Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle 1/28/06
Hit Jordanelle Sat and slayed the slimers.We fished the Rock Cliff arm on about 8 inches of ice.We started out on the snowmobile to get away from the people but quickly turned around when the tracks started kickin up water and headed back a little closer to the ramp.There's still plenty of fishable ice that extends a good 2-3 hundred yards off the ramp.We fished with boogers and whatta crickets tipped with waxies and a salmon egg in 22 ft of water.Caught fish all day almost all brothers 12 inches long.John caught one 17 incher towards the end of the day.Good place to bring the kids....they should stay occupied catchin all day.Fished off the steep back across from the ramp and a little bit north.The drive home was from hell.Never seen so many vehicles doin 360's in my life!
[signature]
Thanks for the report, I might try up there this weekend. I'd like to catch one of those monster browns they have in there.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good report. Did you see or catch any perch? There were a few that showed up there about this time last year.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, slimer! Do you know if there's ice yet at the boat ramp at the Mayflower exit? Just curious.
[signature]
The PVC ramp is open but the main one is iced over...

[signature]
out4trout look at this and save [url "http://www.utahlakeview.com"]http://www.utahlakeview.com[/url]

Some one else put this up once before MANY THANKS to the one that did its great...

[signature]
"The champ" and I went up to Rock Cliffs on Saturday too, and I second Slimerslayer's report. I was catching fish from the moment my bait hit bottom. Except for one monster that "the champ" caught (see attached photo), they were all about the same size, 11-13" It would be a good place to take young kids. They wouldn't get bored. We had our limit in less than an hour. Just be sure to use small jigs because the little rainbows can't get their little mouths around anything very big. Fortunately, we left around noon and got home before the storm arrived. It was the best day ice fishing I've had all season. That's cause the only other day was the day I got skunked at Scofield!
[signature]
Nice try on the ahem "monster rainbow". Good picture. Where's the snow on them thar hills in the background?
[signature]
I fished there 2 weeks ago and it was nonstop action but the ice was a lot thinner . So I never reported it with the unsafe conditions . Good to here it is getting safer now . Lots of dink bows with a few bigger ones but still fun .
[signature]
I have to agree with bassrods, that bow looks, well, a little fishy, you forgot to add the shadow, but don't feel bad, my wife is the one pointed it out to me.
[signature]
Good report, thanks. John must have kept his fish alive becuase it has got about 3 inches bigger when he told me the story. I'll be at EC this Saturday afternoon if your interested.
[signature]
Talked to Pikeman for a while after he was done fishin and he said he caught 5 or 6 and that's what he was targeting.He was fishing a little deeper water than we were and said he couldn't get his bait through the trout down to the perch but still managed a few.Think he said he caught his perch on eyes.Said they measured out at about 7-8 inches apiece.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks SS. Since the lake grew some ice there have been a few frustrated Rockporters looking for greener (yellower) pastures. I have heard other reports of similar success. The perch are out in deeper water, but the troutskis are all over the place, with some decent browns in the hordes of small rainbows. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm kinda anxious to make some personal perch "census" expeditions myself on Lake X after iceout. There was a large dieoff on Jordanelle early last year too. I did not fish it nearly as aggressively as I did the year before, but there were not the massive perch catch reports during the summer like there was the year before.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, after talking with some DWR folks, I am wondering about the chubs in Lake X. They also went from unavoidable hordes to almost nonexistent. I am sure there will be lots of them showing up around their inshore spawning areas this spring, but they sure have not been the problem last year that they were in the past.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The other thing that bears some watching is the smallmouth population. Two years ago there was an abundance of LARGE smallies. Five pounders were almost common, with more than a few over six. Last year it was rare to catch any over about 4 pounds. There was either a mature fish dieoff or some other factor causing a sudden decline in the number of available large smallmouths. Hopefully we will see the bigger fish again this year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[Wink] Gotta say this about that MONSTER 'bow. That camera sure was set to give good depth of field. Kudos to the photographer even if he (she) didn't remember the shadow.
[signature]
So this was all on the rock cliff arm? how thick is the ice again? how much slush on top? many of us were fishing last spring from our tubes down there for the bows is it the same general area? how deep are the fish, are they on the bottom? thanks for the help I've been up to rockport and EC the last couple of weeks and done OK but nothing really great, I'm still waiting for that trip were I can't keep 'em off.
[signature]
I agree with you about the smallies, tubedude. At Jordanelle last year we fished for smallies almost exclusively. The red eyes we caught averaged around 1-1/2 to 2 lbs. We caught two or three in the 3-4 lb range. Three years ago my father-in-law caught a 5-1/2 pounder and we averaged 2 and 3 pounders almost every time we went out. We are catch-photo-release so I watched them as they slashed back into the pond. They were still frisky (can't say the same for the fishermen!)[Wink]
[signature]