this time right as I was lifting up to cast again. This one was nice, a lot bigger than the others. I got greedy though and didn't play it out like I should have. My tippet gave way and snapped. That was it, had to head back, my wife was getting bored and was ready to go an hour before. Bottom line, I will be spending more on nymphs from now on instead of just dry flies.
[/#000080]
Just thought I'd post share this experience.
Kyle
[Wink]
[signature]
glad to here you had a good day Discman,i also am a avid strike indicator user.its is a love,hate relationship around my parts,the "traditional" flyfishermen don't like guys fishing with a indicator around them,and also bash them, even worse when they are catching more fish than them.around here we a limited to more rollcasting than backcasting,which can make it tough to get out if your using a larger weighted fly,and a 7/8 indicator.i have a 7 wt.st croix ledgen rod,and ended up putting on a 9wt flyline to compansate for the extra weight and get distance.some guys a using the bass taper lines,that a meant for rolling up the heavy bass poppers,i have been thinking about switching now,since my line has about had it.i have found in bass pro shops have a line just for indicators and not a bad price
[signature]
tomc, I am assuming that you are using a WF, try a double taper. The bell is different and easier to cast on small streams, but, shoots the line out better, plus you can even cut it in half and have two lines at 45' which is a lot for rivers and you still have your backing if they run.
As far as strike indicators, a very large # of fly fishermen use them although they might not admit it. I don't see the problem, it helps put your fly in the zone. I have used a floating line and added some amnesia for a but section (red) and use that for a strike indicator.
Rule of thumb Discman, is to double your leader length for how deep the water is and place your indicator there, but I times I will shorten leader either on slower moving water or if I want the nymph suspended. The prince was probably representing a scud (sow bug, potato bug) which is the main food source in rivers. Caddis aren't active right now, if you want to dry, try Griffith gnats or small BWO emergers or midges. It also helps to get a book or off the net a chart of the hatches. Try a red copper john , flashback pheasant tail, haresear but smaller like 16-20.
Sounds like you got the bug though, Discman. Time to put that spinning outfit and lures aside for fishing cliffs.
One last note: To properly execute a roll cast, lift your rod above your head till the line is even with your body, or slightly behind, and forcefully point the tip where you want your fly to go. You have to do the first part of this a little quicker with a nymph to get the fly to the top of the water. Tomc probably already knows this.
Roll casting is one thing you can't practice with out water, cause you need that resistance.
Fly Goddess
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Hi there Discman - glad to hear that you had a fun outting. When the little people [10"-12"] are hitting like mad then I grab my 4wt rod. Those little suckers will jump and pull making you think that they are really bigger and mean. Just like the bait casters and spinners that keep changing their bait or color of powerbait till they hit pay dirt I find the same thing with flies. Trout don't have a play book that they use. They can be hitting on one thing now and 10 mintues later its something else they want. At least that has been my experience. Hey there flygoddess I hate to admit it but I still bring my bass and spinning rods along [naturally with my fly rod] on ever outting. SOCAL is not exactly a fly fisherperson's paradise.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4]When I travel with my relatives [generally to Wyoming] I strickly fly fish and let them use my other gear. I am not going to waste an opportunity like that to cast lures. I can do that any day down here in the desert.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Far be it for me to tell you or anyone else what rod or pole to use. Just funnin with the fellow bass player.
You are right about changing flies. Also I read never stay in one place too long. Move up the river every 10 to 20 minutes, then come back down. Sometimes just leaving a good hole for a little while and then come back and it's on again. Even changing just the color of the fly. That is beauty of fly fishing. It's not all about catching, but just being there. Even the hit-miss are fun.
And like Dry Rod said on the little dinks, I like to use my 2wt, then they don't feel like dinks no more.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]If I had a 2wt rod that is what I would use for the fish tank dwellers. [/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Amen to just being there. When I lived in Washington [where it always seemed to rain] I would be going out and people would say you have got to be nuts going fishing in the rain or snow. I dressed warmly and was prepared to wade in the icy waters. Now an ocasional Bald Eagle would make a swoop at a fish or a deer may come by for a sip of water. You can't tell me that watching TV in front of a fire is more exciting. Mother nature does fine by me. Sure do miss that part of the country.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
thanks for the new info flygoddess,yes i am using WF.and yes i know the proper way of rollcasting,lol,someday i would like to use it.the areas i fish ,i have to keep the rod out front of me,and trying to stay out of the branches.good thing for warrenty's,i go through 2-3 rod tips a year
[signature]
Sometimes it takes time to match the hatch. Dryflies, wet flies, emergers and nymphs. What stage of the game are your insects in??

I have found that in areas of No Cal as well as other parts of the US, that mother nature plays the game a little different from one part to another.

I have fished areas of NoCal keeping track of the water conditions, month, moon phase, time of year and supposed hatch and have it be totally different within the same parralel at 90 miles away.

It is always good to have an assortment of presentations and make the best of what you have.

Way to go on the nice catch.[cool]
[signature]