Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry - New Regs Effecting Fishing?
Is it just me or has the buzz of the Berry been down this year? It seems every forum or website related to Utah usually has more Strawberry postings than anything else. I've noticed that here and on other sites the buzz is very quiet. Do you think the new regs are turning fisherman away from the Berry? I drove by it on Sat. afternoon on my way to Currant Creek and it wasn't packed as usual. Just curious if "regulars" to the Berry have seen a similiar change?

Also, what is the latest scoop on fishing there? Looking to go up over the long weekend. Thanks in advance.

F4F
[signature]

F4F
I read your post on current Creek thanks for the update!!
I don't think the new regs have much to do with the slow down up there at all.2 things make a big difference there. 1st the Ice was 4 weeks late there.2nd people tend to go to the easy place to catch fish and Strawberry is not turning out to be that this year. People are not getting skunked but their not having 30 fish days either.
Remeber years ago when we could only keep 1 Cutt. it still received a lot of pressure. Because the fishing was soooo good!!! It will make a come back.
[signature]
HFT.. I hope the new regs help to re-create the atmosphere of the past. I grew up in Wyo. fishing the Hams Fork where you could only keep 1 over 20, 1 under 20. Best slot around. Fishing was.. still is.. awesome because of it. I guess time will tell on the Berry. 15-22 is a huge slot, so it might do the trick!
[signature]
I thought of fishing the Berry this weekend,but every report I have read talked of poor fishing so I decided to fish somewhere else. Driving all the way to Strawberry to get skunked doesn't make much sense to me when I can fish in the Provo and always catch fish. That is what kept me away.

Hoosier
[signature]

Hoosier
Dude thats not the case at all. I have yet to talk to anybody has been skunked. It is not a lazy mans fishery. You will catch fish there. That means a guy who keeps his rod in his hand gives it some action,tries different lures,keeps himself mobile,can do very well.I caught 7 in 2 hours thats not bad. the guy who wants to put a spirng bobber on, drop it down and wait for something to happen will have a tougher time. Strawberry is still a top class fishery.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. That is encouraging to me; I might have to head up there this weekend. I got skunked up there a couple of times last year so I guess I just need to work a little harder at it. I stay in the same place too long a lot of times. Hopefully I can get in some practice before the big dinner on ice.
[signature]
Hey Hoosier, what stretch of the Provo you fish? Just curious. You flyfish or spinfish? The provo is great because it's so close. You just have to find your own place to fish. Can be tough sometimes. Strawberry has been a little different this year on the ice. Seems to me that you have to work for em a little harder, but that makes it funner to me. Give it a shot.

Fishman
[signature]
I live in Orem so when I need a quick fix I just fish in town. The fishing is generally good and quick to get to. I 'm a spin fisherman but I use casting bubbles and flies quite a bit. If I head up the canyon I just look for any stretch of water that is open.
[signature]
It does seem that the crowds are alot thinner this year. I'm happy to see the fish are alot heavier, longer, and finally will have a chance to grow bigger. First time there since last ice, last friday out of 40 fish caught, 2 were under 15 inches, alot were close to 22 inches, most were 18-19 inches. Its very exciting anticipating the future of the berry. In a few years it will almost be like the old berry again with giant fish. Be safe and fish on!
F4F,

I fish the berry for one reason BIG FISH. Since I wouldn't eat a Trout if that and Horsemeat were the last two things on the planet the regs have nothing to do with it. Strawberry is a long drive from the heart of the outdoor capital (Northern Utah counties). I think the lack of good quality fish in recent years has more to do with the lack of fishermen than the reg changes. I moved here in 95 and the berry was the place to go for big fish. Now it's just another failed attempt by the DNR. If we want big fish we have to have big fish lakes. I love the new regs, you want limits, go to Trial, Lost Creek, Rockport, ect. I would rather fish all day for one fish that really gave it's all than catch 56, 8" trout at Lost Creek. Since Utah became a put and take state it's not near as much fun. I maybe in the minorty here but I don't think so.

IFG